Giglio Dell' Opera
USD 441*
USD 420*
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshamchanged dailybit datedcity breakclean towelsclose to termini stationhop on hopcontinental breakfaststayed for nightsvisiting rometrevi fountainbusessights
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We read with a sinking feelings the reviews of this hotel, We were already booked in so couldnt change, We entered expecting sour grumpy staff and found the total opposite, We were greeted with courtsey by friendly staff who made time for our 13 year old grandson , we were taken to our room which ok was a little tired but very clean and everything worked .
We had wonderfull time there no complaints about rude staff. Yes the fabric of the hotel is tired buts its an old hotel but with all the sights within walking distance resturants next door and accross the road its wonderfull for every thing needed on a trip to Rome we all enjoyed our stay there and would go back..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian B
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We only stayed here one night (which was a good thing) and then we headed to Tuscany via the Roma Termini train station. The room (and hotel itself) is in desperate need of refurbishing - did not sleep well that night - mattress was paper thin, the room was dark and the bathroom was tiny. I would not recommend this hotel for even the budget-conscious. The only thing it had going for it was that it was near the train station and we couldn't wait to check out!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Good
•Location

Bad
•elivator floor about to give
•staff rude
•Aircon non-existant
•shower sprays everywhere
•rooms dirty
•no light in bathroom
•breakfast not enjoyable in any way

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank PiresRSA
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I'll make this quick.

Good points :

*Great location - handy for public transport and access to all attractions.

Er, that's it.

Bad points :

*Rude staff (and I mean rude)
*If you're not allocated a room on floor 5, then you will be in trouble. Even then, the re-furbished rooms in this area need attention - fridge broken, showering where water is allowed to spray everywhere, beds brick hard (in my case our double bed was two single beds shoved together), rooms are NOT cleaned and are frankly filthy.
*Breakfast - OK, I know continental meals at the start of the day are carbohydrate based, but really, what passes as food in this establishment beggars belief. Stale bread, boiled eggs (cold and needing shelled), melted cheese and processed meat - Yuk.
*The lift. Blimey. Surely unsafe. The floor felt it was about to give way!!

It was a place to sleep during our 4 night stay in a beautiful and otherwise welcoming city, but for me that's not enough. Avoid if you can. Rome will be visited again by me, but a little more research will be done on accomodation and this placed will be off my list.

Room Tip: Make sure that the A/C works and avoid rooms on floor 4.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bogheadben
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I'll get the one good thing out of the way. The location is great. It is very close to the metro station and a quick walk to most of the sites to see. However, no matter how much money you are trying to save or if you are on a budget...do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever stay here.

When I arrived the reception staff would not even look me in the face. I understand that I speak English and I was visiting Italy, but to totally ignore me and be rude is unacceptable in a hotel. Especially, in the 'lovely city of Rome'. After he gave me no information on the hotel, mumbled Italian under his breath and handed me a room key a man took me to my room. I had no idea what was going on. He took me into the most unsafe elevator I have ever seen. Literally I thought the floor was going to fall through. How is this even active is beyond me. The man walked me to my room without saying a word, flicked on the light switch and left. Very awkward.
During the days I spent there the desk was no help. I simply asked where I could get some 'food'. He did not understand, so I motioned myself eating with a fork and rubbing my stomach. Obviously this means eating. He did not get it and said "No, I don't know". I realize I should have looked up food in Italian...which I would have if I needed a lot of information on something. But to not help me with 'food' is pretty brutal. You actually don't know one place in all of Rome to get a meal? Pathetic. He would just say 'no' and look down at his papers. I honestly felt like I was apart of some prank television show while staying there.

So, the room. Where do I even start...
* The fridge did not work
* The sink leaked, so every time I turned it on there would be water all over the floor
* There was a large, and I mean LARGE red stain on the carpet. I felt like I was in a murder scene
* The decor was hideous
* The beds were rock hard and the pillows were too thin to even use.
* The shower head sprayed in all directions and there was no counter place to put anything. It's pretty sad when you try to brush your teeth and get changed and you have to use the closed toilet seat as a shelf
* The place smelled like smoke
* When the room was prepared the next day the only thing they did was make the beds. I make a comment saying "wow, they actually did something right" and then realized that they had made the bed overtop of my clothes that were there. I had t-shirts and boxers under the tightened sheets. Really?

Before I continue. Know one thing about me, I love eating. I can eat anything and I am the least picky eater. Here is the 'buffet' breakfast menu.
A cold hard boiled egg
Stale bread that I could no even pull apart with my teeth
Muck coffee
Cereal

That is it. Half of the items were inedible, even for me. If my review did not convince you, please read the others. Never give this hotel any of your money. They ruined my trip to Rome.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends