“Overrated”
Review of Hotel Locarno Rome

Hotel Locarno Rome
Ranked #579 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Our booking provided an upgrade , I hate to think what there standard room was like . The sink did not drain ,it took 5 attempts for it to be sorted , the beds were of dormitory issue the plumbing squealed the bathroom floor was filthy and only came to light when a dropped tablet of soap slid across the floor and under the sink to collect all manner of body detritus an appalling room location is ideal looks good on the outside but not inside.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anthony t

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I satyed here for a couple of nights with friends while returning home from Florence. I don't remember booking it so was extremely pleasantly surprised to see that it was gorgeous in a lovely location. They immediately upgrded my room to an even better one where I slept like a log. The location is fab, near lots of restaurants and the centre of Rome. Gorgeous lookign hotel, with lots of art deco and a lovely outdoor terrace. Loved it and will return I hope.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank fionadesmond
Reviewed 6 May 2012

It looks great and cool and is in a fashionable part of town with lots of really good eateries within walking distance, but ...........

It all started when we were checking in, and the Hotel asked us to downgrade, as a couple needed a Room NOT Directly above the Bar, so their child could sleep - the noise was horrendous.

We were then shown to our Rooms by a Bellboy, who seemd to be devoid of any understanding of his job (Baggage) or base courtesies (Guest 1st !!).

Rooms described as 'De Luxe' proved basic, but large with positively antique bathrooms.

Dinner Reservation made beforehand proved a dumb decision as they didn't have a Restaurant - simple bar food, served at whichever table you could squeeze into/around.

Squeeze was the operative word, as the Place was packed with Teens and 20s, which gave the place the look-and-feel of a Student Union bar in Freshers Week.

We ate elsewhere as a result.

Ditto for the rest of our long w/end. In fact we only even had breakfast there.

Rome was fabulous and always is, but this place ........... like I said - Oh dear

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I have passed through Rome many times over the years & usually stay at one of the horrible hotels near Termini or at a hugely overpriced 'inn' in the centre...Prior to finding the Hotel Locarno I had lost all hope of finding anything reasonable in Rome & so would pass through the city & choose to stay in an area more convenient than romantic.
We stayed at the Hotel Locarno in July last year after hearing that it is a unique experience in Rome & still retains some 1950's romance- Being a big fan of Fellini I was immediately keen to stay!
I read the some of the reviews on here & was admittedly hesitant but given the rate offered by Locarno was not much more than I had paid to stay in hotels near the station I threw caution to the wind!
I was very happy with that decision...it is by no means perfect & it is 'old world' but it has its own charm...The free bikes hire, huge rooms & a fantastic bar are the highlights of this hotel... Another great feature is the old lifts & claw footed bath in the rooms..though my husband was not very keen on the old lift & preferred to use the stairs..

I loved it...even though it was a little rough around the edges & is showing it's age somewhat...

They miss out on a top mark from me for a few reasons...issues with an airport transfer we had arranged through the hotel which was never arranged for us & we had to follow up 3 times in a 24hour period to ensure it was arranged...lots of confusion...(& I speak fluent Italian)
It is a little untidy & the bar menu could do with a shape up- it may seem picky but I hate being handed a dirty, creased, plastic peeling away at the edges cocktail menu in a beautiful bar where you pay 13 euro for a drink...it's all about the details!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at Hotel Locarno my very first night in Rome. From the moment I pulled up, I loved everything about the hotel. It's art deco charm and character were exactly what I was looking for, from the lobby to the old fashioned elevator to the gorgeous roof top garden. This is the perfect hotel if you're looking for "real" Rome and old world charm. It's unique and full of character. My single room had a tiny little bed, an adequate bathroom and a large window with wooden shutters I could throw open to breathe in the Roman air. It was noisy during the day, so perhaps not the best choice if you're a napper or looking to sleep in, but who wants to waste time in Rome sleeping? The included breakfast was fantastic. The location was ideal. I was easily able to explore the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Coloseum all on foot. Book directly with the hotel online; you'll get the best deal. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to request non smoking when booking. Don't miss the rooftop garden!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo