“Heated Pool - Heated to freezing only!”

Aparthotel Noelia Playa
Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in Puerto de la Cruz
Ilkley
“Heated Pool - Heated to freezing only!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2008

We booked this hotel solely on the basis of the advertised 'heated pool on roof''. We knew the weather would be coolish in March and, liking to be active on holiday, fondly imagined ourselves swimming in the likes of the Havana rooftop pools, but without the long flight. Ha ha.
There are solar panels on the roof and wiring leading to the pump house but where the heat goes after that is anybody's guess, but it's definitely not the pool. Enquiries at reception revealed that the pool is heated 'by the sun' (well aren't they all, but the others don't advertise themselves as heated in that case) especially in March under the cloud attracted by Mount Tiede. I went in twice and had to go straight in a bath of hot water because I was blue! Bitter disappointment that and I should think other people are disappointed too. Technically this is misrepresentation.
Apart from that the hotel is in a good position -no one else mentioned how near it is to Loro Park, one of the best zoos in Europe -5 mins walk- and the rest of the town. Don't eat there though - soggy veg and dry fish al la works canteen. Beds were large but what is in them ? They creak so much they wake you up!
Apart from that the place was OK. Average clean hotel.

• Liked — Convenient access to cultural, leisure and adventure activities.
  • Disliked — Freezing pool misrepresented as heated. I am really narked about that. . . .
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank syko24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
private
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2007

Overall I agree with the previous review, although I had no problems with AC and never touched the tv anyway... The beds were a bit hard for my taste and very squeaky (I woke myself up every time I rolled over!) but that is really my only complaint. The kitchenette was clean and well-equipped. The staff was so nice that we decided on the spot at check-in to book an additional night instead of spending our last night further south at one of the more flashy locations (such as Los Cristianos). And although it was high season, and at first we were told we might have to switch rooms for the last night, they managed to juggle things so that we didn't - way to go!
As for the pool, who needs it? It was an easy 5-10 minute walk to Playa Jardin (although I personally might hesitate to take kids to a beach in Tenerife, where apparently bikini tops are an option most ladies ignore...). Ditto for food - so many restaurants to choose from!
So in short, if Puerto de la Cruz is your kind of resort and you want an affordable place with great location, nice clean rooms, friendly staff and not bothered about a pool then Noelia is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank kitronit
lancs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2007

Just arrived back from noelia, I have been to Puerto de la cruz, too many times to remember,since I was 12 weeks old, and am nearly 30! So I knew what to expect from the resort, it is beautiful to me, lovely people,scenery,food,weather can be cloudy but was in 30s every day while I was there (29/05/07-07/06/07). Anybody wanting major nightlife, puerto isnt the place, want a relaxing holiday with good inexpensive food and lots of nice shopping it is!
Anyway, back to the hotel!! I planned holiday for a while, reading reviews and going direct on hotels in puertos websites, it was between two, el tope and here, i went for the noelia due to the sites photos, was a bit dissapointed.
Stayed in a studio,cannot fault the room, apart from two things...The aircon leaked if you left it on too long,and the tv you had to pay for, which it does not state anywhere on any advertising,naughty!!
The pool and food were my major dissapointment, took my 9 month old daughter, and really wanted to take her swimming, but couldnt..I am no softy but the pool was FREEZING, I dont mean a bit cold, it took me nearly five minutes to get my whole body in! I have never known a pool like it! even when the weather was hot, it was cold! plus in desperate need oof painting, the paint peeling at bottom, doesnt make you want to get in!!
Now the food....oh no!! I woul be here all day, lets say if you dont like ham, mayo, chips, veal,dry fish,chicken nuggets, soggy veg..you are in for a dissapointment!! I am not being mean this is all that was on ofer for the nine days, the same ingredients, just made a bit differenly..you also got breakfast remanants(bacon, egg) in the servings for dinner, I got to the stage i lived on salad, apart from going to my fave place to eat at lunchtime!
Cannot fault the staff, helpful, friendly, made my daughter so welcome,fussed over her, put her in highchair..they were lovely!!
I cant say I would go again, which is a shame as apart for the pool,food and aircon, is a nice place!!
Not great for kids, in a lovely situation not far from town.
My opinion, if you are wanting a place to stay that is convenient access to town and beach, want to go b/b or s/c and not bothered about a pool is great, if want more from your hotel,then it isnt

• Liked — the friendly staff, convenient location and views
  • Disliked — food, pool
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank petal123
Nantes- France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2007

I am just returning from this Aparthotel where we went together with a friend.
We already knew the south of Tenerife and wanted to visit the north of the Island to escape a bit from “the mass tourism” as it is supposed to be greener and quieter.
We stayed there for the week-end on a half-board basis.
I found it is a very charming place because of its size but above all thanks to reception staff (willing to help, warm welcoming)
The atmosphere appeared to be friendly and family kind (we watched TV with other guests like at home, in a proper living-room!). We stayed few hours at swimming pool and solarium on the roof and enjoyed peacefulness. When we went out on Saturday night we could see many people dancing at the disco. I also had to send an e-mail to mum and could do it easily as the hotel had computers with Internet access.
The hotel is well situated, only 10 min from Playa Jardin, a dark sandy beach where you go passing through flowered paths, very nice ;) !!!
The bus station is only at 5 min walking and town centre a 15 min walk
The rooms are ok, for my part, I liked soft colours used for sheets and curtains in orange tones…We ate only once at lunchtime, average quality but can´t really comment about it as didn’t eat so much…

The town itself is lovely! Typical small streets, shops and good food in local restaurants. I advice to go at Lago Martianez, an artificial lake which is similar to a big swimming pool with jet of water!
We also went to a traditional event, El baile de Magos, in Los Realejos. It was wonderful, everyone was dressed in traditional Canarian suit that you could rent only for 15€, People were dancing in the streets of the town centre, there were concerts in live, small stands for food and beverage, a must to do!

• Liked — furnitures and colours
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends