“Authentic and Great value! ”

Restaurante Raco de l'abat
Ranked #3 of 684 Restaurants in Tarragona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Local medieval, acogedor y con buena cocina de mercado. Tenemos menú al mediodia en verano de Martes a Sábado. En invierno de Martes a Domingo.Por la noche abrimos de miércoles a Sábado.
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Found this restaurant on TripAdvisor. The positive reviews are right: this is a place to try. No menu available, but the offered dishes are great, the service is great and the bill shows great value for money. This one is worth trying for those who appreciate the authentic Catalan cuisine.

2  Thank Matthijs W

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Recommend booking thus place if visiting Tarragona. Met by owner who explained all the dishes on offer as they have no written menu. His wife cooked fresh produce that's available in the day. We had steak & fish dishes which were very tasty. The wine recommended was superb. The atmosphere is rustic and very comfortable. Well worth a visit

2  Thank maireadmcl
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

We stepped in on a Thursday evening. There were a couple of tables free and the staff organised us a table for two. Having sat down nothing happened. No one asked us if we wanted to have water or wine, they just looked at us without saying anything. I've read that there are no printed menus so we didn't even know what to eat. A waiter was outside entertaining other customers and a waitress took care of all the inside tables - except ours. I guess the other customers were more important than us. We were really hungry so after 20 minutes waiting I decided to leave. Then the waitress noticed us and only said bye bye. I was so angry I couldn't even reply. I hope the food's good but our experience was so bad I wouldn't recommend this place.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

What an amazing experience. We arrived in Tarragona on our 25th wedding anniversary. During the day we visited the ruins and also went to see the restaurant to make a reservations. We were greeted by the owner and I told him it was our big anniversary and asked if we could possibly get in that night. He is a very a wonderful man that explained there was no menu and his wife made the menu according to what was fresh that day. I already knew this having seen reviews on trip advisor ahead of time. Also our 17 year old daughter was with us. He said he would have a table for us that evening. When we arrived I knew the cute table set for 3 in the corner with flowers was our table! We decided to try the sampler of fresh catch of the day and anything else recommended including wine.There was also a lovely young Italian waitress who spoke English well and helped to explain the dishes. My only regret is to not ask the owner his name and thank his wife for a wonderful dining experience. I would definitely recommend and return the next time I'm in Tarragona Spain. It was definitely one of the top meals we had during our month in Italy and Spain.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

For someone who is not very adventurous when it comes to dining, taking a table for six in a restaurant that actively makes a point of not having a menu was a risk. However, the personality of the restauranteur on first entry made the risk one worth taking - and it's one we were all very pleased with.

The three course €15 a head meal (at lunchtime at least) comes with choices. However, the options were hard to decipher precisely because there was no menu and the owner spoke little English (but to be fair, we were in HIS country and we spoke no Spanish). However, when plates are brought out for other tables they are shown to diners and so the gamble was not hard to take.

The food was excellent. I had salad with cheese, then perfectly cooked and tender entrecôte steak, followed by a caramel coated thin-layer cake. I was a happy diner. Others had shellfish with shortcut pasta, perfectly cooked sea bass, and mango sorbet with a melt-in-the-mouth mini chocolate pudding.

The service is wonderfully slow and there is no pressure selling of drinks. It seems to be the case of 'if the diner wants it they'll ask'. The owner is clearly very passionate about his restaurant, the food his wife cooks, and he loves families (our two families had a teenager each).

All in all, this restaurant was the best we've experienced in this holiday which included Valencia as well as the Costa Dorada. I have no axe to grind and would heartedly recommend it, especially if you're a fussy anglicised diner like me.