“BCN Backpacker Review”
Review of Backpackers BCN

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Super helpful, friendly staff. In a really good location for seeing the city and getting around! There's a good kitchen to use and a breakfast included each day. The rooms are pretty average but have storage lockers for your stuff which is nice. Everything was clean and I would have no problem telling people to check it out!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sofia C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Backpackers BCN, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Hello young_94!
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are glad to read you had a great stay in our hostel. Hope next time you come to Barcelona you book us again :)

Thank you so much to help us increase.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I stayed at Backpackers BCN because of the great reviews shown here. After finding it to be one of the worst hostels I’ve experienced in Europe (I backpacked once for several months), I wondered what is going on? Here is what I found. There are 89 reviews from people who have only ever made one review on this website (that’s over 36% of all reviews). In some cases years have gone by but there is still not a second review made by these accounts. The first of these one-time reviewers is from October 2013. From 2009 until 2013 there are reviews, but they are by accounts with histories of multiple reviews. Then in 2013 the explosion of one-timers begins. The interesting thing is that 83 of the 89 reviews are 4 or 5 star reviews. What compels someone to open an account to just make one review? Also, 35 of these 89 reviews are written on the same 12 dates even though the reviews cover a time period from October 2013 until three days ago, which is almost 4 years. Lastly, if you look at reviews on a major website for booking hostels, they aren’t so flattering for this place. There are bad reviews here too, but they are buried under heaps of glowingly positive reviews from one-time reviewers. In short, I don’t value these reviews. I feel like I made a mistake in staying at this place, and I will scrutinize reviews more in the future as a result of this experience. Now for the details of my horrible experience-

This place has serious problems despite its potential. I barely slept in this place, and it affected me for days to come. The air conditioners barely do anything. They hardly make any noise, and I had to be very close to them to feel anything. The rooms are so hot that it is hard to sleep at night (over 80 degrees Fahrenheit). The rooms are stuffy with less than ideal air circulation for me.

Barcelona and this accommodation are ridiculously humid. I don’t understand why they have such inadequate air conditioning.

To the best of my memory, the place has 5 toilets and 5 showers. I can’t imagine this being adequate when they are fully booked. The sink faucets have a pressurized knob you push down for water flow. You have to really press hard. The water doesn’t last long enough, causing you to have to push down a second time while your hands are wet. This is the point where if you slip you might almost lose a fingernail, like what almost happened to me.

The hostel’s website advertises a “FREE Welcome pack” if you book at least two nights through their website. The person working at the front desk knew nothing about this, and was told by a superior that there were no welcome packs.

People are right to say that this place lacks atmosphere. The common area has no windows. The place suffers from a lack of windows in general. The staff is very nice, and the breakfast was good for a hostel.

In order to use the WIFI you must login to some sort of website with either your Facebook or Gmail login. Because I felt it was too strange for a hostel to require this, and because the login website did not inspire confidence for me, I never used their WIFI, which was inconvenient.

There are three more problems with the rooms. The beds have a curtain for privacy, but this makes people think that they can do whatever they want in their space, like listening to loud, awful music in the middle of the night! Also, the lockers require a coin for you to remove the key (like what you’d find in a museum lobby). The problem is that when you open these lockers, the coin is dropped so you can retrieve it. This makes a lot of noise and is one more deterrent to decent sleep. Finally, you have to put the sheets on the bed and pillow the day you check-in and are expected to put them in the laundry bin before checkout. Not only does this place charge way too much to not do this service for you, but how is someone supposed to put their sheets on in the dark when others are trying to sleep if they arrive late in the evening?

This place has too many problems. There’s no point going to Barcelona if you can’t enjoy it because you can’t get decent sleep. I’d go somewhere else and pay more.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
BackpackersBCN, Propietario at Backpackers BCN, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Well, I am not going to extend as much as you did, and i am not going to discuss point by point, as many of the faults you find are not really faults, according to what other people think: curtains for privacy (and we cannot control what people do behind them), taps not to waste water, everybody understands this is a hostel and don't expect us to make the bed as if it was a hotel, free huge lockers, free breakfast, huge kitchen, 4 bathrooms for 37 people (more than enough). This is a legal hostel. This means all the ventilation, bathrooms... have been aproved by the government.

About the reviews... i don't know where all this analysis take you. These are real opinions from real guests. If you don't like how they are organized you can tell Tripadvisor.

The air conditionings work fine, but it is difficult to please everyboby. Sometimes people ask for a blanket because they think it is too cold. And Barcelona is humid, you are right. What can we do about that?

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We'll take into account the things that we think make sense and ignore the ones do not make any sense in a hostel, as it it impossible to please everybody and what most people think is what counts for us.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Staff were really friendly and welcoming, the facilities were clean and there were plenty of bathroom so that you'd never have to wait. The common areas were well kept and had a great atmosphere. Breakfast was basic but sufficient. The location is fantastic, out of the hustle and bustle but only 10min walk to the top of La Rambla. Plenty of restuarants and small supermarkets nearby.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sofia C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Backpackers BCN, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Hello Klehmann!
Thank you so much for your positive review!
We are happy to read you had a great stay and you enjoyed your travel! Hope next time you choose us again! :D

Reviewed 4 August 2017

I stayed 4 nights here and the facilities were clean with a nice location, good amenities, helpful staff and an overall positive atmosphere. Booking local tours with the staff was an easy process and there are plenty of nearby transit options available for exploring and getting to and from the airport.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Hello Fastmover!
Thank you so much for this amazing review! We are glad you had a great stay in our hostel! Our main goal is to make you feel like home, and we are happy to read you enjoyed your travel! Hope next time you come to Barcelona you visit us again! :D

Reviewed 21 July 2017

A nice hostel, close to the city center, just 15 minutes walking to Placa Catalunya, where La Rambla starts. Barcelona is a party city, but if you want a quieter place to stay, this is the place and I was looking for such a place.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sofia C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Backpackers BCN, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Hello Michal P!
Thank you so much for your positive reivew! We liked your review! As you said, we are near the centre and our philosophy is to share with you a calm hostel where you can relax and meet new cultures!
Hope next time you come to Barcelona you choose us again!

Backpakcers BCN