My wife booked a surprise trip to Madrid for my birthday to watch Real Madrid and picked the Jardin de Recoletos because of it's location, halfway between the Santiago Bernabeu and the main city centre (Sol), the hotel was absolutely perfect and very reasonably priced.
Before going, we had no idea what to expect from Madrid as the whole trip was based around the football experience. Madrid does have plenty to offer though and so we'd happily return again. Anyone going should prepare themselves for the number of beggars on the streets, there's loads but that's my only slight negative! When travelling, buy yourself a metrobus ticket. It entitles you to ten trips on the underground and only costs around 11 euros.
The cable car ride at Arguelles is well worth a visit 5.50 euros each for an 11 minute ride, each way, across part of Madrid. At the top you can sit in the restaurant and look out over the Madrid skyline. The Hard Rock cafe is just around the corner from the hotel and has some very friendly staff. Be prepared for large portions though! :-)
Ullysses Irish Pub on Calle de Fellipe III is brilliant, shows Sky Sports and has some great staff too. The food there is excellent too and cheaper than some other nearby establishments.
Make sure you take a walk around one of the many parks in Madrid. On a warm summers day, there's no better way to enjoy the relaxed spanish attitude to life. The best park is Parque del Retiro with its boating lake. This is just a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.
As for the football, well the Bernabeu stadium is very impressive and although the tickets were expensive, you do need to be quick when buying them online. We chose to buy them direct from the club but they only come on sale a week before the game so be vigilant! The stadium tour is also recommended. £16 each and you get to go everywhere. Dressing rooms, press conference room, pitch side and in the dugouts, trophy room, museum and more.
One last tip! If you're going for the football and fancy dressing for the occasion, buy a Madrid shirt in england before you leave. The shirts were on sale in Madrid for 75 euros (£62). You can buy the same shirt over here for £40-45 so don't get sucked in!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely refurbished during August 2013, the hotel VP Jardín de Recoletos is located just a few steps from Retiro Park, Puerta de Alcalá and the National Library. VP Jardín de Recoletos is the perfect choice for a stay in Madrid because of its 43 spacious rooms, its beautiful garden and its excellent location in the heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, HotelQuickly, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Jardin de Recoletos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jardin De Recoletos Hotel Madrid
- Jardin De Recoletos Madrid