All reviews small courtyard tram reception elevator city wifi
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband chose this hotel for me, it being the second choice after another hotel that had been recommended. He had had to attend the Universitaetsklinikum on Liebigstrasse and chose it on the basis that it wasn't too far away or too pricy (a big medical conference in the city had pushed hotel prices up that week). He found the reception staff pleasant to deal with in English. I travelled from Berlin by train and knew I wouldn't get to the hotel before 10pm, so had to phone up to confirm my room was still available. I risked speaking German (on the phone and on arrival) to the duty receptionist and it went well. I was a little surprised at the size of my room, which was smaller than I had expected and a little cramped. That said, there was adequate wardrobe space and the bathroom was a reasonable size. There was a modern flat-screen TV and a mini-bar, but no kettle or in-built safe. Apart from that, the room was clean and comfortable.
I liked the breakfast room and the different choices of food available: cereals, breads, eggs, sausage, bacon, cold meats, cheeses, jams, etc. The coffee was good and service was brisk. Each day there was a leaflet with information about the weather and guided tours in the area.
Two days after I arrived I collected my husband from the hospital. He was drained and weary after his experience there and needed his rest. Unfortunately, there was some sort of building or repair work going on in an adjoining building, so hammering and drilling noises kept him awake when he should have been napping during the day. Not the fault of the hotel.
Although the hotel is within reasonable walking distance of the Universitaetsklinikum if you're fit and healthy, it's in an out-of-the-way part of the city and you need to travel by tram to get to the city centre. You can get the Nr 4 on Riebeckstrasse itself or walk around the corner to Praegerstrasse to get the Nr 12. There are also buses in the area, but the busstops are a little too far for someone unsteady on their feet to walk to. This section of Riebeckstrasse is a little scruffy and there are not too many restaurants in the area. The nearest are an icecream parlour and a Lebanese (?) place directly opposite, and a Greek restaurant a little further away. Handy to the nearest bus and tram stop is a reasonable supermarket. A little further away on Praegerstrasse are an Indian restaurant which has the usual Indian dishes plus pizzas and noodles!
Check-out went smoothly and we were given a little teddybear as a souvenir. It took me a while to get the hang of opening the door with the electronic key - an unusual system involving holding the card up to a little knob, waiting for the lights to flash green and then twisting the knob. A small battering ram would have been easier!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the inner courtyard and was probably quieter than the rooms overlooking the streets. You would certainly hear the trams passing at the front rooms and they start around 4.30am.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights in August whilst exploring Saxony and thought that this was a very nice hotel and quite reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and accommodating which always makes or breaks a stay in an hotel for me. The room was clean and spartan and quite adequate for my needs. The breakfast, which is included in the price, is the usual buffet one expects on the continent, cold meats, sausage, smoked salmon, breads, cheeses etc and none the worse for it. The surrounding area is a little dour but it's only a quick 5 stop journey on the tram into Leipzig which has been beautifully renovated. I'll be 'Bach' (terrible pun intended) and would definately stay here again for a solo visit.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This hotel was a little drive away from the town center, but there was also a tram just outside if needed. The value was excellent for a basic room. There is no a/c and it got a little warm so we left the windows open. Unfortunately, by doing this we heard every tram go by our room. There is a small charge for wifi. There is some free parking on the sidestreet. The staff was great and very helpful. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ed_WallaceKitchener
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Although a bit out of the main city center, this place was a good place to stay. Breakfast was great. The staff was very, very friendly and helpful. The lobby smelled like smoke, which was the only downside, but that was minimal. Staying there also felt like I was more of a local, as apartments, instead of tourists, surrounded most of the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Very good value for money. The location is off the centre but only a pleasant tram ride from the Hauptbahnhof. Tram times may be found on the LVB website (the hotel staff printed out a tram timetable for me which is kind).

I stayed in a single room. The room is relatively small but has all necessary facilities, and it is quite pleasant. Internet comes with an extra charge but is very affordable, something like 3 euros.

Breakfast also offered a decent selection of food.

Room Tip: Room facing the backyard is always quieter and was provided upon request.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo