“A charming place to stay in Amalfi”
Review of Hotel Aurora

Hotel Aurora
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
London
“A charming place to stay in Amalfi”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This is a small(ish) hotel, right on the seafront, but in a quiet corner of the town. Very convenient for visiting the town, restaurants, wonderful walks in the local hills and towns, ferry to Positano/Capri as well as secluded sunbathing and swimming at it's small private beach. If you have rented a car, you will have great access (provided you're comfortable driving on narrow, windy roads) to the rest of the peninsula and famous attractions like Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Vesuvius and so on. The feel of the place is unpretentious, clean and comfortable, with a lovely garden area with sea views for breakfast. The better rooms have sea-facing terraces and are very spacious. Not a place for travellers obsessed with "boutique"/"luxury" end of the market - you won't necessarily find toilet seats by the latest trendy designer - this place is simple, comfortable and traditional. And the service is very personal and friendly - everone in reception looked after our needs and helped to organise restaurant reservations, advised on trips etc. We came here on our honeymoon, celebrated our 5th anniversary and hope for many happy returns in the future. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
Hereford
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We booked this Hotel for a week through Thomson ,and based on the great previous reviews on here -ie; the traveller photographs of their beautiful balconies and the location of the hotel itself .
We arrived after a transfer from the Naples airport of approx hour and 15 minutes in eager anticipation - it was my husbands 50th birthday and we paid what we thought was quite a bit of money, so looked forward to a week of relaxing luxury ((something we dont often do-not being 'beachy' type people but thought it was time for a change)
We were astonished at arrival in Amalfi itself that it was absolutely packed with people and thick with traffic ( annoying scooters en masse buzzing around our vehicle like flies) Italian drivers take their lives in their hands and dont give way to anyone or anything ( take note anyone approaching this place in a hire car) This first impression of Amalfi was not a good one. ( we were later to learn that this week was the Italians Bank holiday week and their busiest time of year -again take note anyone booking the last two weeks of August)
On arrival at hotel we were told our room was not ready so had to sit on the terrace. The first impression was that the interior looked very drab and a lounge area that looked as inviting as a morgue. No good 'vibes' so far. Whilst waiting i humourously asked a gentleman receptionist to confirm that our room had " better be as nice as the pictures" ( ha ha) His English wasnt very good, but thats forgivable as we're not terribly good in our country at learning languages. But his answer was " no sorry your room has small balcony etc etc "
Oh my god I thought- we're going have to try and upgrade immediately as the only reason we wanted to stay here was based on the lovely large balconies we'd seen on the photos. " no, sorry- hotel fully booked" was the reply.
I was right to be prematurely upset because when we went to the room we were filled with horror. We were so upset that we were to spend 7 days in a room you couldnt swing a cat in, furniture that was so dated and a small old TV that had seen better days. Only one wardrobe without enough room/drawers to place t-shirts in etc and a safe no bigger than a matchbox. The small balcony had a 'slight' sea view in that yes we could just about see the sea, but moreover a grotty car park and a rooftop made of corregated iron.There wasnt one picture on the walls and basically the decor that was crying out to be updated. The one good thing was that the air conditioning worked because boy did we need it as temperatures were 40 plus. We decided that the only thing to do was to be positive and make the most of it and accept that we'd wasted our money but we were in a beautiful part of the world and that was going to be the 'upside'
After reading reviews we also knew that we werent going to get a huge cooked breakfast or anything lavish , but on arrival on the terrace in the morning (very sleepy-as one has to be down there before 10am) we discoved that all that was on offer was cake , cake and more cake(why?) -. Oh with a couple of croissants and cereal thrown in. No real choice and very boring .we made the effort to go down in the mornings as i cant do without my morning cup of tea. ( another note to make for future travellers-there are NO tea and coffee making facilities in the room) .
On exploring Amalfi one cannot dispute that the hotel is perfectly positioned and a lovely walk into the town. There are umpteen choices of excusions to Positano, Salerno, Ravello, and Capri ( a must) on the harbour at reasonable prices and more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. ( all Italian of course) We spent a lot of time in the shade on the Piazza in the town just people watching , as once youd walked around once there wasnt much else to do. The weather had a lot to do with our being 'unadventurous' as it was too tiring in the heat to walk more than half a mile.
Back to the hotel and a visit from our very nice tour rep Josette from Thomson. She was lovely and listened to our concerns of the hotel with sympathy. She explained that Thomson are only allocated 'basic' rooms on the first floor and not the superior ones that we'd expected.She said she'd do her best and speak to the manager and get us the first available Superior that became vacant ( at a cost ) Unfortunately the first vacancy of a better room was only on our last two days which we jumped at in desperation. We detected a certain sort of animosity afterwards from staff ( maybe wrong) that we were 'whingers'
But......Wow !! what an absolute contrast - our new room was amazing !! it was on the third floor and had the most amazing balcony with a fantastic view . The decor was ten times better ( pictures on the wall this time) better flat screen TV, cleaner and tidier and a glorious bathroom. we spent a whole two days on the balcony and didnt want to come out !!
The final one 'niggle' was that on our very early departure we werent given tea or coffee ( just more cake and biscuits)
I hope this review to anyone wishing to use the Aurora will show that you really need to only expect 'Bed and Breakfast' at its most basic, ( I forgot to point out that the boring bar/lounge area was not ideal if you expected to wind down with a 'pre-bedtime drinks)
It is a hotel for use only as a 'base' as there arent any amenities ( there is a private beach that you have to pay for- which I think is wrong seen as there isnt a Pool to the hotel) It is after all classed as a 3 star and that mustnt be overlooked.
You must ensure you book a 'Superior' room to avoid disappointment and not expect too much for breakfast !!!

Room Tip: Pay as much as you can afford for a better standard room preferably on the third floor. Or if youre...
5 Thank traceygoulding77
AuroraAmalfi, Direttore at Hotel Aurora, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear guest
we are very sorry for having book a 3-stars hotel while you aspected a 5-stars service. cold breakfast is clearly specified in Thompson's brochure as a basic sea view allocation. Thank you again for considering our hotel a 'morgue'. You gave us a brilliant idea: we will be very happy to invite you next year for 'an holiday with death', maybe something of fun could happen. Bill on us!
Hotel Aurora - Man.
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I just returned from our summer Holiday in Italy and we stayed at the Aurora Hotel in Amalfi for 3 nights. Terrible experience with his hotel. Staff was not friendly or helpful and the hotel was old, dirty and small. Our room had view to a stone wall and the room was dirty, dark and everything very old. Very small TV non-working TV and no Wi-Fi. There was construction going on at the end of the hall and every morning around 7:00 it was loud and smelly. I inquired about using my iPad and they told me it would cost 10 euros for 30 min to connect to the internet. The breakfast was outside in the patio with bugs all over. The bathroom and shower very dirty and lack of towels. We requested additional towels and they gave us a beach total. The only advantage about this hotel is the private beach across the street. They charged 18 euros per night for parking and our car was literally parked on a curve and never moved. Obviously it was not a reserved parking/garage for the hotel. My husband and I almost left one night earlier to another hotel. No mini bar in the room and we called several times about the TV and they never fixed it. Out of 4 hotel this was by far the worst one. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and wish I had researched it better before booking it.

Room Tip: The hotel doesn't have a restaurant or swimming pool. The rooms are very small and dirty. Overal...
6 Thank maria c
Dear Guest
It wasn't our faulty if you booked via Tour Operator which has a no sea view allocation, often they cheat clients promising the best accomodation that they haven't. Repairing bath pipe started at 10,00 in the morning during the breakfast and not at 7,00 and the owner has personally checked the regular development. Minibar was near the warderobe, TV was set in 1 hour and internet access costs 10 euros per day, not per hour!!!!! It was a slight misunderstanding.
Best regards.
Hotel Aurora-Man
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I wish I read the reviews before I booked and stayed at this hotel. When I now read through all the reviews I truely believe that the hotel have actually written them.

The hotel is in a great location, however the staff are not as friendly as the other reviews make out. I think the friendliest staff member was the cleaning lady, who actually genuinely seemed happy to greet me each morning. The room was not what I paid for, I paid for the best room, top floor and I was told that my room was not available due to the hotel being booked out (I had booked my room a month in advance) and I was given a room that was 'close enough' to what I had paid for. When I pay good money for a room I expect to get that room and I do not appreciate that the staff get annoyed at me 'the customer' for being angry at not getting what I payed for. Luckily I didn't have the need to stay in my room for much of the day otherwise this would have ruined my trip! The room alone is in a disgusting state, it was not clean, the shower head spays water in all directions, the tv is so small and the furniture looks like it is going to fall apart and the walls are dirty. I left my car in the carpark and any time I needed my car it seemed as though it was a hassel for staff to get it out for me. I would love to go back to Amalfi but I will never stay at this hotel ever again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hilary M
Dear guest
we will be very happy to invite you for a complimentary housekeeping course next year, therefore you can learn how to behave in a room's hotel, not leaving food scraps on the desk, bottles and cans all over the place, not smoking in a no-smoking room, not using towels as a carpet, not clipping dirty nails in the bed or spilling bevarages on the floor! We are waiting for you!
Best regards.
Hotel Aurora - Man.
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I chose this hotel by chance and I have no regrets.
We stayed for 7 nights and when we arrived we were warmly greeted and guided in organizing our stay.
The room was very comfortable and the terrace on the sea was greatly appreciated.
The garden where we had breakfast, and where we could relax or surf our Internet is very relaxing and shaded.
A discreet and efficient service .... nothing to complain about

Room Tip: Room with terrace - second floor (n.33 for example)