“Authentic Neapolitan cuisine - Go Early and reserve”

Trattoria da Vittorio
Ranked #374 of 3,202 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2017

I am neapolitan (but I write in English to promote tourism to my city). I really enjoy small osterias and there are 20 or so which are true gems (read my other reviews). Vittorio is one of them. The secret to eat well in Naples is to go before 12.30 or 20.30 in the evening to avoid long cues and rushed service.
The menu is very limited to a handful of primi and secondi. the waiter tells you which pasta is currently cooking which will be served very quickly.
My advice, order one dish at the time to avoid being served too fast.
Everything is good. Special mention to the Baccala (cod), Genovese pasta and Pasta e Fagioli. Very small, reserve and be there at 12.
P.s. not easy to find, use Google Map

Reviewed 16 August 2016

On via Diocleziano 67, the restaurant is at the corner of a recessed laneway just up from Via Cavalleggeri d'Aosta (the street which leads to the train station). The six tables, of various sizes, seat a total of 26 people. The menu is displayed on a blackboard on the back wall opposite the entrance. The prices are not shown; however, we found them very reasonable and so ordered whatever we liked along with house wine. The dishes were freshly made to order (you can watch don Vittorio prepare and cook if you have a table opposite the entrance to the kitchen). The service was relaxed, so bring your patience. We did notice an order of precedence in the service: first - known, regular customers, then - take-away, and finally - strangers. The service was polite and professional but little more, and also depended on which waiter was serving that night. Praise to Alfredo who was welcoming and pleasant to everyone; his colleague could learn. The restaurant opened at 7 p.m. and by around 8 p.m. could be full given the small number of seats, its popularity and central location. (Note that it is closed on Sundays; otherwise, hours were Monday to Saturday, lunchtime, and dinner 7 p.m. till 11 p.m., but check.) Since the surrounding area was mainly residential, there were not many other restaurants. As Cucina Tipica is one of an ever-declining number of traditional trattorias (unfortunately being replaced by ubiquitous and monotonous pizzerias), we ate there on several occasions during our stay at the Hotel Cristiana nearby. Though the menu was limited, there was sufficient choice for several nights of trying different dishes and reordering those we especially liked. Dining there was a memorable highlight of our visit to Naples and environs after a day of sightseeing. We spoke some Italian, and so had no problem ordering; I have noticed that all the other TripAdvisor reviews are in Italian, so some prior knowledge of the language would probably help you. Buon appetito e buon divertimento!

Reviewed 5 August 2016

It was not as good as others wrote. The spaghetti bolognese had so little meat but they charged 8euro. With this price we had a really meaty and delicious hamburger at a proper steak house nearby! Also, the dishes did not look or taste very good. I mean they were ok but when it comes to Italian standard they were quite below average.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

I came here with my boyfriend for a quick dinner before a concert at the nearby arena. The restaurant is on the corner of the "main street" and is super tiny. The staff was nice and accommodating. We came around 7:30 on a Friday night and it was just us and another tourist couple. We each had a starter and a main course, a bottle of wine and sparkling water, and 2 bottles of the house wine to go, and the bill was about €35. Amazing deal for great food! I was tempted by their sign of the meatballs causing feelings of nostalgia and happiness, so I had a couple of those. (Maybe I'm biased, but they were not as good as my Calabrian grandmother's). Still tasty, though! My boyfriend had the baccala and he loved it!

Reviewed 14 July 2016

It is tipical Italian food. The staff didn't understand You by eanglish but it is not problem. Not so expencive. Teasty dishesh. Nice atmosphere.

1  Thank Kamil H