“decent museum, difficult for non-German speakers”

Goethe Museum Dusseldorf
Ranked #52 of 177 things to do in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 22 February 2017

I imagine this museum might be a bit nicer if I was fluent in German. All of the signs are in German only, so while I do speak a lot of German, it took a lot out of me to read all the signs. There are only a few rooms in the museum, but for 2€ student price, wasn't a bad way to spend an hour or two.

1  Thank Megan G

Reviewed 3 November 2016

If you are a fan of Goethe this is your sanctuary. If you are not, for very few euros you can visit a lovely house/palace decorated as in the XVIII - XIX centuries where you find lots of paintings and objects of any type from the Romantic period... if you are a sensitive person or attracted by Romanticism you will enjoy it much.

The visit is lonely and peaceful as the museum is empty and you feel like travelling in time, almost as if you were a ghost... Beautiful porcelains and china pieces from the XVIII... and also amazing pieces as the original copy of Gingko Biloba poem from Goethe.

From the windows you have beautiful views of the park in front of the building.

Not an experience enjoyable by children... but who would bring kids to a Goethe museum? (Oh, wait... some parents take them everywhere and then they complain the place was not enough funny for their kids...)

I don't give 5 stars as there is not even a note in english or other language but German. You can find a descriptive tryptic in english in a part of the lobby ... that was not offered to us when we entered and bought the tickets. Do we got the german one.
This is something you get used in Dusseldorf, I guess, they don't make many efforts in you if you don't speak German, you have to work it out...
I guess they don't care about foreigner visitors so that's why they don't have any description in all the museum in other language than German.

1  Thank GenioAzul
Reviewed 11 February 2016

Small museum, old home. Goods pictures, beautiful. Not much to see. Emotional for Germans who know the poet.

1  Thank Dimitri D
Reviewed 22 September 2015

If you really really like Goethe, you will probably love this museum, otherwise I am afraid it can be boring, also kids would probably not enjoy it much....

2  Thank beppo81
Reviewed 3 September 2015

The building itself is a bit outdated and out of care, but that aside, the collection of Goethe memorabilia here is impressive. Even on a weekend, I had enough space to myself to enjoy my time at my own pace.
If you like German literature or just Goethe, this stop should be on your itinerary in Duesseldorf. (But be prepared to read German.)

1  Thank TKTT