“Outstanding/Ausgezeichnet!”

Best Western Hotel Windorf
Ranked #34 of 103 Hotels in Leipzig
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Stayed 6 nights here, and couldn't have been happier.

The hotel is located in the Windorf area of Leipzig, about a 25 minute tram ride from the main railway station. It is very easy to find, although the pedestrian access, past a slightly overgrown garden of a Clinic is perhaps a little dark at night.

If I call this a good, old-fashioned hotel, I mean it as a compliment.
My room, a twin for single occupancy with a balcony was huge; the bed very comfortable (extremely firm), and the bedding crisp and clean and cool.
The bathroom was a good size too, with a shower with good pressure, a big, clean basin, and plenty of space for toiletries.
It was particularly nice that all the towels/bathmats were a sunny yellow in colour; I presume that's just Best Western's colour scheme but it certainly added to the feeling of welcome in the room.

Every bit of the room was spotlessly, scrupulously clean.

A hospitality tray held a kettle, mugs, coffee, and fruit teas. There was only one electric socket on the big desk area but a multipoint adapter was provided in the drawer.

It was very quiet within the hotel, except for when nearby occupants walked up and down their balcony in hard heels. I could hear the trams running past, even with the windows closed, but I find that soothing, not a problem.

Breakfast was served in the fairly small restaurant but there was never any queuing for the buffet, plenty of choice and good quality. We ate in the restaurant the first night - cream of asparagus soup, delicious! - and again, the quality was very good.

All of the staff - restaurant, breakfast, receptionist, night porter, housekeeping/chambermaid were efficient, helpful and kind, and bore with my German remarkably well. Best Western should know what great ambassadors for the brand all the staff are.

The tramming it in and out was a bit of an issue, as we were in Leipzig for the Ring Cycle at the Opera House over 4 nights: each day was spent in town, then 25 mins back to the hotel for a quick change, 25 minutes back in again for the opera, and a late night tram back. However, that was our choice, as the inner town hotels were a lot more expensive.

I've read negative comments about the area out to and around the hotel, and certainly part of the main road/tramline out has some parts with many old and vandalized buildings/factories. However, on one day we investigated some of the "hinterland" of side streets off the main road, and were surprised how well maintained, often newly refurbished those streets were. It was as though the refurbishment had been happening behind the "screen" of the shabby main road; I took lots of photos of the main road - perhaps in 5 years' time it will all be sanitized and perhaps the duller for it.
Whether at the station at night/catching the tram amongst hundreds of football spectators/walking from the tram stop to the hotel, at no point did it feel dangerous.

I paid about €490 for 6 nights bed and breakfast, and thought I got a good deal.I recommend this hotel unreservedly, and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: 103 is huge with a balcony. Can hear some tram noise but no noise from car park/main entrance.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Hotel was not so easy to find by car when driving from the centre of Leipzig but apparently there is excellent publc transport close by. Computer and printer in reception which was useful for printing our flight boarding passes. We had our dinner in the restaurant and although the menu wasn't in English with our Deutsch and the waiters both speaking very good English we managed to order.
Just a pity that there is no tea and coffee provided in the room which seems to be normal in Germany but for this price of hotel we would have expected it.Staff were all helpful.

Room Tip: We had one on the 4th floor but the location is quiet anyway. Trams could be heard but this didn'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Global59
Reviewed 31 March 2014

When we ran out of staying power on our trip from Wroclaw to Holland, we came off the motorway (3-4 minutes) in the hope we could find a room. They did, at a reasonable price and a very nice room with breakfast included. Beds were large and comfortable. For a budget hotel, everything worked, was clean, service at check-in, in the bar and at breakfast was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in Leipzig during the Book Fair so a hotel with decent price was hard to find, so I chose this one despite it's distant location, especially regarding the Fair centre. However, I was very pleased with this hotel! It's a 20-30 mins by tram, but it's right next to the tram stop. The room was large and clean, the bed was nearly perfect. The bathroom was also large and perhaps recently renewed. The staff and their service was very friendly. I found the breakfast also very good. I had dinner in the hotel too and was very satisfied with my meal (there aren't really restaurant choices in that area). The only thing that did not work was the WiFi, but the customer computer in the lobby worked fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frida30
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was in Leipzig on business and stayed one night in this hotel. I didn't know what my company booked, so when I saw this communist-style apartment block house - I wasn't impressed. But it was all only better from there on. The staff was professional, friendly and fast (we were a big group of people). The room was big, really nothing fancy, but well maintained, taken care of and clean. There was a balcony with a garden chair in it. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet, despite a tram line passing some 50 meters away from the building. That didn't really disturb my sleep.
Breakfast was by no standards good, I saw comments saying otherwise, but in my opinion - it's at most OK. The buffet selection was quite limited and the food was not really top quality. Eggs and sausage were OK, but if you wanted italian/french style breakfasts - you would be out of luck. Pastries were bad and not fresh.
Overall, what matters is that the place was clean, well maintained and the sleep was good. It was a good experience and a positive surprise. If you're OK with basic German breakfast and not-so-central location - this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business