“Great budget option”

Ranked #68 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great budget option”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

This was a great hostal in a great location. The family who run it are very friendly and helpful, and I appreciated their patience with me trying out my Spanish. I was in Madrid to take a 1-week Spanish course and this was a great base. It's very convenient to the Sol metro line and although the room is very small, it was great to have the desk and free wifi for doing my homework every night. I often stay in youth hostels, so this was a nice little upgrade for me.

I do agree with other reviewers that the noise is an issue. I had noisy neighbors in an adjacent room one night (to be fair, it was World Cup finals week) and I could clearly hear every buzz for the door to be opened and every phone call made to reception. The ringer on that phone is LOUD. I managed to sleep quite well regardless, but I think I was generally exhausted from my 5 hours of Spanish class and the 100+ degree heat. I was grateful for the AC.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Excellent location!!!!!!!!, price is perfect, no bad experiences... only two things 1 Roach in my last day, no soap 1day (I stay 4 nights), bad wireless reception in the room, but all of this is not a big deal (this occure in every hotel, except for the roach), I recommend this please.... I travel with lock and all my stuff in the baggage all the time when I was not in the room, no bad experience... recommended 100%

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank josepr007
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2010

This hostel was amazing...more like a hotel than a hostel. Brilliant location, so we could walk everywhere in Madrid. The staff were lovely and very friendly. Rooms were clean & cleaned daily with new towels etc. Only downsides were the safe in the room which cost a euro to use every time you used it and that it was a little noisy at nights...but what can you expect when so close to the centre of a capital city! Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Forlimpopoli, Italy
Reviewed 8 May 2010

The hostal (which means pension, not hostel) is located in Calle de Carretas, about 50m from Sol, which is the deepest centre of Madrid (and of Spain too).
Location is good with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby, the Sol metro station and taxis running around and available all the time.
Except for that, Sol is a 24/7 huge fiesta, with people having fun all the time, it can be noisy if one gets the wrong room but I didn't have a problem with it as my room was on the back.
The hostel is located at the 2nd floor, you have to ring them to open the door (they open it just looking at the cam above your head, don't ask for anything - it's good if you don't know Spanish and don't know what to tell them). There is an elevator and stairs too, wooden stairs are old and did not look good, noisy and looked unstable. Elevator was just fine.
Reception has a computer for internet access (10 mins - 0.50 euros, 20 mins - 1 euro, 40 mins - 2 euros) and vending machines for snacks and drinks. The family at the reception speaks both Spanish and English, also they were very accomodating on switching from Spanish to English when I wanted to try my Spanish but it just wasn't enough. Reception is open 24 hours.
I had booked a single room but was given a twin room for the same price than the single, which was good. It was bigger than most rooms in European cities, and cheaper too, a single was 33 euros per night. As usual in Spain, the price is for the room only, as Spanish people use to skip breakfast or to just have a coffee in a bar (it's just 200 m away from the Chocolateria San Gines, famous for its churros with chocolate).
Beds were comfortable and clean. TV was flat screen. Cabinet was old but I didn't use it. Also, there is a safe into the cabinet.
The bathroom was surprisingly cozy and the towels provided abundantly, and very clean too.
For the negatives, I am not sure if it was guests to be too noisy or walls to be too thin, but I could ear every single word spoken in the other room, sometimes it can be pretty annoying, at least I'm glad they didn't go on for too much at night.
Another negative is at some point the seemed to lack organization, on the second night I was asked if I'd have had a problem if they changed my room, it was ok with me so I packed my things and at 9am the day after I left my things to them to take into the new room, and I was said at the time, they didn't yet know which it would me.
At 1pm I returned to change my clothes, leave some things I bought and rest before to go out again, I was told they didn't yet know which room I'd be in, and my things were in storage...I was disappointed and I thought they had overbooked me!! So I was out and about until 4pm when I returned, they apologized and gave me the same room...I'm just glad they didn't really overbook me, however not knowing which room a guest would be in at 1pm shows lack of organization.
Another negative is the area, even though it's handy for shops, restaurants and transports, at night it is not the most cozy area to be in, the roads around Puerta del Sol are full of street prostitutes, even though they are not a problem and I have always been safe (there is also lots of police going around, the whole time) you get to ask yourself what kind of place did you end up.
The view from the window was rather depressing (see pictures), and the worst was the heavy (VERY HEAVY) fried food smell coming up from the restaurant nearby, I never opened the window.
Another thing to say about the location, but a positive is that I left the hotel at 5.30am to go to the airport and I was worried about bad encounters, even though the square was almost empty and just a few people around, it took me just a few seconds to get a taxi and I think I was safe at all times.
It's clearly not a luxury place, but it's central, clean and safe, they speak English and you have Internet access. For people who are on a budget and have some flexibility I think it is good, and I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank meryjune
dublin
Reviewed 28 October 2009

went to madrid for a weekend break and stayed here for two nights.location is perfect as it is right in centre and everything is in walking distance.rooms were fine for somewhere to lay your head as for a short break there is load to see and do.we had a three room and it had a double bed and single,it had our own private bathroom and shower.there was also a telly and safe in the room.there is someone on front desk 24 hours,a lift and a luggage room.overall its perfect for what you pay and a perfect base for a weekend break.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends