All reviews plaza mayor third floor perfect location street noise walking tour stay there again single room sol elevator metro palacio
Reviewed 8 June 2017

After our Camino, my daughter and I stayed here for 4 days. I have stayed here before in earlier years. Its main attraction is that it is so central, near Puerta de Sol and Plaza Mayor. We could walk everywhere from here: The Prado; Reina Sofia, Palacio Real; other museums. We did not need to use the metro except to get back and forth to the airport. We did a walking tour starting in Puerta del Sol, and went to a Flamenco performance close-by. The hostal is on the third floor of the building, but there is an elevator if one wishes. I would stay here again, but do not expect and services or friendly chit-chat with the reception. This is strictly a place to park your things, explore a wonderful city and have a good night's sleep. The rooms are clean and spacious; the beds are good and firm; the street noise dies down fairly early; it is a great place but is not charming or particularly friendly. The prices are very reasonable for the location (40€/single room/night). I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2016

I missed my flight and knocked on the door after 2300 and was given a room for the night. Its more like a small hotel rather than a hostel. I got a large bed with towels ,toliet and showers, and a side room overlooking a small passage.
Cruz Sol is less than 20 seconds from Plaza Mayor and 2 minutes from Sol. There is a small plaza at the front with 2 restaurants.
You have Sol and Opera Metro within walking distance. This will be my first choice when visiting Madrid

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the square
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank tony b
Reviewed 17 November 2016

Pros:
-Sunny room with great view
-Excellent Location (very central, 1 minute walk from Plaza Mayor and 5 minutes from Puerta del Sol)
-Clean

Cons:
-Noisy
-Room was bright at night
-Safe costs 1Euro

I requested a room on the main plaza and we got a lovely room with lots of sunshine and two windows - one looking on the plaza and the other on the side street. The room was pleasant, clean, and comfortable.

The only reason I wouldn't necessarily recommend this hostel to other people is because I found it difficult to sleep at night. I wouldn't recommend it to light sleepers - the room was noisy (we could hear other guests in the hallway because the walls were thin. Also, the reception was just outside of our door so we could hear the doorbell ringing several times through the night) and bright (there were no blackout curtains and they lit up their sign at night, so lots of light came in through the windows while we were trying to sleep).

If you are NOT a light sleeper, this is a nice place (excellent central location!!) to stay at a good value.

My last comment is that I think it was kind of tacky that they charged 1 Euro for use of the safe in the room!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cbo12345
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Room is clean and nice.They have everything that we needed.
Hotel near SOL station, walk just 5 mins.Easily to take tram to visit many places.
Especially shopping mall around SOL.
Staff speak english well and willing to help.
I stay for 2 nights for holiday, my room without breakfast.
Worst for the price. I definitely recommend.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2016

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this facility. It is clean and comes with fast Wi-Fi, cold AC, cable TV and is wonderfully located. We stayed in 2009 and 2010 and stayed a few nights this trip. And the price is incredible. My family loves it.

Room Tip: For $80 per night my family of three stayed and loved it.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family