“Second Stay in Two Years: Good Breakfast, Comfortable Room (for 1 or 2 people), Disappointing Check-in”

Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Centre
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Reviewed 13 August 2017

My family and I stayed here two years ago and I returned this time on business because of the location, clean rooms, and good breakfast.

Just a a short walk from the main train station, this hotel is located near the old city, many restaurants, and is served well by public transportation (although you really don't need that here).

Rooms are most comfortable for 1-2 people. Mine had a full-sized bed and a fold-out couch. If my teenage son and wife had been with me, things would have been tight, especially with all of our luggage and the couch folded out. Just be aware of that. For two people in a room, it is quite comfortable.

Wi-fi was spotty in the rooms and could be stronger, but judging from the management's response to comments on this site, they're working on that.

Breakfast was great! I don't understand the criticisms I've read here: there were a variety of breads, yogurts, cereals, jams, fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, and drinks available. What else do people want for a free (or even not free) breakfast? The staff in the restaurant was attentive, constantly refilling food and cleaning tables.

My only complaint relates to check-in: the young woman (whose initials are A. B.) was working on something when I arrived, but didn't bother to acknowledge my presence when I walked up to the desk. Nobody else was around. I waited patiently. She finished what she was doing and just looked up at me--didn't say a word. I said, "I have a reservation under the name of -----." Again, no response. Throughout the check-in process, she was abrupt. When she finished, she handed me my key, saying nothing. She didn't say, "Breakfast is served from --- to --- in the dining room over here" or "The elevator is to the right", etc.-- nothing. This clearly is a management or training issue that needs to be addressed. Sure--everyone has a bad day, but you don't take it out on the customer. While the others I interacted with at the front desk were friendly and helpful, one person can ruin a guest's experience.

Room Tip: Upper floor on the back of the building
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Guest_Service_DD, Guest Service Assistant at Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear jsc traveler,

thank you for your review to your stay. We are happy about any feedback from our guests. Only in this way are we in a position to improve.
We hoped that you had a good stay and would be please if you will book us next time again if you are in dresden.
Anne Penz
Guest Service Assistant

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We are visiting Dresden on a regular basis and always stay at the Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Center! The location is just perfect and only minutes away from both the main train station and the old town with all major sights. The staff is always very friendly and helpful and I appreciate that we are always given a room on the top floor facing the old town when possible. The breakfast is included in the room rate and although it is pretty basic, the choice is really good for a Holiday Inn Express!
The only minor point of criticism are the small towels in the bathroom. I wrap them around my head to dry my hair after taking a shower but they are so small that this is hardly possible.
Many thanks again to all of the staff who always make us feel very welcome in Dresden!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Michaela M., Great to see that you had a good time with us.
We would be pleased to welcome you back soon. Best regards,
Anne Penz
Guest Service Assistant

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights having booked a family room. That means they fold out the sleeping couch in an already rather small room. As a result we had to go on some sort of climbing adventure over our bags every time we wanted to 'move' around the room.

Quality of the mattresses was very very poor and beds were very not big to begin with. We stayed in the room with our teens (indicated when we booked) and but the sleeping couch was so small and lumpy they couldn't even ly on it without a hip or a shoulder outside of the bed. We should have gone with a regular double room instead of the family room.

Wifi in the room was close to non-existent. Even for an Express hotel the breakfast buffet had a quite limited offering.

Any upsides? The location of this hotel is great, just a few minutes away form the heart of Dresden and for rainy days there's a decent shopping centre just across the road. They have a small but wel secured parking garage. Staff is friendly (but still a bit formal as this is Germany). They rent out some nice bikes (make sure you have cash as you can't pay for them by card for some reason).

Room Tip: Look like there's going to be construction of a new apartment building coming up at the rear of...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Guest_Service_DD, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Fons,
Thank you for your review.
Please be aware that we only sell rooms 18-20 m² where we gladly set up the extra bed for free for your children. It may be then quite tight for a family of four. You are always welcome to book an extra room for your stay so your experience is brightend.
We know about the weak WiFi and are already working on a solution.
We’re looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel lies at the most convenient location ever we have stayed. The conditions of hotel was enough for staying a few days, but there are some issues : a part of curtain was broken, one side of shower head too, and the bed was too soft and it supplied a but sleeping quality. In my opinion the first two problems should be noticed by hotel staff without comments from hotel guests. Therefore I wish they care more about the condition of rooms.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Guest_Service_DD, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear 887aik,

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Located centrally. Private garage for our motorcycle. Standard Holiday Inn franchise, clean and fresh. Helpful staff although understaffed. AC did not work. Wifi did not work in the room. Good breakfast buffet.
Will not return.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Guest_Service_DD, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dresden City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear Stefan,