“Location: awesome. Service/Rooms: not so much.”
Review of Gran Melia Fenix

Gran Melia Fenix
Ranked #36 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Hm, so, yeah, I stayed there at the 1st week of January mostly due to location, some raving reviews and, yes, the stories about the Beatles and others.

Location is perfect. Walking distance from everywhere you need to go in Madrid. Whether you're there for culture, food or shopping, it doesn't matter, you're nearby. Hence the 3 stars.

Now as it comes to service: my wife and I arrived, nobody seemed to care about our luggage. We had to carry it ourselves. And those were no backpacks. And the staff remained oblivious about basic guests courtesy throughout our stay there (yes, on our way out we had to carry the luggage to the cab as well).

Oh, the room. Possibly the worst located room on a hotel in history. And with a good chance of being the smallest as well. Only one window, with a view to the, well, I don't know what it was, but we needed to keep it closed, as it was some small concrete yard somewhere inside the hotel, right above our heads. Claustrophobic. Have I mentioned it was the same price as the other standard rooms - this was no promotion? Add to this an ice machine from hell at the corridor.

Hotel lounge was completely unappealing as well.

Basically it was a big let down. There are better places for the same cost.

Room Tip: Upper floors, and watch out for the internal view if you're staying on lower floors. It might be...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terencereis
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for entrusting us with your comments which help us to improve our day-to-day customer service. Sorry if your stay did not turn out as you hoped it would.

Warm regards from Madrid,

Sandra Hernandez

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Excellent location. Charming service, very professional concierge. Rooms are super..and clean. I was upgraded to a bigger room just because I arrived a little earlier and they did not have my room ready yet.....Just blocks away the best restaurants and shops, and if you are a good walker then you found a gem in the middle of Madrid. El retiro is just few block away. I highly recommend this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Not really, I think all room are good.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Melia Fenix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your opinions in this website.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Gran Meliá Fénix.

Sandra Hernández.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

I normally travel to Madrid several times a year.. I have found my hotel! The Melia Grand Fenix is great!!... I have stayed in several hotels in Madrid (all of which having been more expensive).
The location is excellent, the staff courteous, and the rooms clean (and if you place the "do not disturb" sign on the door, it is respected. The only downside (but it doesn't bother me) is that the bathrooms are small (but well equipped). The Clarins shampoo & conditioner, and other products in the bathroom came in handy.
There are several tv stations in English (which is nice).. Also, the tv is big and modern.
This is my fifth time staying at this hotel.. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Maloneman
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your opinion on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team, who I am sure will be encouraged by your remarks.

Our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations. Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality.

Thank you once again and we hope you come to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at this wonderful hotel. The service was excellent, room and bed was very comfortable. We loved the bar and had an amazing lunch at their restaurant, great food and wonderful service. I highly rate this hotel, only small downside is that it is a little far away to walk to the main attractions but it is only a 5 minute walk to the metro.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Madrid.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix and that you felt so comfortable.

Thank you once again and we hope you come to visit us again soon.

Warm regards from Madrid,

Reviewed 2 March 2012

The service at this hotel is in another league from so many modern hotels. Polite, attentive and personal. The cocktail bar is also superb. The restaurant, though rather quiet, is also excellent. Rooms very nice although not huge. Brilliant location for the sights of Madrid.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Gran Meliá Fénix and for publishing such inspiring and motivating words on Tripadvisor, which will help us with our continuing effort to improve the services quality for our guests.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you had a nice stay in our hotel and we hope to see you back soon in Madrid.

Looking forward to welcoming you at The Gran Meliá Fénix.

Best Regards