“great view away form the congestion of amalfi”

Santa Caterina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I went with my family for a week. The view from the hotel was great and swimming at the pool was fun. the service was great. Minor issue 1. the shuttle to town needs to be more frequent. 2. our kids could not get pizza for dinner and room service tends to be a little slow. The breakfast was amazing and staff were all friendly and went out off their way to get things right.

Stayed: August 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

A decent five star hotel run along traditional lines.
Everyone knew our names within 12 hours and the service was first rate.
It delivered good food, clean (if old fashioned rooms) and a pleasant atmosphere.
The restaurant was excellent.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2017

The hotel Santa Caterina is undeniably in a breathtaking location, and the facade of the building is very striking.

There is little to fault about the interior of the hotel itself, although the standard rooms (in keeping with many Italian hotels) are a little on the small side. That said, they are very comfortable, and the beds are excellent.

However, I had heard great things about the Santa Caterina, and in a few aspects it didn't quite live up to expectations: the personal service we encountered on check-in was not carried through the rest of our stay; the much-hyped 'private beach' area is a little dated now, and the service in that area is perhaps too informal for some tastes/ at this price point.

That said, the restaurants, food and drink are excellent, and the room service is just as good. Perhaps with the re-introduction of certain aspects of services I had heard about from previous guests, I would consider revisiting.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2017

We were disappointed with this hotel, it did not give us what we were looking for from a 5 star establishment, although it clearly gives a lot people who stay there what they are searching for. Chatting to an American lady at the desk, she comes back every year, has done so for many years and intends to carry on the same way. But it was not for us and I will try to carefully explain why, Dear Readers.
Its position is excellent, right on the waterside, clinging to the cliff side, with great and tranquil views of the sea. It is right next to Amalfi, within walking distance which was useful, but Amalfi was sooooo full of tourists, even in May, that it only merited a short visit (apart from The Lemon Experience, fab, highly recommended!), so the wonderful view from the breakfast room over the shimmering water, with little boats plying back and forth was marred by the thought of all the crowds there - and the 50 coaches that were lined up at the port. Not a fault of the hotel, but if, like us, you do not like crowds, think carefully about coming to the Amalfi Coast at all.
The rooms were very pleasant and impeccably clean (10/10 here) and we had nice balconies overlooking the sea. Again, very tranquil and relaxing to just sit and look, but, sadly, not so overnight. I’d have expected part of the 5 star luxe to include good sound insulation but I was awoken at 3.30 in the morning with sounds of furniture being moved, as if someone was moving house. I complained to the desk the following morning but to no avail, for our three nights there I was woken up with the same noises every night. How can that be and why did the management care so little?
The other problem for us was the service – not the lack of it but too much! We were greeted by 4 or 5 porters every time we came back in; all wishing us “Buongiorno” like a bunch of frogs in unison was a bit much! And at breakfast I really do not need a waiter to relieve me of my plate of food that I had just chosen and was taking back to my table, to be taken for me on a silver tray. Some of you might like that level of service but for me it was both invasive and carried the risk of the waiter accidently spitting on my food as he talked to me – a bit obsessive of me I know, but something I always have to battle with at parties! Oh, and I did try to say “no thank you” but he insisted when he took it off me and I did not want to be impolite. To their credit they did take note that I was not happy with it and left me alone on other mornings.
And lastly, the food did not wow us in any way. It was fine; adequate flavours, good enough choice and well presented, in a well-placed dining room with great views in the evenings, but for the prices charged the food should and could have been so much better. Dine elsewhere!
So there you have it, my dream holiday at Santa Caterina was a bit of a lemon.

Stayed: May 2017
4  Thank Bunty C
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

you may pay a lot to stay here bit it is like you paid for the view and exceptional service and you get the room for free. this is a first class boutique hotel built in the the seaside cliffs in amalfi. the food is exquisite, location with a view cant be beat, hotel amenities are just right (exercise room a bit small) and the staff are experienced and so helpful. if you are looking for this type of hotel do not miss it and if you just want to pass by for a drink on the terrace it is worth it. this is our second visit and we will be back

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank worldvisitor17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
1.7 km away
5.7 km away
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#2 of 20 in Praiano

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!