“Upgraded to Suite”
Review of Hotel Opera Roma

Hotel Opera Roma
Ranked #422 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Booked two nights at the main property Hotel Sonya but arrived to early in the morning to check in. So we left our luggage and headed out to explore Rome. When we returned hours later exhausted we found we had been upgraded to a suite up the block in the Hotel Opera. With an abundance of room, comfortable king size bed, jetted shower and a whirlpool tub we enjoyed our days and nights in luxury. The staff was outstanding, reliable and accommodating. Each morning we enjoyed the typical Italian breakfast and coffee. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great location and awesome quality.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Opera Roma

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I use TripAdvisor to choose all my hotels and this is the first time I have ever completely disagreed with the majority of reviews. This place was so bad that my husband and I switched to a different hotel within an hour of check in!

First, the entrance is hard to find. We hauled our luggage around Rome for much longer than we needed to because the hotel is a little buried. It is in a good part of town (close to the train station and Via Nazionale), but on a small side street with little signage. I was immediately concerned when there were bars over the doors and we had to be buzzed in.

The lobby was small but the gentleman at check in was very friendly. However, our room was the major problem. I think we got room 102 that people have warned about in other reviews. I'm convinced it's a converted closet. We saw one room with a room number and then a tiny door next to it with no room number, just labeled "private". That was our room! It was so small that we could not lay our suitcases down to open them. Literally. And to walk to the bathroom, I had to walk OVER the bed because I couldn't squeeze by the space between the end of the bed and the "closet". I'm 4'11" and weigh 115 pounds. If I can't squeeze by, that's saying a lot! We tried to be optimistic and my husband opted to take a shower to start fresh. About 60 seconds into his shower, the bathroom almost flooded because the shower drain was so backed up. He had to turn off the shower every minute for a minute to let it drain before repeating the cycle. We had had enough and immediately went to another hotel around the corner on Nazionale to book a new room. (Sidenote: We had a great stay there - see my other reviews!) We then notified the front desk we'd be departing and, to their credit, the man was very sorry and repeatedly tried to upgrade us to stay. BUT why would you put someone in a bad room in the first place? Bad business and we will not be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank happycj24
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was not a hotel like you would find at home. It is a small reception area with a small breakfast room just off it, in a building that has ordinary apartments in it. The Hotel owns two floors, in saying that the rooms are lovely, they are clean and well furnished with a mini bar that is very reasonably priced. Were this hotel scores high in my opinion is the very friendly and obliging staff, Lito in the reception was great he gave us a map with all the sights marked of with the easiest routes to and from the hotel with bus numbers to always get us back to the hotel. He ordered taxis when we needed them and stored our bags on the last day. The girl in the breakfast room was great she made the most wonderful coffees and teas any way you liked them with seconds and thirds even, on the last day when my daughter came down late just before our taxi arrived she rushed to get her coffee and a croissant and insisted she ate it so she would not be going out on an empty stomach, they were all so thoughtful. As long as you know it is not going to be a Jurys, but a lovely little Italian hotel then you won't be disapointed with the location or the staff or the good clean rooms. All the sights are about a 10-15 minute walk, the only time we used transport was to go to the Vatican and the pantheon everything else was an easy walk, just to let my fellow Irish travellers know the food in the Irish pub around the corner is not what you would want, stick to the little Italian street cafes or the Macdonalds across the road, if you want something familiar.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2012

When we arrived at the address of this hotel we instantly felt that we had made the right choice. The entrance was very pretty, enclosed, clean and 'Italian looking' with a marble tiled floor and a scenic painted wall to greet you. You get buzzed in everything feels very safe and secure. Reception was very efficient and friendly. The room although small (104) was spotless and well maintained. Tea and coffe making comes free. Mini bar and safe in room. Interms of location, it was perfect. close to the train station (5 mins walk), surrounded by a variety of restaurants. We found the area lively and atmospheric without being rowdy.

Breakfast was continental style, coffee and tea was good and there was plenty of choice to eat, yoghurts, fruit, danish pastries, ham & cheese, eggs etc.

I would recommend this hotel, it was the perfect for seeing the sights and then retreating to for the night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 2 March 2012

100m to Republicca Metro, 300m to Termini main Rome station, supermarket 200m down Via Nationale.......walking distance to so many places or metro....clean,beautifully appointed bathroom and sleeping......excellent friendly knowledgeable staff.....buffet breakfast all you need and all up excellent value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple