“Old citynof Napoli, that's amore”
Review of Centro Storico

Centro Storico
Ranked #46 of 849 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This part of Naples is considered the historic center of the city, which contains the Palazzo Reale and the splendid churches of Gesù Nuovo, San Lorenzo and Santa Chiara.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I found the closer you are to the coast the cleaner and prettier the city it. There are some great things about Naples but the city is quite dirty once it is out of the touristic district.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)
All reviews
"narrow streets"
in 24 reviews
"every corner"
in 14 reviews
"laundry hanging"
in 4 reviews
"historical centre of naples"
"real napoli"
"piazza"
in 13 reviews
"absorbing"

Reviewed 4 April 2018

This is one of the best photography spots in Naples.....it has a feel of the Vatican City. The view is gorgeous and has many historical facts about this place. It is definitely one of the most photographed spots in Naples. Lovely and fascinating and not to be missed.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I had similar feeling when I was in Vatican, the view is just too good, from this place you can visit at least 5 more spots in the city / like Castl dell Ovo... /

Reviewed 5 March 2018

I consider Centro Storico to be the heart and soul of Naples. This historic district offers churches with architecture ranging from Gothic to Rococo; absorbing museums; old palaces that date back centuries; artisans carrying on the family tradition; lovely squares; inexpensive pizzerias; bars; restaurants; shops; and much more. I spent two days wandering through this UNESCO World Heritage Center, and my only regret was that my schedule prevented a longer stay for exploration. At least we stayed in a B&B located here, so we found ourselves in the middle of the action and didn't have to spend time traveling to get here.

I would describe Centro Storico as fascinating but gritty. Those who dislike graffiti, crumbling buildings, refuse in streets and much noise from residents shouting back and forth would likely dislike the experience. Crowds in places can overwhelm. And narrow, side streets often display drying laundry overhead. But all contribute to the authenticity of a very special place

Spaccanapoli and Via Tribunali are two of the major streets and give easy access to many tourist attractions. My favorites include church of Santa Clara with its cloister featuring hundreds of majolica tiles; the amazing "Veiled Christ" in Museo Cappella Sansevero; and Caravaggio's haunting masterpiece, "Seven Acts of Mercy," Pia Monte della Misericordia's major draw. Shrines to the Virgin Mary appear many places with fresh flowers placed at the Madonna's feet. Lively conversation seem to be in progress everywhere.

Wherever I wandered, I always felt safe; but I made it a point to keep my valuables safely secured so I did not look like a buffet to any pickpocket. Whenever I interacted with residents here, they were extremely friendly. I have to admit to being a bit wary when I arrived in Naples, but I left totally charmed.