“Perfect hotel in Sorrento”

Ulisse Deluxe Hostel
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Highly recommended. The room was big and comfortable. It includes a breakfast table, safe and refrigerator. The room we were in has a nice view too. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We did not book any tours prior to our stay, and the front desk helped us with our itinerary. Excellent location, walking distance to places of interest, piazza, marina and the train station. Great value for money.

1  Thank Charisse Jen C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed 21 October 2017

As some previous reviewers have noted, the word "hostel" makes me think of the kinds of hostels I stayed at many years ago, basic rooms, cheap, few amenities....but this place is NOTHING like that! It is one of the most beautiful, and reasonably priced places we have ever stayed. I felt like I was in a palace! We do not like to stay in expensive and luxurious chain hotels, always preferring smaller, cheaper, local hotels with some sort of history or atmosphere, and this certainly exceeded our expectations. The room was very lovely, great bed, great (and large) bathroom. They offer buffet breakfast for a reasonable price, which we didn't take advantage of, but the food looked excellent. The staff at the front desk was so nice - helped me with printing out our plane boarding passes. There is a very nice bar in the lobby, with both alcoholic drinks and coffee. The location was close enough that it was only a short walk to the main street and shopping area, and another walk downhill takes you to the Marina Grande right on the sea where you can take a boat ride, eat at some wonderful restaurants, etc. We would definitely stay there again if we are ever lucky enough to get back to Sorrento!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wisetrek
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I am not sure why they call it a hostel. The hotel was very clean. The rooms were large compared to other hotels in Italy.

I arrived by train and it took some time to find the hotel at first as it is a 10 minute walk from downtown. I was unfamiliar with the area, and after spending 12 hours in a plane, you can easily lose focus. I called and received help and soon found the entrance. Location is perfect as it is just a little bit away from car traffic, foot traffic and noise. Continue to walk down the road and you end up at one of the Sorrento marina areas. Walk up the road and in 1 minute you can purchase water, fruit, snacks or a sandwich at a small friendly shop.

Plenty of hot water for showers, with body wash, bar soap and shampoo provided.

The breakfast was more than adequate with a wide selection of coffee choices, breads, cereals, yogurts, eggs, salami's ,sweet cakes and juices.
The staff keep the food coming were quick and courteous.

Great wireless connection.

5 - 10 minute walk to shops, 10 minutes to the train station.

I felt secure walking to and from the hotel late at night.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank lars639
Reviewed 15 October 2017

The staff here are probably the best we have ever encountered. The front desk staff are so friendly, polite and helpful with any little request from travel advice to making restaurant reservations. Special mention has to go to Giancarlo and also the man with glasses (he didn't wear a name tag, maybe the manager?). The cleaning staff also did a great job. For example, the bed was only made up with one pillow each, not enough for most people, so on the first night I had propped it up with the decorative cushions to support my neck. Before I even had the chance to ask the hotel for another pillow, the cleaner noticed and got me another of her accord. Great service! The breakfast room girl was very friendly and helpful too.
The hotel is in a good location at the end of the main street in Sorrento, but far enough away to be less crowded. Only a few minutes to the main shopping area and about a 15 minute walk from the train and bus station.
You have to pay for spa/pool facilities so if this is important to you, beware, as I believe this is 10 Euro per day per person. The rooms are spacious and the decor is basic, but there is a fridge for storing your food/drinks and a safe which was very pleasing. There are also electric shutters on the windows which black out the room very effectively at night, and the air con worked fabulously well. Weirdly, there was a card displayed about being mindful of the environment, but no matter what where we left our towels, they were replaced daily. Not too environmentally friendly.
We did not use the TV as the picture was fuzzy. The bathroom was a good size, and the water temperature and pressure were good. Hairdryer is a wall mounted unit, but worked surprisingly well.
We found the Wifi to be a bit unreliable, and you had to sign in every time you returned to the hotel, despite selecting 'auto login' on the page.
Breakfast was fine - 2 types of ham, 2 types of cheese, 6 types of cereal, a few types of dried and fresh fruit, bread, lots and lots of cake and pastries!! Only hot option was scrambled eggs. Some variety would have been nice as we stayed a week and the breakfast got boring.
I've reluctantly marked this place down to 3 stars as I have to be honest that the noise levels for me were absolutely unbearable. I booked the hotel SIX MONTHS in advance, asking for a quiet room, but we were put on the top floor which is right underneath a car park. We were woken several times by noisy car engines. The only unbroken night's sleep I had was the first night (exhausted from travelling) - every other night I was woken up by something at least once, but in reality more like 3 or 4 times. Unfortunately the design of the building (tiled floors, light wooden doors) which is typical of Mediterranean countries, meant that every little noise travelled. I wore earplugs and could still hear doors banging etc. We were so far away from reception but could still hear the phones ringing at all hours. My other half is a deep sleeper but it was driving him crazy!! The poor acoustics were made worse by other guests, who thought it was perfectly acceptable to have loud conversations in the hallways at 11:45pm. You could hear every word they said! Beware - the cleaners also start their rounds early, and were scraping furniture along the floors in rooms, and pushing their noisy trolleys down the corridors at 8am. If you want a lie in, this place isn't for you.
We booked a day trip to Capri at reception for 59 Euros each which was disappointing. We arrived at the Blue Grotto at 9am but couldn't go in as it was closed due to the tide being too high. Fair enough, bad sea conditions are not the captain's fault, but as a 'solution' he said he would allow us an extra 30 minutes on Capri, and if we wanted, we could make our way across the island (at our own expense) later to see if the conditions had improved enough for the Grotto to be opened later in the day. I think it's unfair to give us so little time to try to do this - half an hour is not feasible to get across an island, queue and do the Blue grotto - and also to expect us to pay the extra travel costs to get across the island by bus. Furthermore, the boat captain could not speak English, so we have no real idea of what we were looking at on the entire trip!! He would just stop at something, point, and speak Italian to some Brazilians who understood him. The remaining 10 out of 14 of us, who only understood English, were ignored. He still expected a tip at the end!
Overall a good value hotel with good location and amazing staff, but I personally could not stay again as the noise and disrupted sleep made us miserable.

1  Thank Kayleigh B
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Located in an interesting big old building. The hallways and common areas were clean and well kept. We had a nice big room with a private bath and everything was very clean and comfortable. The decor is not what you see at a major hotel - but that was not a problem especially for such a good price close to town. Front desk and breakfast room staff were very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Breakfast was good and there was a large selection of different breads, pastries and fruit plus cereal and eggs. The front desk staff helped with getting reservations at the spa (in the same building) and then a taxi when we checked out.

2  Thank veggieOhio