“Surpisingly good.”

Ranked #64 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Norway
“Surpisingly good.”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

40 years ago my husband and I visited Sorrento and stayed at Zi Teresa. This year we were back with some friends. The hotel had of course changed.
In the reception we were met by a very firendly English speaking receptionist. The rooms were quite big and we had a small balcony.
The breakfast was good. We travel a lot and I can't understand that people can complain about the food. A new cake every day made my day.The guys in the breakfast room were very service minded. One of the guys in special.
It is located a short distance from the centre and away from the main street that can be rather noisy.
I will absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank tiaNorway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
edinburgh
Reviewed 15 November 2011

After reading all the reviews I was a bit anxious about coming here.
I found the hotel clean, nice staff ( if you're friendly they recipricate!) and it was relatively handy for getting to the main areas.
Food was edible and we never found anything stale. The bread is different to ours so will appear crustier and chewier.
Dining room staff were pleasant and we even managed to get smiles from the oldest waiter eventually! We were given the oppertunity to change our table to a quiter spot away from a large group of schoolchildren.
a definate negative is the thin walls!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank smogEdinburgh
lady73098, Direttore at Hotel Zi Teresa, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear SmogEdinburgh,
thank you very much for Your objective and precise comment. We thank You very much having tried to do us justice and we apologize if You have found some fault that made your stay in Sorrento less nice. We don't know if we will be able in a short term's time to begin some structural jobs to remedy the so thin walls, but surely we will schedule them in the future.

Thanks again.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. As it was just 3 star we thought it would be ok as a base for our sightseeing but it was much nicer than expected. Lovely food & charming dining room staff & manager. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor. Ours was on the 5th & was lovely
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jannmarcus
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Lovely clean hotel rooms a fair size and kept very clean. Main problems were you could hear everything said next door through the air vents and the shower was either burning hot or freezing cold in 30 second bursts!
We only had breakfast 2 days as everything offered was incredibly stale and the coffee was revolting. We went out for breakfast after that as a fresh pastry and a good coffee is reasonably cheap to buy.
As for the dinners, if we had the money to eat out we would have. The food was either bland or oversalted, a bit like an Italian version of bad school dinners. On the evening I couldn't bring myself to eat the putrid mountain of gloop in front of me the head waiter took it away muttering "BRITISH" in a very disparaging way under his breath. Two nights dessert was a plate with 2 small bunches of seedless grapes, a rock hard unripe peach and an unripe (still green) orange between 2 of us. The ultimate had to be the night the waiter got very excited about giving us Inglese Trifle which unfortunately contained grey custard, elderly aunties everywhere would be spinning in their graves! The bread rolls got more stale as the week went on to the point where they could be used as an offensive weapon.
Most surreal moments were the appearance of a very depressed looking Italian man with a Casio keyboard who sat and played such musical delights as The Girl From Ipanema while tears of laughter rolled down our cheeks. Also the lovely 95 year old lady who hadn't been provided with a wheelchair and was given an office chair on wheels and rowed herself along the marble floors with her walking stick.
The daytime receptionist was lovely but not so much the one on at night. Who after berating us for not leaving our keys when we went out then shouted the Italian for Lesbians at his colleague at the bar at the top of his voice while we were still waiting for the lift.
If you want a hotel on a room only basis then Zi Teresa would be fine but at all costs avoid the food.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chrissie1907
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We found the best part of the hotel was Michele at the front desk. He was always smiling and immensely helpful at giving us directions and information. The room was clean and nice enough, the bed comfortable but lacked a clock. We liked having a balcony. The downside is the room is noisy especially in the bathroom, where you can hear intimate details of what is going on in your neighbor's bathroom through the vent. Shower head was broken and water temperature fluctuated.

The breakfast was almost inedible, I saw a pastry that actually had mold on it and there was not much to eat besides pastries. The cappuccino was ok. We were the youngest couple we saw there and so it felt a bit like being in a retirement home cafeteria.

My main complaint was that we tried to use the telephone in the room to make an international call via a phone card. The info card in the room says to just dial 0 for an outside line. I tried to do so and got a busy signal. I called the front desk and he reiterated to dial 0 then the country code and number (it was the younger desk attendant). I tried again several times and to no avail. I called the desk again to ask if perhaps there was a problem with our phone, and was told the phones in the rooms usually work but I could make my call from the desk if I wished. Being that it was a personal phone call that wasn't going to be brief, I declined. Unfortunately due to scheduling that was my only chance to make the call and I missed out. The next day I mentioned it to Michele at the desk, and he said he would turn our phone line on for us. Apparently you have to request this before you can use the phone in the room! Would have been nice for that to have been mentioned when we checked in, or on the pamphlet in the room, or maybe during one of my 2 phone calls to the desk. Or perhaps, they could just do it automatically when you check in! I am going to chalk it up to a language barrier because there is no other reasonable explanation.

Also we would have loved a pool.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple