“Superb paella in a relaxed fun atmosphere”

La Mariterranea Formentera
Ranked #1 of 274 Restaurants in Formentera
Price range: USD 12 - USD 46
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

We were so delighted to be able to reserve a table at this super friendly restaurant where it is all about the food! Thanks Jim and all the tram, an amazingly delicious paella with surprises, oh and the carpaccio was delicate and sublime.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

This little gem of a restaurant is always a complete pleasure to dine at. Antonio and Pilli always ensure a warm welcome and create a relaxed but perfect dining experience. Jim their chef cooks up some culinary delights no wonder their reputation proceeds them and you have to book a few nights in advance as the food is to die for. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant so glad I found it on my first visit and I will ensure to visit again and again

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Perhaps our best dinner in Formentera. We tried shrimps and scallops’ carpaccio, fritto misto and paella de langostas. All paired by a white glass of wine recommended by the host. You need a reservation as it is always fully booked, and you need to call around lunch break to be able to reserve a table.

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Let’s just say that my vacations are highly influenced by experiences and quite high on the list you’ll find food.

Got lucky to get a table on Monday night (made sure I would get lucky by “dropping by twice in 16 hours”... being persistent for what you really want...), we had the best paella I ever had and some fun with the crew. Everything that night was perfect, from the starter, lobster paella to the cheesecake dessert and last but not least, the staff. Wine list is quite original in its form, affordable and pretty well thought of.

Since I woke up still raving about it, I wanted to go back the next day, my wife agreed and we once again got lucky, (told them I didn’t care what time of the day would suit them, lunch, early evening, late night), got to try the ailloli, steak filet and cod, then cheesecake again for good measures. I eat out a lot, but I will also remember this diner for months.

These people are mastering what they are doing. No other words. They could work anywhere in the world and they would be extremely successful just doing what they do everyday in Formentera. I would eat with them any day of the year, anyplace, no questions and as we say in france “debout sur la table !”.

Also, I would also have a drink and discuss life with everybody at La Mariterranea with great pleasure. Food and hospitality business is quite demanding as you know if you’re interested in the matter, yet these people accomplish it with a mix of simplicity, fun and elegance that is truly humbling.

I would do more than to recommend this place, I would command you to go there if you happen to be in Formentera.
In France we say a Michelin Star is enough to have you travel to a place to experience it. Michelin is sometimes over rated and doesn’t cover the whole world, yet the idea stuck, I know I’m coming back to formentera at some stage and this restaurant plays a big part in this commitment of mine.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Our trip to Formentera wouldn’t be complete without dropping into the no1 restaurant La Mariterranea..

As always the food and service was 100% perfect, all the staff work so hard and always attention to detail. The same staff for 3x years and no1 on Trip Advisor for 3x years.

Best food and great value, we always have the red paella (you need to order when reserving)

Fantastic atmosphere as the venue is not corporate, you are looked after by the owners.

Thank you as always for a special evening.

(Make sure you leave room for homemade cheesecake)