“Great building, lovely view, luxurious bed...would I return? No here's why.”
Review of W Barcelona

W Barcelona
Ranked #115 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Visited Feb 17 2012 for a long weekend.

I am giving this 4 stars but what a wasted opportunity - let me explain.

This hotel is stunning in two respects and deserves my rating of  4 stars for these two points alone:

Firstly, the outside visual aspect of the hotel - the iconic W (bella to the taxi if you want to get home - don't say W!) and it's contemporary architecture can be seen from viewpoints all over Barcelona. You feel proud you are staying here. I found myself looking out for 'my' hotel on the Barcelona skyline everywhere I went, not something I have done before. It is that good a building.

Secondly the bedroom and the view from it particularly from the Fabulous rooms of the town and the beach is simply breathtaking  - Wow indeed.

We were on the 16th floor of 25 floors and it is definitely a case of the higher you go, the better the view!

The bed is unbelievable and beautiful to sleep in.

The service from reception and the customer service team are excellent. Their Whatever, Whenver policy really is as it sounds.

Now the bits I didn't like and why it is a missed opportunity and should be 5 star +

What hotel in the world does not provide some sort of tea or coffee making facilities. There is nothing in the room except for the Munchie box (minibar to you and me and very overpriced). We complained and asked the Whenever Whatever team and we got a coffee making machine instantly to their credit but so alien was this concept to the hotel  that we were charged 4.13 euros (yes you read the .13 correctly!) for the milk.
When we got in the room there is alcohol everywhere (in addition to the minibar)  with astronomical prices on the bottles. If you were trying to avoid the drink or were teetotal I would imagine this to be a little annoying.

The food - we did not eat Dinner in the W as we were on a Tapas mission in the old town however we did have breakfast for 3days in a row and boy was the service slow. Also if you re English and ask for sausages, eggs or bacon please expect the wildest interpretation of that! Tasty but minute and a long time coming. I'm not critical really of the quality of what we received I just felt that the staff needed shaking and waking up. its like they have only just opened. For breakfast it actually took 30 minutes to be seated one morning!

The leisure set-up is completely misguided. To charge 20 euros for a jacuzzi and a sauna is ridiculous. Every top hotel in the world gives you a pool indoors (particularly if there is a winter season) as well as fitness room, jacuzzi and steam and saunas for free. The whole spa therapy was vastly overpriced compared to other comparable accommodation we have stayed at. 160 euros for a massage I now know why Starwood use the Wow word so much.
The W has an outdoor pool area to die for in the summer but surely they could have afforded to have installed an indoor winter pool for the amount of money it's guests pay.

The bar drinks are also overpriced and service is again painfully slow. We didn't stay in the hotel in the evenings and hit the old town bodegas and bars which even for a city as big as Barcelona are cheap compared to the hotel! Also surprisingly some of the clientele in the W are worse as well. One night I was accosted by two drunk English guys trying to chat up an older lady sitting at the bar looking very intimidated as they were swearing and causing quite a scene. The W set-up allows outsiders not in accommodation to use the bar and 'nightclub' and because of its uber cool and hit status to the Barcelona night time scene I can see how this may happen.

Great place to go anyway if you go in summer only (so it is not to cold to use the outdoor pool!) if you are not worried about tea and coffee,:) are an alcoholic, not bothered about leisure facilities and like paying for any extras like the internet which nowadays most top hotels give you for free (and so they should when charging a premium price)

I know W is a brand and you're paying for the cool trendy concept but surely Starwood  understands these issues and are going to address them and they really would have an ultra 5 star hotel. In my opinion you should definetely go there for the experience of the view and the bedroom but would I go back for a return visit? No, my hard earned wonga is too valuable to waste on the extras my friend and surely that is what the hotel business is all about?

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view - upgrade to a Fabulous room which overlooks the city and the...
3  Thank wallywalnut
There are newer reviews for W Barcelona

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just came back from a long weekend in Barcelona and stayed at the W hotel. When we checked in there was a slight problem as the pc was being very slow for checking in. Our room was also not ready but before we could say anything, we were offered free drinks in the bar and they said they would come and get us when the room was ready....which is exactly what they did about 15 minutes later. All the staff we came across during our stay were extremetly friendly and attentive.

Our room was on the 22nd floor and I cannot fault it. It was so nice to sit at the window and just check out the view. The shower was also wonderful.

We ate dinner in the Wave Restuarant which was delicious and we had breakfast 3 times in the Bravo restaurant. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was very good but I have heard that if it is not included it is 30 Euro's per person..which it is probably not worth. Then again I only ever take a croissant anyway. We had room service one night which arrived promptly and the food was still nice and warm.

All in all a wonderful experience. A couple of things I would point out though. The hotel is about 20-30 minute walk from Barcelona town. We are quite fit but after walking around Barcelona all day and walking back to the hotel, we could not be bothered to walk back into town for dinner as we were too tired.

The hotel is very trendy and I enjoyed it...however we sometimes take my parents on holiday with us and I think that in this case they would not have enjoyed it as they are in their late 70's. I would also not really take kids here. The hotel is geared to a younger crowd.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

As a CAT 6 SPG property, I expected a clean room. But the studio suite was dirty and run-down. The carpet was stained and dirty. The bathroom tub cover was made out of plastic and the sides were not sealed properly. Best yet was the wiring conduits that were visible above the mirror in the bathroom. When I ask for another room, they told me that there were no more suites left Friday night and Saturday night and I could get a room on a higher floor if I don’t mind giving up the upgrade.

After emailing back and forth with the W-Insider, she was able to secure a cool corner suite on the 18th floor for the last night, and personally review the suite before I checked in. She felt concern about the condition and tried her best to make my stay better. Since I am a SPG Platinum it did help.

The Corner Suite on the last night was the saving grace for me from my wife. She was complaining about the dirty carpets the first 2 nights. The view from the 18th floor on the Corner Suite was nice. Waking up to the Mediterranean Sea sun rise was an unique view.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. 0-6 is not okay.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
wquality, Director of Quality at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Peter K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and the travel community.

I am glad that our W Insider was able to assist you in finding a suite up to your expectations. You can be sure that our Hotel Manager and Director of Style were informed of the situation and corrective actions have been taken from the moment that suite was available.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of your room, I value your feedback and your loyalty as a member of our SPG program, you can be confident that we will take actions.

If a future trip brings you back to our city, please let our W Insider know so she can assist you from the begging of your arragements and provide you with the level of service we are known for.

All the best,

Director of Quality.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Booked a 'wonderful' room for my husbands 50th birthday and got upgraded to a 'fabulous' room on the 21st floor! We had an awesome view and an awesome stay at the hotel, and the birthday cake left in the room for our return on his birthday was a very nice and delicious touch. The eclipse bar on the 26th floor with its amazing views and atmosphere was certainly worth a visit. This iconic hotel is great for a memorable stay in the great city of Barcelona.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
1  Thank Stockeronholiday
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I took my mother to Spain to celebrate her 80th birthday. The W Barcelona was the worst part of the trip.

Upon arriving we were shown to our rooms which were many doors apart despite my request that they be next to each other. This made my mother very uncomfortable and it was completely inexcusable because we were travelling in the low season and I made reservations several months in advance through the platinum guest concierage, No other hotel had trouble with this simple request during my two week trip

Both rooms had mechanical problems. In my mother's room the sink and remote controlled curtains didn't work and in my room the shower didn't work and leaked rusty water. The windows were dirty and there was a dead pigeon, bird crap and annoying bright beacon outside my window. Please take a look at these pictures if you find this hard to believe--I would.
There are 5 pictures you can click to view.

The rooms have min-bars but everything in them is barely below room temperature. If you need ice, you have to call room service and have them bring it up.

There was no upgrade per platinum standards as indicated in one of the other reviews--hopefully the pictures prove this. I can't imagine they have a worse room. I've stayed in W hotels in the U.S. and I thought they were all suites. My rooms were definitely not suites.

I gave them my debit card for incidental charges and they withdrew and held 1800 euros (over $2300) from my checking account without telling me in advance (this was to reserve two rooms for 3 nights each). The money wasn't returned to my account until 3 days after my stay.

I actually could go on but I won't other than to say the manager woudn't even talk to me when I complained at the front desk. The desk did offer me a free breakfast (which costs about $40 a person in this hotel). Otherwise they didn't address my needs.

Advice;
1) Do not stay in Starwood hotels with recommend rates below 70% like this one. But if you must:
2) Do not stay below the 10th floor in this hotel.
3) Stay in rooms far from the elevator (numbers above XX6)
4) Do not reserve rooms with points or they will treat you like a freeloader.
5) The hotel and bar caters to the under 30 crowd, If you like nicer bars and restaurants, you will not want to eat or drink in the hotel.
6) Visit Madrid instead of Barcelona and stay at the Westin Palace--a far superior hotel.

Room Tip: Stay above the 10th floor and far from the elevator. Don't book with points.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Brett P
wquality, Director of Quality at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2012

Dear Brett P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and the travel community.

Even when is not the kind of review we want to have, this is of high value as it gives us an opportunity to improve.

I do not know when did you visit us and definitely do not understand why you didn´t receive the Platinum benefits you are entitled to as we follow strict standards when it comes to our SPG program.

Brett P, you are a very valuable guest, not only because we had the honor to have you, but because you are part of our Platinum guests so the last thing we want is to lose your trust in us. If you feel like being contacted by me to share more details of your stay I will be more than happy to do it. I would just need you to contact us at whateverwhenever.wbarcelona@whotels.com sharing your contact information so I can get in touch with you.

I completely understand your situation and agree with your review. Please accept my sincere apologies and be sure your feedback will reach our General Manager.

Best regards,