All reviews youth hostel bunk beds school groups rail bridge private bathroom school trip city centre shower and toilet night's sleep min walk excellent location rhine towels messe cathedral closet cereal
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I have stayed several times in the last year in the youth hostel in Cologne-Deutz. The property offers a very popular location close to city center, which can be easily reached on foot via the famous Hohenzollern Bridge. The rooms are mostly clean and adequate. Breakfast is included and ok for my taste. Unfortunately, the prices can vary dramatically based on the fair.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed here for a competition. Given that this is a youth hostel, the facilities were quite good. It was very clean and facilities were not bad. Staff were accommodating and friendly too. The location is really good as well because it is just opposite the Koln Messe station, Deutzer Freheit, and just a 5-10 min walk away from Koln Hbf station. It is also just 15min away from Koln/Bonn airport. Although the selection of food is not very plentiful, but it was adequate and not too bad. However, service can be a little slow especially if there is a big group there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank wesley95
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Great location, well priced, clean, upscale youth hostel.
However, the night staff is minimal and is not that concerned with keeping order among the groups. You are at the mercy of other guests as to how loud they are. If you get a poorly behaved youth group staying there (as I did) it can cost you a night's sleep or two.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank veffekt
Reviewed 12 May 2012

With a group of friends I stayed in a four person room, equipped with two bunk beds, a en-suite shower and toilet.
The hostel is bery big and run quite professionally, so it lacks character. That is compensated by the good facilities, cleanliness and central location in Cologne.
Only thing I missed was at least some basic soap in the bathrooms, but other than that the hostel is a very good choice for the budget minded traveller, with a decent free breakfast as bonus.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Jetpacker
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I had made a booking with them in April 2011 for March 2012, and cancelled it in November 2011. When I cancelled the booking the said we don't have any booking so there is nothing to cancel. Surprise Surprise come March 2012 and I'm charged for the booking. Called them twice and emailed them a few times but no reply wahtsoever. Cancellation policy states that free cancellation can be done 2 days prior to checking but I did it months before. I have all the email correspondence and have emailed it to them already, but nothing in reply. Having lived in Germany I think it's really shameful the way this Youth Hostel is cheating tourists. Now I'm having to fight the Credit Card company, waste my time, and money making international calls. I think German Tourism should look harshly at such practices. VERY DISSAPOINTING.

• Stayed: March 2012