“A Week at the Buenos Aires”

Hostal Buenos Aires
Ranked #287 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This is an above average hostal right on the Gran Via in Madrid,but has above average prices too ! The reception staff varied from 'I'm not taking my headphones off'nightime staff, to helpful in the daytime!It can be a bit noisy with people coming in at all hours,but 'hey' if you want to be in the middle of a 'buzzing' city what do you expect.I've travelled the world with work for 30 years and this is one of the best places to stay in Madrid for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 August 2011

If you are looking for an AIR CONDITIONED room of decent size overlooking the “Gran Vía” in Madrid for less than fifty Euros, seek no more: this is the place!

I discovered the “Hostal Buenos Aires” by chance thanks to Best Western hotel Arosa, where I had originally reserved four days in June 2011.

Thanks to a long travel experience, when I arrived to Hotel Arosa on Monday June 13, 2011, I asked to see the room before opening my skinny wallet, as I do everywhere except in well known palaces, where I never go... And I was right once more because I ran away as soon as I opened the door of the closet for which I would have paid over $100 a day without breakfast, and which was supposed to be “the best single room in the hotel”! I had taken the precaution to send a letter explaining that I was going to celebrate my birthday in Madrid and that I would hate to spend ten days in a London style closet, but apparently that was totally useless!

If I had dealt with a fish eater employee who would have upgraded me to a double room, I would have spent four of my ten days in Spain in that hotel. But, apparently, the guy at the front desk was not clever enough to do so for free and he preferred to see me walk away.

Since the cancellation policy was an honest 4 pm on the day of arrival and it was only one pm, I immediately called Best Western's toll free number in Spain (900 99 39 00) and canceled my reservation. If I had reserved in one of those indelicate places where they want you to cancel one or even two days before arrival (which I always refuse because every time one of my flights has been canceled it has always happened at the very last minute, never two days before departure!), I would have lost my money.

Fortunately, a long experience makes me travel light with only a carry on and a briefcase housing my electronics, except when I go to France because of the gifts for my sons. So I didn’t hesitate to walk down the Gran Via towards Plaza de España, where I knew there were many “Hostales” from my previous trips to Madrid since 1963.

A Spanish “Hostal” is half way between a “bed and breakfast” and a real hotel. Very often the only difference is that a hotel occupies the whole building, while the “hostal” only occupies one part of it: usually one or two floors, sometimes only half of one floor. But most of them have rooms with a private bath, although they rarely serve breakfast.

This is the case of “Hostal Buenos Aires”, on Gran Via 61, two short blocks from Plaza de España, where you may take the subway to go to Barajas international airport for a couple of Euros if you buy a card good for ten trips during a calendar year for 10.30 €.

I got air conditioned room 101 next to the reception (therefore, noisy every time a Cro-Magnon arrives at three in the morning screaming like Tarzan calling Chita…) with a private marble bath of honest size for 40.50 € (around $60, far less than the $100 without breakfast at Arosa’s closet!) I returned Friday and Saturday but I had to pay 50.50 € because hotels are more expensive in Madrid during the weekend, which is still excellent.

This room has two army size beds that you can join or separate, as you wish, with a small desk but way too high because of the radiator underneath. So unless you can write standing, like the great Honoré de Balzac, it won’t do you any good except to lay your PDA and other small items. It has a door over the Gran Via that you can open and a narrow window towards Plaza de España. This is the only room with that extra window. Both have double glass to attenuate the noise, which works well enough for normal traffic clamor but not when a crowd of teenagers screamed at midnight while waiting in line to enter the “Museo del Jamón” across the street and have dinner.

Yes, dinner at midnight, because in Madrid they don’t serve lunch before 1 p.m. and I ate several times at 4 pm. I even had an excellent three course lunch at 5 pm (which is exceptional) the first day at “El Cellier” on Plaza de España # 6 on the second floor, for only 9.50 € (less than $14) including a small bottle of drinkable wine! Dinner is therefore served very late! Unless you go to Mc Donald’s a few blocks up, going to Plaza Callao on the other side of the street… There is also a Starbucks close to that fast food and another one two short blocks from the hostal, right across Plaza de España.

Many restaurants offer a three course set menu for lunch between 9 and 12 Euros Monday to Friday, including half a bottle of wine, or a beer, or a Coke. The cheapest I found was a Cuban restaurant called “Cuando salí de Cuba” on Calle de la Ternera number 4, a couple of blocks from Plaza Callao, going down to Plaza Santo Domingo on pedestrian Calle Preciados, half way on your left. I had a 3 course honorable Cuban lunch with wine for only 8 €. Yes, eight Euros, which is around $12 US as of June 2011 with wine and dessert.

Since this hotel is centrally located, you may walk everywhere: to Plaza Callao, just a few blocks away, to the Palacio Real, also a few blocks away in another direction, etc. I walked all the way from train station Atocha along the Prado, then the Gran Via back to the hotel. Another day, I walked from Parque del Retiro back to “Hostal Buenos Aires”.

And don’t miss the Egyptian TEMPLO DE DEBOD, a few blocks from this hotel behind Plaza de España, in a park from which you will have a nice view of the Palacio Real and the Casa de Campo. Although going to Madrid since 1963, I discovered this in 2011.

When I left Spain ten days later, I checked out of “Hostal Buenos Aires” at 6 a.m., took the subway line 10 at Plaza de España, changed at “Nuevos Ministerios” where I took line 8 to the airport and 45 minutes after I left my hotel I was at Barajas International.

In short, with its INDIVIDUAL AIR CONDITIONED rooms with private bath, this is an outstanding value for money in Madrid, where I saw several places charging fifty Euros (sixty during the weekend) for a closet without private bathroom and without AC!

efrin_knight@yahoo.fr

Room Tip: I liked room 101 because of the extra small window towards Plaza de España but room 105 is farther f...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Efrin_Knight
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Thanks to a long travel experience, when I arrived to Hotel Arosa on Monday June 13, 2011, I asked to see the room before opening my skinny wallet. And I was right once more because I ran away as soon as I opened the door of the closet for which I would have paid over $100 a day without breakfast, and which was supposed to be “the best single room in the hotel”! I had taken the precaution to send a letter explaining that I was going to celebrate my birthday in Madrid and that I would hate to spend ten days in a London style closet, but apparently that was totally useless!

Since the cancellation policy was an honest 4 pm on the day of arrival and it was only one pm, I immediately called Best Western's toll free number in Spain (900 99 39 00) and cancelled my reservation. If I had reserved in one of those indelicate places where they want you to cancel one or even two days before arrival (which I always refuse because every time one of my flights has been cancelled it has always happened at the very last minute, never two days before departure!), I would have lost my money.

A Spanish “Hostal” is half way between a “bed and breakfast” and a real hotel. Very often the only difference is that a hotel occupies the whole building, while the “hostal” only occupies one part of it: usually one or two floors, sometimes only half of one floor. But most of them have private bath, although they seldom serve breakfast.

I got air conditioned room 101 next to the reception (therefore, noisy every time a Cro-Magnon arrives at three in the morning screaming like Tarzan calling Chita…) with a private marble bath of honest size for 40.50 € (around $60, far less than the $100 without breakfast at Arosa’s closet!) I returned Friday and Saturday but I had to pay 50.50 € because hotels are more expensive in Madrid during the weekend, which is till excellent.

This room has two army size beds that you can join or separate, as you wish, with a small desk but way too high because of the radiator underneath. So unless you can write standing, like the great Honoré de Balzac, it won’t do you any good except to lay your PDA and other small items. It has a door over the Gran Via that you can open and a narrow window towards Plaza de España. This is the only room with that extra window. Both have double glass to attenuate the noise, which works well enough for normal traffic noise but not when a crowd of teenagers screamed at midnight while waiting in line to enter the “Museo del Jamón” across the street in order to get in and have dinner.

Yes, dinner at midnight, because in Madrid they don’t serve lunch before 1 p.m. and I ate several times at 4 pm. I even had an excellent three course lunch at 5 pm the first day at “El Cellier” on Plaza de España # 6 on the second floor, for only 9.50 € (less than $14) including a small bottle of drinkable wine! Dinner is therefore served very late! Unless you go to Mac Donald’s a few blocks up, going to Plaza Callao on the other side of the street… There is also a Starbucks close to that fast food and another one two short blocks from the hostal, right across Plaza de España.

Many restaurants offer a three course set menu for lunch between 9 and 12 Euros Monday to Friday, including half a bottle of wine or a beer, or a Coke. The cheapest I found was a Cuban restaurant called “Cuando salí de Cuba” on Calle de la Ternera number 4, a couple of blocks from Plaza Callao, going down to Plaza Santo Domingo on pedestrian Calle Preciados, half way on your left. I had a 3 course honorable Cuban lunch with wine for only 8 €. Yes, eight Euros, which is around $12 US as of June 2011 with wine and dessert.

And don’t miss the Egyptian TEMPLO DE DEBOD, just a few blocks from this hotel past Plaza de España, in a park from which you will have a nice view of the Palacio Real and the Casa de Campo. Although going to Madrid since 1963, I discovered this in 2011.

In short, with its AC and its private bath, this is an outstanding value for money in Madrid, where some places charge fifty Euros for a closet without private bathroom and no AC.

efrin_knight@yahoo.fr

Room Tip: I liked room 101 because of it's extra window but room 105 is farther from the reception, also o...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2011

The hotel is in a great location, just 10 minutes away from Plaza del Sol. The rooms are nothing fancy, but they seemed clean and big enough. The price is pretty standard for this type of low-end hotel. It's two floors, so there will be other guests. As long as you get a room away from the front desk, it should be pretty quiet. It was a little nicer and a little cheaper than Hostal Residencia Rober, which we had stayed in during a previous trip to Madrid.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnfromtexas
Reviewed 22 October 2009

This hotel is difficult to enter as you have to be let in by identification first as it is on the second floor - when we checked in it took a while for us to be let in. The rooms are a good size - the beds have clean sheets but are like sleeping on a park bench they are so hard. The bed spreads and blankets, towels etc are very tired. There is a night porter who I think must have smoked all night as the smoke wafted into our room through a grill above the door from the common area and was unpleasant. Other guests caused comotion - one lot having a domestic fight - no response from the management to quieten it down in the middle of the night. The walls are thin and the plumbing of the above room seemed to run right through our room with its subsequent noise.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family