All reviews private beach outdoor shower amalfi coast amazing views large terrace minute walk to town hotel restaurant corner room junior suite the cliff pastries overlooking the bay breakfast was included reception area breakfast room view from the balcony train station
Reviewed 8 October 2017

We stayed in at La Tonnarella for 4 nights and used it as a base for our trips to the surrounding area. I had mixed feelings about the hotel so I'll give a short run down of the pros and cons.

Pros
- The setting is fantastic, great views of the whole of the bay of Naples.
- Breakfast was fairly decent with lovely views.
- I enjoyed the style of the hotel, charming and a taste of the local culture.
- There is a little private beach

Cons
- The hotel is arguably the worst value for money I've ever booked in terms of quality for the price paid, although that owes much to the fact that Sorrento seems to be a rather expensive place to stay full stop.
- Some of the rooms with the sea views seemed lovely unfortunately ours had a good sized terrace which faced on to the road and the door to the terrace provided the only access for light to enter the room beside a tiny bathroom window. Combined with the dark decor the room was very gloomy.
- The bathroom needs a real revamp, old and a little smelly with a large bath and a shower head.
- The beach area seems to be a once popular place that has been long since neglected.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cjlufc10
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Charming hotel filled with gorgeous views. Booked this based on a recommendation in Rick Steeves book on the Amalfi coast. He mentions that the staff is "indifferent" and this is so true. We visited off season so the restaurant was closed but a standard buffet breakfast was included. The hotel's private beach was lovely.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

My wife and I just stayed here and this room/view took our breath away. We were literally on the edge of the Mediterranean. Views from all windows were of the ocean, Sorrento, Mt Suvious, Napoli and beyond. Can't say enough, and it was just 10 minute walk to city centre, quite in the evening. The restaurant at the hotel serves up a very good breakfast (included), however I was disappointed with a dinner selection. the Shrimp, asparagus on pasta. the asparagus was so tough I could not eat it, there were no shrimp that I could find. Otherwise this hotel is a great spot to call home base.

Room Tip: Room 4, worth every euro
Reviewed 25 September 2017

We spent 4 nights at La Tonnarella as part of a 2 week vacation in Italy. We booked a Junior Suite well in advance and asked for room 24. All I can say is WOW what a room! The room is gorgeous, with tile throughout. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was amazing, and there was an outdoor shower as well on the private terrace. The terrace was to die for, with unbelievable views of the bay, including Vesuvius in the distance. The breakfast was very good. The staff was very nice and helped us arrange transportation to Naples when we left. The private beach was nice, although it was late season so it was almost closed down. The only negative to this hotel is the distance to the town, which is part of the charm, but also makes it a bit of a trek to get to town. I saw other hotels with shuttle van service, and La Tonnarella could definitely benefit it's guests by providing this service. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for Junior Suite room 24 for the large wraparound terrace
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel was old school Italian charm, which I like. Amazing views!! Staff were extremely helpful with questions on site seeing and very friendly. The town is in walking distance but not a short walk ... 20-30 minutes one way ... so for staying a couple days, the walk felt long to me (and I'm in shape and don't mind walking!). Can't beat the views and it was nice not to be in the center so it was more peaceful.

Unrelated to the hotel, I in general did not like sorrentto. Wish we would have stayed in Postiano or Amalfi instead.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends