“Wonderful local spot”

Price range: USD 13 - USD 19
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gòtico (Barri Gòtic)
Description: If you are looking for an authentic tapas bar, with the same dishes (anchovies, sausage tomato salad with onions, anchovies and olives and fried sardines) than when it was founded in 1945, where you can enjoy an exceptional wine, do not hesitate. Tourists and lifelong parishioners, anonymous and famous guests (from Ferran Adria taking a break from his techno-emotional cuisine to Daniel Bruhl preparing his next film or Bono, from U2, tuning his voice); all of them looking for a place in one of the six tables of this charming restaurant in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, a reference and an institution of tapas in Barcelona.
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We came here as a part of our Tapas, Taverns & History of Barcelona walking food tour with Devour Barcelona. Such a wonderful, authentic, local, tiny spot! We loved learning how to drink wine from the traditional Catalonian glass vessel, a porron - kind of shaped like a watering can for your garden, but the spout is long and narrow - without touching it to your lips, you aim it high above your mouth, ahhhh, got lots of funny videos from this experience! We ate delicious tapas, lots of gorgeous super fresh local fish and sausages, lovely tomatoes and olives. The menu is small, but every dish is authentic, local and perfectly prepared, be sure and go! Very welcoming staff!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The menu is limited to about 4 items- sardines, sausage, onion/tomato salad, and bread. If none of those appeal to you, I would suggest eating elsewhere. The menu is cheap but I wasn't blown away by any of my food, the reviews listed here gave me very high expectations. Fine stop for a small snack, but I think the reviews led me a bit astray on this one.

3  Thank ylrac123
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

I recommend this place to anyone coming to Barcelona.

I visited this small tapas bar for a light lunch. The menu was limited,but every food I ordered was very good. I particularly enjoyed fried fish, and tomato salad was so refreshing! They didn't have an English menu, but the staff was so friendly and helpful. What a nice afternoon to enjoy good beer and crispy fried fish!

I really liked the cozy and friendly atmosphere. After experiencing a highly over rated tourist trap, this place was a real gem with an authentic food and lovely staff. I highly recommend this place and I'd definitely come back!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

The place is very small and nice and the food is excellent, above all you have to try the pescaditos fritos. In my opinion they are the best pescaditos in Barcelona. The wine is also fantastic. Pepe, the barkeeper, sometimes can seem a bit cold and grumpy but once you get in conversation with him, it turns out that he is a very nice and friendly guy.

The menu is small (same 4 tapas since over 70 years) one white wine, one red wine etc. but it's really worth it since the quality is excellent.and the prices are not as high as in other bars and restaurants in this area of the city. I will definitely return on my next trip to Barcelona.

2  Thank Alessa K
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Located in a rather touristed area, this place offers only 4 Tapas and wine right from the cask. Packed mostly with locals, the rustic hole-in-the-wall atmosphere is worth a visit!