See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We canceled our booking rather than stay here. The address given (not where Google Maps takes you) is indeed a glass door dimly marked with 6,8,10 over the top, and no sign at all for the hostel. The street itself has a lot of graffiti and doesn't look safe (it is also hard to find but I think this is because of the Gothic Quarter's streets more than anything else). The buzzers next to the door are for people's apartments, not the hostel, and you must call the provided number to get ahold of the owner. This was very frustrating for us, as we had emailed when we would arrive at the property but no one was there to let us in. We did not have a phone to call, which is why we emailed, and it took 1.5 hours to make contact with the owner via a wifi phone call.

When we did reach the owner, he said there was a problem with the room and he would take us to another property, Pension Santo Domingo. This was also down a narrow and unsafe looking alley and the building was under construction, so very dusty and full of workers. One of the rooms was not locking so we were going to move to another, but all the rooms had flimsy locks, were very cramped and dirty, sheets were not clean, and the shower was grimy and moldy. The window, which had a metal shutter over it, locked with a small bolt and directly outside were the construction workers--I think it would have been very easy to get inside and this was the second floor of the building. There was no kitchen in this property, as far as we can tell, though there's one advertised for the original building.

Overall it was very seedy and unsettling, did not at all look safe for three female travelers. So we canceled and moved to Hotel Atlas, which gave us an excellent deal on a really nice room (I think we looked desperate)! I would not recommend Best Rooms at all. Too much hassle and far too frightening to put up with. You can find much better for a comparable price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyla L
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Location is excellent: the center of old city. You need less than 5 minutes to go to Rambla (with metro station), port, Catalunia square. Appartments were clean (we took two bedroom appartments), kitchen had everything that we need. It's small, but large terrace has table that we used for our meals.
In general, our impression was very good and we recommend this guesthouse to others. But be prerared ;)
We found the street without problems, but there was no sign of guesthouse on the door (actually it's glass door with numbers 6,8,10 above it) - we had to ask for it at nearby cafe. And we had to wait for the keys almost two hours - landlord's phone had lost signal and we could not reach him by phone.

Room Tip: Select two bedroom appartments - it's excelent choice for family with kids. Take mobile phone with internet - you may need to reach manager by e-mail when you arrive.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank astr0073
Reviewed 25 July 2012

i had booked this hostel months in advance, paid my deposit we arrived in barcelona on sun 22 july to stay two nights .there was myself my husband and our two teenage girls,i rang the contact number a guide came to meet us only to tell us that they were full up and he was bringing us to a cheaper place ,it was a dive in a little dingy back st,i complained that why was the room i had booked not available ,is this not the reason why people in advance. so eventually he brought us to enother place just one min off la ramblas it was called pension bienstar ,very safe we had family roomwas baisic but all we needed was somowhere to sleep .the beds were clean we had toilet and shower next door .fresh towels we would stay here again it is so handy ,i will never book barcelona best rooms again ,and i will not be recomending it to any one by me .

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank mary d
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We hadn't planned to stay here so for a very last minute booking I wasn't expecting a lot. It had clean rooms, provided towels, kitchenware, washing machine and was pretty spacious. There were 4 of us sharing the 2 rooms, with one huge bed and another not so much. However we got given the top floor, with a roof terrace (and loungers) and a private bathroom. It's in a great part of Barcelona where everything is walkable, 5 minutes from La Rambla and 20 minutes from the beach. It's not fancy but it has more than you would need to somewhere you hope to just lay your head in. I agree with comments about waiting on somebody to greet you, but after a call they'll eventually show up. It's Spain after all. And the only other bad point is the A/C isn't great.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2007

I had read on-line reviews of the Barcelona Best Rooms where people had explained that they had to wait outside for the landlord to arrive, since no one was ever on staff there. I thought that this was due to some miscommunication with the landlord. I had e-mailed him with my arrival time, and he wrote back to confirm that he would be there. I called his cell phone as I was leaving the airport, but got no answer. I kept calling for the half hour drive into the apartment, but I didn't hear from him for an hour after we were scheduled to meet. Before he called me, I thought I was in the wrong place. The way the numbers on the street are strange, and the actual address was a building with boards on the windows. So I thought that I wasn't in the right place. It turned out that he had completely forgot about meeting me and was taking a nap. About a half hour later he showed up at the apartment, after I had waited in the wind.

I submitted a complaint about all this, and the landlord offered to compensate me 21 Euros. I sent him my bank information to convert to dollars over a month ago, but I haven't received any information about it. I am not holding my breath that I will get the money.

A few other things about the apartment...

They don't clean the rooms after you check-in, but there was woman cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen everyday. She was nice, and spoke English well. She probably would have cleaned them if asked, but just know that it won't happen on its own.

The furniture in the rooms was very rickety. My room was originally set up with just a bunk bed just on the top. Fortunately they had brought the mattress down to a cot. I think that bunk bed will be broken in a couple of months if people actually sleep on it. I don't weigh much, but it rocked back and forth when I got onto it.

I know Barcelona pretty well, and the location is great. The prices were OK, but if you book early enough you can get something much better for the same price.

Stayed: July 2007