“Authenticity ”
Review of Mon Viet

Mon Viet
Reserve with
Mon Viet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #622 of 10,401 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: USD 25 - USD 31
Neighbourhood: El Raval
Description: Restaurante de autentica comida Vietnamita en un entorno urbano que te transportara a las calles de Hanoi y Saigon. Servimos platos tradicionales como la sopa Pho Bo, rollitos Nem, fideos Bun Bo... en un ambiente informal y exotico.
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

This may be Vietnamese restaurant but the owners are a local Spanish/Catalan and a third generation Chinese-Vietnamese born in Spain, third generation restauranteur. I've been to her parents' restaurant 10 years back, hers is a better ambiance, modern and bright (big and clean bathroom I may add). The food is authentic to the extent of what Asian ingredients available in Barcelona. The bún bò Huế needs to be served hotter and more spicy than what was served to me. All dishes were well decorated and nice presentation. The wait staff are not Asian but knowledgeable of the Vietnamese menu, they are very pleasant, eager to please and always come to my table with a smile. The owner herself is a very nice lady who is very hand on in her restaurant, I tried her turmeric and ginger cheesecake and it was absolutely delicious , there was no overwhelming taste of neither ginger nor turmeric; thought it could be a little bit less sweet for my taste.
You get loads of food for very little money. It's a place to go to when you're hungry for some Vietnamese food without going through the trouble preparing it yourself.

Good luck!

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

It was actually the worst Vietnamese I've ever had.
My husband and I were excited to come here and have great fresh Vietnamese. It's one of our favourite cuisines and have been to Vietnam many times.
This was nothing like it.
The rolls (fresh and fried) that we started with had no flavour, the fresh rolls were so loosely wrapped that they fell apart and the nuoc cham had no spice to it.
Hubby had the beef pho which, again, no flavour in the broth and the beef was cut into thick squares and had obviously been pre-cooked.
I had the Bun Bo which is supposed to be fresh but what I got was not. I had the exact same pre-cooked beef, and a nuoc cham with no chilli that was pre poured in a large quantity served hot. This then boiled the beef further and braised the lettuce and carrots making the whole thing taste like a bland, badly made stir fry.
We went here based on trip advisor recommendations so I hope I can guide someone thinking about eating here.

Món Việt B, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mon Viet, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Hi Stephanie,

We work really hard to make a great product and offer the best experience to our costumers. Most of the times we do it, we accomplish that, as you can see on Trip Advisor. But, as everyone else we are not perfect. We're so sorry you felt this way, and hope to see you back in MonViet some day to show you a real taste of Vietnam in Barcelona.

MonViet Team

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

I was in Vietnam this year and missed the food so much....not anymore! My friend and I came and had the 15€ tasting menu viet tapas and it's as good (at least!) as anything I ate in the country itself. The pho broth is divine and all the other little tapas just as good. Don't miss this place (but don't come too often either, I want seat again tomorrow)!

Reviewed 12 May 2017

I love Vietnamese food, and my trips to that country always included 3 meals a day. One can't expect too much in Spain where there just aren't that many Vietnamese restaurants. I had tried to eat here several times at 8 PM but I was told the employees weren't ready until 830-not too unusual for Barcelona. There's a good-sounding tasting menu for 15 E, but I was alone and the rules require 2 persons. I chose one of the 2 white wine offerings (France) for 3 E and the fresh roll appetizer, available in s different flavors, with green papaya, a good deal at 6,1 E.These tasted freshly made but were a bit on the small side. I followed with bun with shrimp, rice noodles, and veggies (8 E). This was a medium sized dish served a room temperature. It was good but if I had closed my eyes, it could have been a Thai or even a Chinese dish. What was missing was the abundance of vegetables usually found in bun. The menu features a number of meats and seafoods and 5 different kinds of pho, the signature Vietnamese soup. My meal came to 19,90 E with a mineral water- an excellent price for dinner. The service was friendly and fast. I was offered a taste of the 2 wine offerings before choosing. I will go back to try the pho. I liked the decor-relaxed but not glitzy, and quiet. Free wi-fi and good for vegans.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

We had the tasting menu for 15EUR/person and while the quality of the food wasnt bad, the portions were very small and we still felt hungry when we left. They serve only 2 spring rolls and 2 nems for two people which is probably why we didnt feel satisfied. The service was great at first, but after 3 dishes they seemed to have forgotten about us and the lunch dragged on for an other hour...we had ordered extras with the tasting menu but because they took too long we finally decided to cancel them in the end. Not keen on going there again soon.