“Charme of the 1980s or 1990s and typical for private family investments of that time”
Review of Hotel Niggemann

Hotel Niggemann
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Solingen
Reviewed 20 November 2015

I had a really large room as a single room. Something you wouldn't do today. The concept today is to be more flexible with the rooms and therefore all rooms would be doubles.
Those who like stylish interiors shouldn't go there.
My room was very clean but with carpet, something that is difficult. I had a room to the forest (2 large windows) and it was very quiet. The size of the bathroom was above average.
There is a restaurant in the hotel and the food is traditional but above average in the pricing. Wines from the nearby Palatinate and Nahe.
There was no hairdryer in my room. Maybe you can get one at the reception but I didn't ask.
The breakfast with 8€ on top was a good standard and good value for the money.

Room Tip: No recommendation
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 June 2015

I styed in this hotel for 3 nights. I should have checked out after the first night at the hotel. The manager/wirtshafter, a Herr Niggemann is a very, very, very unpleasant person who makes any stay at this place very hard on the guest. He constantly challenges and wants to further discuss matters that in a normal setting are a 1 minute discussion and on to other things.

In my particular case, he wanted to debate whether a reservation had been made (I had the computer print-out in my pocket!) and whether I paid the proper charge?! This was a silly conversation and the first time anywhere in the world anyone has challenged a print-out hotel confirmation from a major hotel consolidator website. I have used the similar print-out n a tiny village in Cambodia...........no problem at all. This is the age of computers!! Herr Niggemann is a really strange guy who wants to cause drama and commotion at all times. Nothing is simple here.

The room itself seemed to be very old and constructed of old material and furniture. It seemed to be fairly clean, but not spotless, as I want/expect a hotel room to be. Mind you, this is not a "cheap" hotel either. At the rate they charge, the room should be nice and the breakfast good. That brings the second issue...........the breakfast............no good. Old looking meats and cheeses. The bread was OK though.

When brought to Herr Niggemann's attention, he denies old meats and cheeses, standing in front of the mess. Then wants to start an argument about what a great deal you got because you booked on-line. The guy is really very difficult to deal with........and once this gets stared, Frau Niggemann gets difficult too. This whole experience was horrible and I agree with other reviewers who filed very negative reviews on this place.

I eventually moved to another local hotel. The people were nice and there were no problems, across the street from Niggemann's Hotel of horror.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank JohnQuid
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I was not going to file a review of this place, as I was so disgusted, thinking about it made me not want to ever bring it up. But, some time has passed and I feel the responsibility to discuss my stay at this hotel, as I have read a few reviews and could not agree more with the issues they bring up. The terms "Terrible", "Worse than Terrible" and a ".....Time machine" are spot on..........the place is a true NIGHTMARE.

I stayed at this hotel with my wife, who is German and of course speaks German in addition to English and a few other languages.............so, communication was not the issue. Herr Niggemann (I did not meet Frau Niggemann) is a horrible person. Argumentative, believing he is always right (even though he is wrong!) and just an unfriendly "host" during our stay. He made mistakes on the billing/invoice and demanded payment.........even though it was later proven he was wrong. The guy is really "out there" with a loud mouth and accusative tone...........especially when he ws wrong and thinking of another couple at his mansion of horrors. Suffice it to say the guy is SUPER unpleasant and a very mean and nasty person. I stand behind this.

On to the room. It appeared clean at first glance.........I think the Frau is in charge of the cleaning crew according to some conversation. Upon closer examination, we noticed the bedding to be "used" with pubic hair and other minutia upon the sheet. Disgusting. I have never seen this, even in my youth staying in lower cost hotels and hostels. Really, really unhealthy. There were a bunch of issues. The three negative reviews of the room next to this one are 100% accurate and I commend these persons in their accuracy.

On to the food.........just bad, old, dried up and looking bad. Who wants to eat this type of food for a German breakfast. Ending up leaving the breakfast area and eventually leaving the hotel after Herr Niggemann wanted to argue more at the breakfast area. My wife wanted to smack his face. You can imagine this was a horrible experience. The guy again wanted to argue the invoice after it was proven to him that he was thinking of someone else. Maybe the guy has a serious problem, who knows...........but this is not the way to act as the proprietor of a hotel.

Please don't stay at this place.............there are much nicer alternatives close by.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Nick_999
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is the worst hotel and restaurant I have ever seen throughout my entire life. Avoid it at any cost.

On my first night, my pillow was smelling somebody else's mouth odor, So nobody had changed it after previous guest's departure. Scandalous! Where is the room service? I was terrified by used bed-linens but predicting there would be no one at the reception, I did not find the courage to get down asking for a change at 11 pm (fixed telephone does not function at all, you cant dial any number, so it was like a toy inside the room)

Following my detailed control, I found hair in abundance over my pillow and bed-linen. This is why Niggemann deserves my verdict of being the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life.

In short, they do not mind even the 'S' of the service satisfaction but now who will come back to this hotel? May be they are after of one shot spot clients at marriages in the castle, But still I do really not understand how an hotel can be directed this way!

In 1972, in the year dating more or less the furniture of this hotel internet was not existing. Today everyone who lived this terrible experience can comment and warn prospective guests on a site like this.

One word about the breakfast: it was worst than catastrophic. Everything in display like sliced gouda cheese, ham, salami, tomatoes, brie cheese was standing there just to say we serve breakfast. Not fresh, not good looking smelling nor tasting. In short, the management must have preferred saying we have breakfast for charging our money giving you in return a restricted quantity of open breakfast food that in my house would deserve to be thrown into trash can. Rubbish!!!
Do not touch anything except bread (if you are lucky and can find fresh) and packed butter.

Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Thibaut B
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Spent two nights here in August while attending a family wedding. Herr and Frau Niggeman were anything but pleasant.(They make Basil Faulty look like a veritable saint) And why do they call this a hotel when it does n't offer any of the services of a normal hotel?. Everything closes at 6pm so if you think you can get a meal or a drink after that ...forget it. German efficiency have completely eluded this pair. They are not able to cope with large numbers and got the bills mixed up.accusing some guests of not paying. While the breakfast was adequate we did have to ask them to replenish the juices and coffee. The staff were extremely rude.....they do not understand the word smile, but then again who would if you had to work for this pair... Overall this place is overpriced and old fashioned and I would advise anyone travelling to this area to avoid it like the plague.....That said we had a wonderful time in Germany. The staff at the Castle,(magnificent) The Waffle House ( great food and ambiance), the little cafe at the bottom of the hill(really sweet and pleasant owner) and the marvelous staff and service and food at the Tri Linden restaurant more than made up for the Niggeman's House of Horrors.......we can laugh now but it was n't funny at the time. Dusseldorf is a wonderful city and well worth a visit. We stayed in the Mercure which we would highly recommend but that's for another review day............

Room Tip: Don't go near this place
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family