1,260 results
All reviews steep hill shuttle bus sea view bay of naples pool area half board evening meal every hour amazing views cliff facing lovely hotel restaurant staff shuttle service reception staff head waiter pool towels our honeymoon
Reviewed 18 August 2016

My friend and I stayed at this hotel in early August. We stayed here as part of a wedding party. The views from the poolside of this hotel are absolutely beautiful, particularly at sunset. There are always plenty of sun loungers available and the poolside bar staff are friendly and make lovely cocktails - which is a bit dangerous when you're on a tab!

The food however is not the nicest and is also not the cheapest. I ordered a meal for lunch and was presented with a microwaved, frozen in the middle, disappointment for which I paid around 15 euros for the pleasure. The hotel is quite some trek to town and any local restaurants and the only way to access this is by an expensive taxi, a treacherous walk down the tight, winding hill or a shuttle bus - which does not run between 6 and 9.30ish in the evening. I think this may be to encourage guests to use the restaurant in the hotel. Don't be put off by this as there are some lovely eateries in town.

There also appear to be a lot of rules! I studied the welcome pack which advises that you cannot bring your own food/drink into the hotel and you cannot use the fridge in your room for your own items or you will be charged. I have done some travelling in my time and have to admit I've never yet seen a hotel that charges for putting things IN the fridge. I do not see the harm in bringing in your own snacks and bottled water/soft drinks as purchasing all of this at the hotel is very costly.

The rooms were a little on the small side but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was good and the balcony was superb! However a light at night time would be lovely. The staff at the restaurant were welcoming too.

Despite this, for those who are looking for somewhere in Sorrento to relax and have some peace and quiet, this is a great hotel and the view/pool is what you're paying for. However, if you want something a little more lively and less restrictive, then somewhere closer to the town might be more suitable.

I have rated the service as a 3 but only due to the food.

Room Tip: Request a sea facing room
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2016

I stayed at this hotel in June with my girlfriend and we had a fantastic time. The views, rooms, pool, air conditioning and all of the other important stuff was all excellent, but it was the service that really stood out. The bar staff and waiters were truly amazing, and we fell deeply in love with Giuseppe and all of the values he represents.
I wrote him a poem, which I really hope translates into Italian.

“Buongiorno!” says he, with a glint in his eye.
“Bon jorno”, say I (well I give it a try).
He says, “come sta?” which sounds quite polite.
I want to reply but I don’t know what’s right.
He teaches me how to say, “Fine thanks, and you?”
(Giuseppe says it’s, “Bene, grazie. E tu?”)

My hand gets a shake, my wife gets a dance;
Italian waiters - fluent in romance.
He adores her dress and he praises my shirt.
We both love Giuseppe, he’s such a big flirt.

He’s charming and sweet, dressed sharp like his wit.
“Anywhere in particular you’d like to sit?
It’s a beautiful day, why not sit in the sun?”
We both love Giuseppe, because he’s number one.

He walks – no he glides – to a table for two,
In a beautiful spot with a beautiful view,
I ask for some help; I don’t know my wine.
“Well sir, the Montepulciano’s divine”.
When I order us two he says, “Yes certainly,
But I take it that you mean two bottles sir, si?”

I order the chicken which sounds a delight.
He says with a wink, “Do you like left breast or right?”
I know it’s a joke but it catches me out.
We both love Giuseppe, of that there’s no doubt

Giuseppe’s a man with a joke up his sleeve,
I don’t want to go, but on Friday we leave.
He was funny and kind, he was clever and peppy.
We’re sure going to miss him, we both love Giuseppe.

From James in room 316

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank James M
Reviewed 15 August 2016

I've rated this a 3, but I think 3.5 is fairer. It's not a 4 as that implies that it was very good, which it almost was...

This area of Italy is truly stunning, from the amazing food, to the coastal views, the historical sites to visit and the lovely Prosecco! It has it all.

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Grand Hotel Paradiso.

Located nearer to Sant' Agnelo than Sorrento, it's located a few minutes drive up a steep hill which offers the most amazing views over the bay of Naples, Vesuvius and Sorrento.

We stayed in a standard room, which did not have a sea view, but luckily, did not face the rear which was a view of a wall, but the side which had small courtyard. The exterior of the building needed a bit of down season painting IMO.

Location - stunning! Absolutely stunning!! The views are jaw droppingly beautiful. Sorrento is walkable, approx a 25 minute walk into the main square at Sorrento. I wouldn't advise walking up as the hill is steep!

Reception - our first contact with the reception was disappointing frankly. For a 4 star hotel, there was no doorman or anyone to help us with our bags. The reception staff were not exactly smiley either and that does make a big difference. You're not made to feel welcome. It was all very pragmatic and instructional. Later in the holiday, we needed to change a wet pool towel for a dry one, and the staff were very suspicious about why we wanted to do this! It had just been raining!!!

Staff - quite surly at reception but the restaurant staff were great.

Room - as said above, we had a standard room. We would have loved a sea view, but they were fully occupied. Our room was smallish but nicely decorated. Sadly, the double bed is in fact two single beds pushed together, which was not that comfortable. Our balcony looked out onto the side of the property, which was mainly a view of lemon trees. So not that bad considering that most of the stand rooms look to the rear with a drab view.

Breakfast - an buffet affair, with the normal continental breakfast offerings, such as cereals, hams, cheeses, fruit etc, plus scrambled eggs and either sausage or bacon. You can eat inside or outside. The coffee was not brillant.

Lunch - the best offering the hotel provided, in our opinion. Some really nice salads, fish dishes and, if you want it, pizza and burgers.

Dinner - the most disappoining aspect of the hotel. Firstly, you cannot reserve a table. 1st come, 1st served. The food is average. The price is reasonable, approx 20 euros per dinner and Prosecco about 12 per bottle, which was lovely. If only the food matched anything you'd find in Sorrento, we would have been much happier.

Pool area - overall, very good. The view is staggering and you could stare out for hours. The sunbeds were comfortable if a little close to the nearby beds. The pool water was very cool (temperature), but that was nice on a hot day!

WIFI - not brilliant, if that's important to you. I picked up 4g so I switched the WIFI off.

Getting around - Sant Agnelo is a short walk and there is a train station located there with trains going to Pompei and Napoli. Approx 3 euros each. Excellent value. The hotel shuttle bus runs into Sorrento about 7 times a day, but the last run down is 6:10. We often got a taxi back, which costs approx 18-20 euros.

In the area;
Pompei - get there early as the crowds arrive soon after. Well worth the trip.
Sorrento - loads of restaurants and café's. Top tips, L'Antica Trattoria and Da Emilia.
Amalfi coast - hire a car and soak up the most stunning views.
Positano - worth the trip but very busy when we visited. Park at the bottom is my tip as the walk back up the hill / stairs was very hard and I've just climbed a mountain!
Don Alfonso - the best restaurant I have ever been to is in Sant Agata. Expensive? Very. Incredible service? 100%. Food? Out of this world.

Overall, we liked the hotel but there were some medium things that we found disappointing. I would recommend this mainly due to the lovely location up from Sorrento.

Room Tip: Anywhere but the rear elevation. Front offers sea views, sides not bad either, but not the rear!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016

We enjoyed a ten day stay at the Art Hotel Gran Paradiso in Sorrento during late July and took five rooms so that our family could join us for our wedding at the Chiostro di San Francesco.

This is ot the prettiest of hotel but this doesn’t matter, first impressions are very good with a smart reception greeting us with an easy checking in process and a hard working porter who whisked our cases to the room.

Our room on the second floor was a good size double that was modern, immaculately clean, and had a large terrace with distant views across the bay and a very smart, modern ensuite shower room. Some nice touches included branded slippers, mini bar, pool blankets, hairdryer, safe, good free WiFi, air-conditioning and a modern wall mounted TV that included a number of English speaking channels. Our room was nicely decorated with framed art and we were very pleased with the overall standard.

It is worth noting that if you choose a room on the first floor then you will not get any views other than of a wall and the neighbouring vines – which disappointed other guests we spoke to. Having taken five rooms we were able to see a varying quality to the art in each room with one being simple pieces of paper with sketches attached to the wall – not quite my style but maybe I just didn’t get it. However, our group were very happy with their rooms which again otherwise well equipped and appointed. Tip - just pay a little extra and get a room on the 2nd floor or higher and with sea views; well worth it.

Meals were served within the dining room or on the terrace and the latter is a really lovely place to dine. Breakfasts were very good with a wide choice of croissants or pastries; cooked options such as scrambled egg, bacon, etc; fruit, yogurts and so much more. Food is self-service with waiter service providing coffee/tea.

Evening meals were three course each night and always of a very high standard with really friendly and enjoyable waiter service – really excellent service in fact. The quality of cuisine was very high with a new menu each evening perhaps except for the deserts which are far too sweet for me. Live music/DJ added some entertainment for the evenings around the pool bar whilst enjoying their daily cocktail special offer.

The pool is large (and a lovely temperature!) and, being an adults only hotel, there is a certain calm than enables you to really relax. The setting overlooks the Bay of Naples with panoramic views across the town, mountains and across the bay to Vesuvius.

This setting does mean that you are on a steep hillside setting and a good ten minutes drive from the town centre. However, the hotel lays on a free and regular shuttle service throughout the day that we made very good use of. A relatively short walk down the hill is a stretch of some small shops and bars but the walk back is a killer!

The only negatives were that whilst most of the reception staff were really pleasant, there were a couple whom we found very frosty and the lunches were too large and too expensive.

Overall this hotel will appeal if you want a high standard of accommodation, very good service, lovely views and a peaceful place to sunbath. If you want to be in the heart of the town then try elsewhere.

We would very much recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view as rooms to the rear may disappoint some people
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

This hotel is fabulous! It's at the top of a steep hill which means you need the hotel minibus to get out and about but it's worth it for the views. They are breathtaking.
We had a superior sea view room which was really big with a huge balcony overlooking Sorrento Bay...Naples, Vesuvius, Ischia Island all visible. Sunsets are stunning.
Staff are very helpful. Hotel is very clean. Pool is gorgeous. Food is good with dining inside or out. Only niggle re food is no fresh fish. Plenty of loungers and pool bar is beautiful area.
Limited entertainment but enough.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple