All reviews fun place to stay unforgettable stay downtown granada sitting area two nights minute walk caves sacromonte bedroom amenities fridge taxi alhambra instructions spain
Reviewed 22 January 2018

I spent a month traveling throughout Spain in October 2017 and without a doubt the best place I stayed in was my two nights at Cuevas el Abanico in Granada.

The caves:
- I booked one of the smaller caves and it was huge. It had a kitchen with a fridge, dishes, kettle, cooktop, etc, and there was a little bowl of tea and snacks on the table. A nice touch!
- There was a small-ish, but big enough, bathroom with hot water and thick towels.
- The cave had a sitting area with couches and the bedroom had a little closet space set into a niche in the cave wall. It was so quiet all the time. I had such restful nights!

The hotel:
- It's a small space but each cave has its own sitting area outside and you can go up the stairs to the top of the caves where there are clotheslines and wonderful views of the Sacromonte.
- The front gate locks but the key works fine.
- The staff are great. They're not around all night, so make sure you have what you need during the day. As an example, I needed to check out super early to go to the Alhambra when I knew no one would be at the front desk. I mentioned this in advance and so they let me leave my bags in the room and come back for them later in the afternoon, at no charge.

The area:
- I came to this hotel having read the reviews and expected a tough climb to get there - but it was even harder than I thought. A taxi dropped me off at a restaurant and I climbed multiple stairs and steep trails with my huge, heavy backpack. It was a real slog, and be prepared. But it's completely worth it, and I would do it again.
- The Sacromote is a beautiful part of Granada. You can't see the Alhambra from the hotel itself, but if you round the corner you're treated to an incredible view of it. It's fun to be staying so high up in such a unique neighbourhood. But you WILL get lost. I loved staying here, don't get me wrong, however I was here alone and it was kind of creepy walking around at night because it's dark and quiet and there's hardly anyone else around. I made it a point to come back no later than 9:00 pm because it was deserted even then. There isn't much in the immediate area of the caves, but it's an easy walk to the Albayzin. It only takes about 20 minutes to walk from the caves to the Alhambra, and about the same distance to the downtown.

In short, this is an unmissable, unforgettable place to stay. I loved my cave, and being in the Sacromonte. There would be more to do if you stayed in downtown Granada (and it would certainly be easier to get around!) but I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Just be prepared for the climbing! With all the amenities here you could stay very comfortably for weeks at a time. I wish I had more than two nights!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Angela K
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Was very special time in granada, the caves was perfect clean snd the area is like a dream. Excelent, quite and the service was so nice . I recoment this place and this experiencie. If u travell to granada please be there

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

We had an adventure finding the hotel that spanned several hours and finally had to call to request a motorcycle escort. Therefore, when we arrive, we were hungry and impatient and didn't allow the propriotess to fully explain the amenities. This caused us to miss the location of the Internet password. However there was so much to see and do in the area that the loss of technology was not a problem. The hotel was comfy, the view was spectacular and the price was great.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We stayed in a 2 bedroom cave end August 2017 & really enjoyed it. Carol was very welcoming & gave us great instructions to drive there, especially as it's a restricted area. Parking is easy nearby, with a shortish walk up some cobbled steps to the caves. Buses & taxis seem plentiful nearby, although we found walking everywhere was fine.

The cave itself was quirky, well equipped, clean, very comfortable & cool in the hot Granada August days. It is well placed for visiting Alhambra, about 20 minutes walk.

Carol was very informative about sightseeing, restaurants, supermarkets etc. We found some great local restaurants within a 10 minute walk.

Highly recommended.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank BobLiz15
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Our stay here was idyllic. Rooms are comfortable in every way, the view from the neighborhood can't be beat.
Def in top ten.
Accessibility could be a problem for those with wheels; very steep inclines

Room tip: Not applicable
Date of stay: July 2017