“Worse than Melia Princesa Madrid”
Review of Melia Sevilla

Melia Sevilla
Ranked #28 of 176 Hotels in Seville
Perth, Australia
“Worse than Melia Princesa Madrid”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Having been stayed at Melia Princesa Madrid, we expected to have the similar service provided by Melia Sevilla. Alas, there was no concierge on the door so we had to carry 3 luggages by ourselves to reception AND to our room. The room is the same as Madrid with additional shower box, and has a great view of Plaza de Espana, but shockingly they don't provide kettle and complimentary tea and coffee! There was no bathrobe and slippers either, even though there is supposed to be a nice spa downstairs. We didn't prebook the breakfast so we were charged €41.00 for the buffet for 2. The location is right behind Plaza de Espana but rather 15-20 minutes away from the old city. There is no descent coffee/breakfast place nearby we could find. Regret that booked 3 nights in this hotel. Next time in Sevilla, I'd rather stay somewhere else, probably somewhere closer to cathedral/alcazar which provide lots of eating places.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FinallyWoken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Approaching this hotel by foot, one thinks, "good grief - what a dump". Enter the building and you have been transformed into a cool, modern, slick interior with great front desk attention.
Things get even better when you open the door to a beautifully designed room. Their bed was better than our own at home - it's simply the best bed and the best bathroom I have ever been in - particularly for 150 dollars. The WIFI never blinked and we had a room over Plaza Espańol and the pool. The location is excellent - you are just 2 blocks through a park to San Fernando and then past the University to where all the action is!
Best surprise for us was that it was so close to El Cid where the Aero-Bus stops. Stress free transition is to hop off the public bus from the airport and be at your hotel in less than 10 minutes. I really recommend it for independent travellers who want to get oriented to the city and enjoy comfort, security and class before moving to more challenging locales. We were here during Semana Santa and the city is so busy it was smart to start out in this location where you are slightly out of the epicentre of chaos.
I can't give the hotel my highest rating for a single reason: sitting inside the lounge or your room and it feels like it could be Berlin, Toronto, or Hong Kong. There's simply not an Andalusian ambience. Otherwise, excellent value in a quiet location which is easy to find.

Room Tip: We paid six Euros for a great view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria-Enrique
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Travelled here for 3 nights before flying to Lanzarote. Had never been to Seville so wanted the security of a well known brand. Hotels location is very good, within walking distance to centre or you can take a tram. There are a few nearby bars and restaurants which we used and lovely parks to sit and read in the shade while having a beer! It was very hot when we went.
Hotels breakfast was good, varied selection of hot items (eggs, bacon, sausage) and cold meats along with fruit and cereals. Staff were courteous and helpful.
Room was very modern and spacious with a balcony which was good. View wasn't brilliant but it was nice to sit there later in the evening with a glass of wine.
The hotel has a great outdoor swimming pool which was refreshing after a days sightseeing in the heat.
One small niggle was that I asked the barman for a glass of ice to take to my room. He said I had to call room service to order it.
The airport bus stop is about 300m away.
If I came to Seville again I would probably stay in a smaller central hotel now that I am familiar with Seville but would recommend this hotel to the first time visitor.

Room Tip: I had a 2 nights for one offer for my birthday as I am a member of Melias MAS rewards scheme. Its wo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YrTyOlaf
Spain
Reviewed 27 March 2012

When we arrived, we went to the normal Reception area, but were told we had to go to the end of the hall to The Level reception. The receptionist there couldn't have been lovelier. She showed us the special facilties available for us (it was tea time, so there were cakes, biscuits, coffee, alcohol, soft drinks, etc).
The room was amazing! It was large and with a great view of the Plaza de España. The only drawback was that at night, the noise from the avenue below was very loud and I was later told that the rooms at the back were quieter. But, you can't have everything! There were some great 'freebies' and the wardrobe which opened onto the bathroom was very original.
In the evening, we walked into the old part of Seville (about 20 minutes) and when we got back to the hotel, there was a variety of tapas downstairs, to which you could help yourself (and wine and cava!).
The problem now is that I'll want this kind of special treatment at every hotel I go to!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahyas
Essex, UK
Reviewed 20 March 2012

It was my first time in Seville and I chose the Melia
sevilla as it was relatively close to the old town. I was really underwhelmed by this property, so unless you get a good rate...just don't stay there.

Things started off with a completely disinterested check in. I handed the receptionist my passport and credit card without prompting...that saved him having to grunt anything at me. The only conversation amounted to the room number and floor when he handed over my key! No information about facilities, breakfast, or offer to help. I wasn't offered an internet code which you need to access the wi fi.

The hallways are dark, and as I arrived quite late i stepped out of the lift into darkness. I didn't find the room easily (sounds ridiculous i know) but along a dark corridor, through what i first thought was a fire door, turn around a corner into a back corridor. plus point no passing guests to make a noise. i didn't need that, the traffic outside kept me awake, despite being on the 10th floor. and it goes all night long.....

the bed was too soft, and typically for europe was 2 singles pushed together. i leaned on the headboard too hard when reading my guidebook and felt it wheel forward! Saw the housekeeping staff on 2 occasions, they were really pleasant and friendly and the room was very clean.

the room itself was modern, but dark. no carpet, wood effect floor which was hard underfoot. the bathroom was great, but shower only.

checking out was as underwhelming as my reception..with another grunt, and none of the usual pleasantries such as "did you enjoy your stay"

so all in all i didn't think much of the place, and didn't sleep for 3 nights...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo