Hotel Persal
USD 574
USD 545
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsplaza del angelginger restaurantgreat locationfront facingcontinental breakfastsingle roomyogurttapascentral locationwithin walking distanceshort walkexplore madridbars and restaurantslight sleepersolnoisemetro
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

The journey from the airport to sol was straightforward and very cheap on the metro.
We arrived at the hotel at 11:44 and check in does not start until 1pm. The staff were friendly enough and said they may be able to find a room quicker but we could leave our bags while we waited. We decided to explore El Rastros famous market and arrived back at 12:35. I checked with reception on the progress, not expecting to get a room until 1pm but was told it would be ready in 20mins and that our bags had already been taken up to the room. I waited 20mins and the reception lady went off to find out the progress. She kept coming back and getting different keys and disappearing again. We were absolutely exhausted from our early flight and were desperate for sleep. I went to reception to ask again but this time requested an honest estimation of time, not the same 20min response I was getting up until now. Edward was the member speaking to me and told me there was nothing they could do as they have 80 rooms to clean....since when is it my problem how many rooms they have to clean? They were aware of our presence since 11:44 so surely it would make sense to prioritise our room seeing as we were the only ones waiting!? At this moment another staff member Manuel piped up and started making excuses and trying to explain that even if it says 1pm check in the rooms must be clean so it will be late. I said I have been coming to Spain for many years and I have never encountered this in the other hotels I have stayed at, all we wanted was our room so that we can sleep. He said you mustn't be tired, you are talking too much.....since when the hell does it become acceptable to speak to hotel guests this way? I was fuming and told the staff to not patronise me, it their job as a professional organisation to have everything sorted. An older man behind the desk also chimed in with his opinion and said "you are young and tired" what does that mean? Guests do not care for excuses, it just lowered the hotel in my estimation.
I had been waiting so long because of how long the staff had been "cleaning" our room and told them I expected perfection because of the amount of time we had waited. Finally at 1.30pm we were shown our room and boy what an ANTICLIMAX it was! Paper thin walls, you can hear the water in the pipe work, furniture being dragged across the floor above and every sound outside the room which was on the first floor. Furthermore the triple room was dingy and small, and far from worth the wait. The bath was covered in hairs and in the evening there was a strong smell of sewage...so much for the famous cleaning!!!

We were desperate to leave so that evening we decided to look for another hotel. We were told by the other hotel we must give 24 hours notice, so we did and are extremely glad for this decision. The next morning we were asked about our reasons for early check out and I explained them. We were asked if wanted to change rooms but to be frank I didn't fancy seeing the same staff members for the rest of my stay. The man was apologetic and very understanding but it was a little to late by then.

Would I stay here again.....hell no! If I want to pay for the displeasure of being insulted, patronised and disturbed from getting any sleep then this is the place. Otherwise I much prefer TRYP atocha, or hostel Puerto del Sol, the staff are warm, understanding, patient and most importantly approachable. The rooms are spacious and immaculate and the wall are soundproof meaning I can sleep peacefully.

The moral of the story is, the way were spoken to really took away our excitement, so much so that were miserable the first night. It really put an unnecessary dampener on our holiday and had we have been dealt with nicely, we would have been more than happy to overlook certain things and accepted a room change. It's a real shame as the location was so good.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
HostalPersal, Gerente at Hotel Persal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2015

Dear Guest,

It is clear that none of the three persons from our staff that tried to assist you could fulfill your requirements as you expected, so we must apologize for that.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and, as I myself told you the morning you left Hostal Persal, please count on us for a next stay so we could compensate such a negative experience,

Best regards.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

We stayed at Hotel Persal from 1-4 November 2015. We had a room on the 4th floor (D). Very quiet and everything we need. A bed, a nice shower, fresh air from outside.
Breakfast in the library, we choose the long table. Feels like home but with great service. A lot of restaurants in the neighbourhood and 5 minutes from Puerta del Sol.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
HostalPersal, Gerente at Hotel Persal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Dear Guest,
We appreciete your opinion. It is true that our location in the very centre is amazing, bad also we try to complement it doing our best and trying to fix our rates in the best quality-price ratio.
Thank you. Best regards.

Reviewed 4 November 2015 via mobile

the hotel is very nice and 2 minutes walk from puerta del sol and 5 minutes from plaza mayor...lobby so warm, staff extra friendly and they provide you all needed details...breakfast rich and nice and served in very nice place...rooms are just ok and warm

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed at Hostal Persal from 11 October for four nights bed and breakfast. There were 5 of us ranging in ages from 66 to 11 years old. We really couldn't fault it in any way. The staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast has everything you need, rooms are clean and comfortable. Everything was perfect, especially the location.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2015

Room at the front looking on to the street but not too noisy when the windows were shut. At a hotter time of year you may want to request a room at the back. Breakfast in a delightful, characterful dining room ....straightforward basic set of cold items. The usual cereals, toast, cold meat and cheese etc. helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends