“What a way to see Madrid!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Apartment Gobernador

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Family Apartment Gobernador
Ranked #424 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Boston, Massachusetts
“What a way to see Madrid!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

We loved staying here. We have 3 children (11, 12 and 14) and the apartment met our needs very well. We had plenty of room, a nice kitchen, room to relax and spread out. Internet access (key with kids this age!) was easy, and there were good instructions available to help with the details of the apartment. It's a GREAT location -- easy to get to the Metro, major sights right nearby, excellent tapas bars all around. It was fun to sink into city life and fully experience the culture of Madrid.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sherpa3

Couples
Solo
Business
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

We were 2 couples and we saw this apt on VRBO. The location is great as it is very close to the 3 big art museums and only a short walk to Plaza Mayor, Santa Ana and Puerto de Sol.
On this trip to Spain we found 4 of our apt stays through VRBO. I agree with gracie-boo that I have never stayed in a VRBO that was so empty. It is also in need of a little TLC. The kitchen cabinets are coming apart, the furniture and scatter rugs could use a good cleaning and the whole place needs a paint job.
The apt is large however it is likely better suited to adults and children than two couples as the second and third bedrooms are so tiny you need both of them to accommodate both people and luggage.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank boone52

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

I stayed at the Gobernador with my mom and sister on a family trip in January 2010. We choose the Gobernador from their VRBO ad. Since we were arriving early in Madrid, we arrange to pay the 35€ fee early check-in fee. Carlos was out-of-town, so my correspondance directly before arrival was with Jennifer, his wife. Since she knew we were arriving early and she would not be available at that time, she gave me the name and phone number of the person (K), I was supposed to call upon arrival in Madrid. Jennifer told me she would be available later that day, at 5:30 p.m. to go over any details after we arrived, and answer any questions we might have. Alas, neither K nor Jennifer were answering their phones when our plane landed.

I called K and Jennifer several times during the taxi ride from the airport to the apartment, and left voice mails. Neither one ever called me back. When we got to the apartment, I kept trying K and Jennifer, and also called the other contact number I had. No answer. We stood out in the freezing street for almost an hour. I annoyed everyone in the building by ringing all the bells, trying to find someone to let us in. I finally got in touch with K, and told her, in my poor Spanish, that we were waiting out front.

I am not sure what she said, but K never showed up, nor did Jennifer. I did go through my paperwork and found a phone number for A, another person who did check-ins, and she did finally show up. She spoke absolutely no English, but let us in, and we went over the rental agreement with her and paid the balance due. It was hilarious, because my mom, who hasn't had a Spanish class in probably 40 years, was going over the apartment information with A. I guess they were just sympatico, or maybe they spoke each other's unspoken language! I managed to count out the money due in Spanish, and all was well. I will say A was charming and helpful, and did her best, but I was not impressed that the entire time we were in Madrid, Jennifer, the owner, never returned one of my many calls, to make sure all had gone well.

I have rented lots of apartments in many different countries from VRBO, and this is the first one that was so empty; not even salt and pepper. My mom kept telling me before the trip, "I'm going to bring salt and pepper, sugar, etc.", and I kept telling her not to bother, that of course they would have the basics, but they didn't. There were a few roles of toilet paper and some dish soap, but not even dishwasher detergent. By the way, although the instructions do not state this, the clothes washer is also a dryer, so be sure to pull your wet clothes out if you don't want them to run for hours drying. You will need laundry detergent if you plan to wash clothes, though clothes pins are provided.

The kitchen does not have an American style coffee maker; make sure you know how to use a Moka pot before you go. The freezer works great, the refrigerator does not keep things cold, and probably needs someone to check on it, to see what the problem is.

The positives: it was nice to have two bathrooms and three bedrooms. The living room was large and had comfortable seating, books, and two nice windows each with a tiny balcony, though there are absolutely no English language stations to be found on the TV; not even the BBC, which is a new one for me. This wasn't a major issue for us, but if you were traveling with children, it could be. Some of the lamps did not work; it was quite strange, but they had American style plugs and there were no adapters, so the plugs were just laying on the floor, and the lamps could not be used. This made the living room kind of dark in the morning and evening.

The water pressure is fine and there is plenty of hot water. Everything was clean and worked, though some of the window blinds don't seem to function correctly in the bedrooms, but this is a minor issue. Also, it seems almost impossible to adjust the heat so it's not like an oven, but it may be we just didn't understand how to correctly do this.

The location is great; couldn't ask for better; close to the metro, a wonderful marketplace, where the people could not be friendlier or nicer, and it's pretty quiet. I would caution that you need to be careful to never place your trash in one of the trash cans outside, as whoever owns them will immediately come down and put your trashout on the street! The building is noisy, not from the street, but the people who live upstairs must work strange hours, because you could hear them each night in the wee hours of the morning. Bring ear plugs if you think this will bother you.

The free Wi-Fi worked great, once we figured it out, and was definately a plus.

Overall, the apartment is recommended, especially for families. My biggest complaints would be the apparent misunderstanding about check in, and the noise in the middle of the night, from the tenants upstairs. Since we all travel a lot, we were able to handle the problems, such as the fact there was no one there when we wanted to check-in, but I think an unsophisticated traveler would have just left, caught a taxi and gone to a hotel.

Would I stay at this apartment again? Probably, but now I've gotten the kinks worked out! I think most problems were due to misunderstandings, but honestly, that's not the way to run a successful business.

Madrid is a wonderful city; advise you brush up on your Spanish before you visit, although people went out of their way to even leave their stores to walk us where we wanted to go. A great place to visit!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gracie-boo
cincinnati ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The apt. was comfortable for a family and clean. The location was great. Carlos was very helpful and his english was excellant. I found the information in Rick Steeves Europe book. Cris Bushman

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

Stayed for 3 nights with 2 singles and 2 couples. Perfectly set-up bedrooms for this size of group and could have slept 2 more on livingroom sofas. Close to great restaurants, walking, Prado, train station and metro. Love having kitchen to prepare breakfasts. Wi-fi and clothes washer were added welcome features. Would highly recommend this method of travel over hotels. Have tried VRBO 3 times and each location was excellent (Madrid, Cortona Italy and Santa Ynez Valley in California).

The only very minor negative was that the damage deposit was charged to my Mastercard and later refunded. The exchange from CAD to Euro and back again cost me when there was no damage. Would recommend that the damage deposit not be processed unless there has been damage. Also had to request the refund from the owners. A minor administrative issue.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends