“terribly bad service”

Ranked #433 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Oslo, Norway
“terribly bad service”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that our prepayment, which was made when booking from the hotels internetpage, had not come through, and that we had to pay for the stay again. When we checked with the bank the following day, it showed that we now had paid for the room twice. When taking the print from the bank back to the hotel, they apologized and said they would correct it. To make sure the correction was carried trough properly (we didn't really trust the hotels routines anymore...), we ended up spending altogether half a day of our three days in Rome in the reception while the staff was having a hard time dealing with simple things like making the right phone-calls and getting faxes through. After messing up like this there was no attempt from the staff to make it up to us through any kind of compensation. When we suggested that that would have been the right way to handle the situation, the only answer we got was that it would have to go through the manager, and that he was not available. Altogether really bad routines and really bad service.

Room Tip: Make sure they give you the room you ordered and paid for. They gave us a different one, and when we...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adeleid H
Dear Adelied,
t. I just took in charge the management of the hotel and it is my pleasure to express my apologies towards it happened to you.
I see that nobody tried to profit of your reservation. I see that you are disappointed with the lenght of the process for reimbursing you.
I do hope you will visit Rome again in the near future.
Luigi Pirrò

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We found this hotel using trip advisor and were not disappointed. If you are traveling as a couple, it is the perfet size. We had a queen sized bed, a desk, and room to store our luggage. There was a decent sized flat screen TV on the wall. It was very comparable to what one would find in a 3 star hotel in the US only tile instead of carpet. The bathroom had a large sink with a gorgeous vanity. There was also a shower (no bathtub), toilet, bidet, and towel warmer! The best thing about the hotel is the location! We could see St. Peter's Bascilia from our window and it was only a few blocks south to get there. We traveled by metro from the airport to get there and had no trouble. Also the hotel staff speak english and are very nice. The area around the hotel is safe allowing us to walk around at night without worrying.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lauren H
Dear Lauren,
I do appreciate and I thank you for your review of Hotel Amalia Vaticano and your long list of positive points you enjoyed at our hotel..
Dear Client,
I apologize since nobody at the hotel answeared to your review in the past. I just took in charge the management of the hotel and it is my pleasure to express my thanks.
I do hope you will visit Rome again in the near future.
Zurich
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I don't like giving poor reviews, but unfortunately, this hotel deserves this rating because:
- Noise: I had a room facing the courtyard on the 5th floor. Every night some people would go out into the courtyard (even on a school night) around 11PM or midnight and make a complete ruccus for an hour or tow, that would eccho up to my room. It was awful, woke me up and I couldn't fall back asleep - and I'm not a light sleeper! I think those people live in the building and are not guests so you probably won't have better luck than I did. I called the reception multiple times to complain and there was no one there to pick up the phone, even if they claim to have a 24-hour reception. Being a woman alone, I didn't want to go downstairs or scream out the window so I had to suck it up and get no sleep.
- The walls are absolutely paper thin and you can hear people walking and clearly make out what they're saying outside your room. That just added to the aggravation.
- Although I had a confirmation, they didn't have a room for me when I arrived, which is really annoying. They ended up having to give me their junior suite (where the couch and curtain were stained and one of the phones didn't work).
- I felt completely unsafe as this is an apartment building and people just come in and out without having to go through the reception.
- My friend booked a promotion where she got a EUR 10 discount on her room. When we got there, the receptionist told us that was a mistake and she shouldn't have been able to get the discount online, but she would honor the offer. Upon checkout, a different receptionist charged her the EUR 10 and said she had to pay it. After putting up a fight, he relented.
- The receptionist upon checkout said my credit card hadn't been charged since my room was never booked, and that I should BE HAPPY they gave me the junior suite. It was condescending and irritating.
- Not the cleanest place I've been - crud stuck to my feet as I walked on the cold floor or my room. The phone handle was greasy.
- The walls were beat up, scuffed up, and covered in plaster in some spots. The door locks on mine and my friend's room stuck and were hard to open.

The one good thing about this hotel is the location - minutes from the Vatican - but I think you can probably do better staying at a B&B close by.

Room Tip: Just don't do it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mariana R
Dear Mariana,
I took in charge hotel management since a few weeks. I see your detailed description and, while you say that you "do not like to give poor reviews", in fact you did an endless review that it is quite peculiar.
Please let me say that the situation of people having made noice at night it is referred only to your personal experience and I can honestly say that never happened earlier and later your stay.
Beside the perception of overexageration, I apologise for what it is supposed to be referred to the hotel and I hope you will select different hoteld for your future experience.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Amalia is in a great location of Rome. The rooms were small but clean. My wife and I booked our room "ensuite", which means we had a bathroom in our room. Downstairs right outside the Amalia is a great place for Italian Cafe. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure when travelling to Europe, whenever you book a room in a hotel or a hostel make sure you g...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank judfry1
StaffRome, Direttore at Amalia Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Judi,
thank you so much for your review go Hotel Amalia Vaticano.
I am in charge of managing the hotel from a few weeks and I feel sorry that nobody answered your review in the past.
I really hope to see you in the future.
Milpitas, California, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2012

we stayed here in October 2011 for 5 days, 4 nights before going on a med cruise. The location was perfect -- right in the center of Rome, 10 minute walk to the Vatican, shopping and many restaurants were near by as well. The room we had was VERY small but my cousins room was like a suite for the same price we paid. I mentioned this to the front desk but they were not willing to adjust ours. First come, first serve which i think was very unfair. i would only stay there again if i knew which room i was getting. Other than that, very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The daily continental breakfast was decent too. One other problem is that the tv is in italian so if you don't speak the language, which we didn't, don't turn the tv on cause it can be annoying watching it in a language you cannot speak or understand..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple