See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed here over pride weekend in sitges and the hotel was excellent value for money. The building is incredibly quaint with period furnishings everywhere. The garden square at the rear is perfect for sitting and chatting with friends or fellow guests. The rooms don't have airconditioning but fans but as I was hardly in, this didn't matter.

breakfast was included but as I had breakfast each day with friends who had an apartment overlooking San Sebastian beach, so I can't comment on the quality of the food.

The location is perfect, a few minutes walk from the train/bus station and turn the corner to the left of the hotel and you are on the main street.

Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2012

fabulous staff.... but the rooms in the front of the property I have to say are definitely the noisiest I have EVER stayed in anywhere, (and I have stayed in a lot of hotels) yes Sitges was mad as ever and busy with Pride weekend but the need to sleep and relax was not an option... albeit all this the staff were overly attentive and an asset to the hotel. I would definitely stay again as the hotel and the staff have unique character but the front door banging, the sound of fixtures being dragged along the solid floor at all hours and constant outside noise does your head in after too long....

Room Tip: get one away from the front door...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MadangelNottingham
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel. Our reservation was for the Hotel Romantic but they were booked out for a wedding party for the first 2 nites of our long weekend and though a room did become available we wanted to avoid the noise and were perfectly content going to the "sister" hotel around the corner. What a delight! We had a large room in the back on the 1st floor [the 2nd floor to Americans] with a wrought iron balcony overlooking the dry patio below. It was already "off-season" (being early October) but the days were still averaging around 80 and nites were in the 60s which was perfect for a high-ceilinged room with only a ceiling fan as a coolant. We were the only guests for the first 2 nights. The breakfast in the large courtyard of the Hotel Romantic was thoroughly pleasant! And located virtually in the center of town, it was convenient to most of the Sitges attractions. We would definitely go again . . . off season!

This is a great "hotel" for a weekend stay. And note, it is generally listed as a B&B so it lacks many of the amenities one "associates" with hotels (namely an elevator, room service & 24 hr staff). But has the charm associated with a B&B (homey, well-worn/old-world comfort).

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors in the back w/balconies looking down over the patio are the best . . . quiet & cooler.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jyancy13
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Opinions about this hotel are split between the ones that focus on the fact that the hotel is old and very worn and those who see the charm in it. And to some extent both a right. Even though we checked out of this hotel after the second night I have to say that there is some charm to this place. The garden where the breakfast is served is pleasant, the place has it's own character and can make you feel nostalgic about your grate-grandma's house.

But during the summer when nature tests your ability to adjust to the Mediterranean heat this hotel does not hold up. Not only is there no aircon, but the rooms get very hot and get no draft. Fans do not help at all. If you walk on the tiled floor with bare feet they get rather dirty from the ages dirty floor (at this point dirt on the floor is a layer of sticky somewhat oily coating).

Breakfast in the garden - good idea but there is not much breeze there as it is a fenced of small space.

Staff - I actually think that the staff is genuine and by saying so I mean that they won't share an extra smile but they mean well.

Now should you stay here? In spring or fall this might be charming. But I really think that coming here for lunch of just coffee in the garden is enough if you happen to have spare time and if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank indep_travel
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I was advised by a collegue who lives in the area to use this hotel for a meeting. From the first moment I was in contact with the hotel by telephone I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly with a good level of spoken English. I booked 5 rooms for people to stay in and a sixth room to use as a meeting room. The hotel staff adapted this room with lots of tables and we were able to accomodate up to 11 people around it, including all their computers and papers.

We were all impressed by the security of the hotel given that we were leaving a lot of valuable equipment in the meeting room. All the necessities we had were catered for and any extra requests resolved quickly, including the loan of cables for our equipment when we found we had brought the wrong one! Our only problem was with the wifi, which wasn't strong enough to serve all the computers at once and would cut out from time to time when it got overloaded. Apart from this all our needs were facilitated.

There were no complaints at all about the condition of the rooms from the 9 people who stayed in them. There was only one person who found it difficult to sleep due to the hum of hotel equipment in the bar (which was on the other side of the wall). A new room was arranged for them immediately.

Personally I was very pleased with the room I stayed in, it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms were very big, not the usual pokey boxes you find in modern hotels, which was great for a busy, disorganised person like me to be able to spread themself around in without getting in the way of my tidy, organised room mate! The room had a lovely balcony overlooking the garden.

The best feature for me was definately the staff, who were friendly and helpful on all occasions. At times when there were problems to resolve they did so as quickly as possible, something which was very important for people attending a meeting which only lasted a couple of days. There is a family environment amongst the people there, and I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Junior, Toni and Manuel who made my job as organiser so much easier. My group even had various special requests due to food allergies which they assisted with too.

The location was perfect for us, at only 5 minutes from the railway station (there is one change on the line to reach the airport) and bus stop (a direct service from the airport). Sitges is small and everything else was in easy reach, the beach was no more than a 10 minute stroll away.

The hotel is very quirky and a nice change from the sterile environment you find in modern hotels. The building is genuinely Spanish, as are the furnishings. Breakfast was served in the dining room of the Hotel Romantic, which we entered via the garden walk just in front of the main door of the the Renaxenca. Having a quick look around their large dining space it's clear that the style is very much from the romantic period and very well maintained. The paintings are a good source of conversation!! I feel a lot of effort has been made to make the place interesting. I agree that some of the wardrobes take an extra pull to open and the floor tiles are not pristine, but really the surroundings are authentic and charming. I'm sure Oscar Wilde would have loved it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business