I am one of four girlfriends that take an annual weekend city break around end Jan. This year we chose Madrid & I was faced with the daunting task of selecting the hotel. Given the fact that my friends are quite particular about the accommodation we stay in I spent a lot of time on the research and selected this hotel which really paid off.
The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but once you walk inside the door you are in an oasis of calm & excellent service. The staff were the perfect mix of friendly efficiency, the rooms although reasonably compact were well designed and the beds among the most comfortable we had experienced.
Interestingly enough one of my reasons for selecting this hotel was the spa and we didn't actually use it. Partly because there was a €15 charge to do so for a day, partly because it was closed on Sundays but mainly because we didn't really have time.
The breakfast buffet which was included in our rate was superb. We ate two lunches and a dinner in the hotel bar & restaurant again partly because our special offer (with bookings made thru the Melia.com website) allowed us €40 per room per day to spend here but the food was fantastic & the menu prices, even had we not had our €40 allowance, were extremely reasonable for a 5 star hotel.
The location right beside Ventura Rodriguez metro stop was also a real bonus. One word of caution my wallet was pick pocketed on the crowded metro on the Friday evening - apparently an all too common Madrid experience.
In the interest of balance I'm searching for something critical to say about the hotel and all I can come with is that the myriad lighting systems in the room were a bit over the top & complicated to operate to the extent that we regularly cast each other into darkness in the bathroom. Oh and also why put a plug in a hand basin if it's designed NOT to stop water?
Very minor issues in the grand scheme of things. A great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Completely renovated in 2008 and located just steps away from Madrid main square Plaza de España, this modern Hotel offers spectacular views of the Royal Palace and Casa de Campo. Perfectly situated within walking distance of Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol and Madrid's main museums (Prado, Thyssen,...). In addition, a Metro stop can be found right at the entrance of the hotel allowing convenient travel to the airport or Madrid's main local attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Melia Hotels APAC, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Melia Madrid Princesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Madrid Princesa Hotel Madrid
- Sol Melia Madrid Princesa