All reviews jk place the general manager stuffy hotel marina grande cliff side finest hotels public beach every single detail welcoming drink bath and shower mount vesuvius la fontelina minute drive breakfast was amazing hotel is beautifully decorated hotel experiences busy road
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I spent 4 days here in September. I think the critical reviews on this site of service are unfair: this is a gorgeously put together hotel with very good service. After the reviews on this site we were braced for some upsets, but there were none. We were addressed by name by staff (but not so often that it looked contrived) and all aspects of service were tip top. Just once in 4 days we were asked our room number - generally, these little details just got done, and I personally much prefer not to be made to sign continual checks by the pool and at dinner. Food was good, not the best Italian food on the planet, but certainly the best that we ate in Capri. The menu covered all the usual Italian favourites, but we often asked for something else, which was never an issue. The buggy service to town was punctual and fun. Room service was faultless. The bathroom of our suite was the best hotel bathroom I have ever seen.

Capri is a tourist trap, but this hotel is spectacular and is how modern hotels should be.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We stayed at JK Capri for approx. 3 weeks in July-August 2007 -- so we really got to know the hotel well -- having been to Capri many times before and previously staying at some of Capri's other well known hotels -- we had something to compare it with.

The hotel is simply breathtakingly beautiful. The villa is something out of a Ralph Lauren ad meets mediteranean paradise -- and it's exquisitely contemporary decorated from the moment you walk into the hotel.

The hotel is meant to feel like a private "beach house" -- which means that you never actually see the bill for drinks, food etc -- its all automatically billed to your room.

We stayed in 2 types of rooms during our stay -- and both rooms are beautiful, comfortable, spacious and I believe almost all have a view of the sea.

Having said all of this -- it's so annoying for me to have to write, that the service just does not live up to the price or star rating of this hotel -- which makes it so unfortunate.

I too have seen the woman in the white pant suit parading around the hotel during the day and early evening -- but she clearly is meant to be more of a PR woman, than someone who solves problems -- and she seems surprised every time she hears about one.

The staff is usually friendly (especially at check-in when they shake your hand as friends) -- but are in general very, very slow --bordering sometimes on simply unprofessional.
Every night, we would sit on the terrace for a cocktail -- and it would take min. 10 minutes before anyone came around to take our order. Most nights we had to go inside to get the attention of the server and order our drink.

The terrace of the hotel is very beautiful -- but also very boring at night/evening. There is hardly anyone sitting there (only some waiting for others to get ready we suspet) -- the waiters are hard to spot or don't come out -- there is no cocktail card -- and they don't make drinks out of the ordinary.
The music played on CD (Norah Jones) was the same very, very slow music 3 weeks in a row -- and most nights you sit there alone. How I wished for this hotel that they would get this bar area/terrace just a little more lively at night -- at least just for a few hours -- and get their staff on track and professionally bar trained -- it's such a shame that it's not more together, like the decor is.

You are encouraged to ask for what you want for breakfast and lunch -- but when I did so I was made fun of by the head waiter/manager when I asked for something as Italian as mortadella -- he said that it was out of season (!) -- which I guess is a good answer for tourists who are clueless, but not for those who know a thing or two about food and are well travelled -- and I didn't appreciate being made out to be a "tourist who doesn't know better" when I am Italian, but spoke English with my husband -- therefore understanding the waiter in Italian, which he did not know.

After having stayed there for 3 weeks -- the lunch menu got a bit tedious -- as it's a very small lunch selection -- and it never changed while were there. When I then asked for a toasted panino for a lunch item -- I was looked at as if I was asking for the impossible.

The Pool:
They don't have enough sun loungers -- so if you come after 11:00 -- the pool boy will tell you that they simply don't have any more -- and then you simply can't stay by the pool! The pool boy know it's a problem -- but you sort of don't want to blame them.
They say you can't reserve a sun chair in advance in the morning -- but then there are some who can -- and they can't seem to explain this system -- until after we were there for 1 week, then one day we were allowed to.
There is also not enough space for the loungers around the pool sometimes -- so it gets very cramped -- but at the same time, they won't allow you to move the loungers on the grass though -- so you will simply be out of luck if you don't come early -- which made many people very angry.
Also, if you come on the day that the pool boy is off -- there is simply no bar service around the pool that day, period. We had to CALL the hotel from the pool, in order to get someone to come out and get our order!
Also, the concierge staff are not really up to date on what is an authentic restaurant experience in Capri vs. where all the tourists eat in Capri. Packages I had delivered to the hotel ended in the wrong room -- or I had to get the signature of whom from the hotel had signed for my package -- even though they denied having received it.
The service is usually friendly -- but HORRIBLE for a 5 star hotel and pricing -- and its such a shame that the service doesn't live up to the beautiful decor and design -- and that they don't have more initiatives to make the hotel a little more lively in the evening. If you can live with this and you like contemporary style decor a la Ralph Lauren/Hamptons inspiration, 3 days max is ok at this hotel -- anything more and you will become extremely annoyed with the serice and the little things that simply don't work/function at this hotel (as well as the location not being next to main square and shopping)
This is also not a hotel to stay at -- if you like a little bar scene in the evenings -- or any life whatsoever in the evenings-- its dead calm -- almost boring -- and it's such a shame.
If you want a hotel with more of a "scene" in the evenings for cocktails etc and close to the shopping, stay in Hotel Quisisana -- if you want more of a Italian/Meditteranean style decor stay at Capri Palace -- if you want more of an intimate setting similar to JK Capri but walking distance to the main shopping and lively scene, try La Scalinatella or Casa Morgana.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mcallas
Reviewed 29 June 2008

It's very rare to find a hotel that lives up to what its website promises… but JK Capri not only lives up to the pictures shown on its website, it is even more beautiful, relaxing and perfect.

We arrived at Capri from Rome via Naples. While on the ferry, I called the concierge at JK and told him that we will get there in half an hour. No problem. A driver with perfect manners met us by the ferry, took our luggage and whisked us to this paradise.

At the lobby, a nice male receptionist shook our hands warmly and immediately invited us to the terrace to have a welcome drink on the house. The sea view from this terrace is simply breathtaking and so relaxing it was simply heavenly.

We booked a "superior double with sea view" room and what we got was the most beautiful room with privet terrace overlooking the sea. The bed was perfect, the minibar full and free and the bathroom large and stunning. Everything was so nicely done and the whole room had a very "new" feel to it, so much so we felt we were the first guests staying in this room, which of course we weren't.

The pool is very nice and relaxing. They have pool boys that prepare your sun bed for you and also function as waiters, should you'll need a drink. The gym is small but very high-end and the spa simply wonderful.

The hotel is more like a resort, but what a stylish resort it is… its so quiet, so relaxing and everything is done so luxuriously, that you get the "this is the life…" feeling and you simply don’t want to leave.

The service is top notch. True, it's not the fastest, but I don’t think that it's slow at all. It is relaxed, friendly and perfectly accommodates the very essence of this place. Breakfast buffet is above average and if you want eggs simply ask one of the waitersand it will be done a la carte.

JK Capri is perfect for people who seek a luxurious place to get intimate with each other: honeymooners and in-love couples will enjoy the serenity and relaxing energy they'll find here, accompanied with the best design both man and nature can offer.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple