All reviews youth hostel bunk beds school groups rail bridge private bathroom school trip city centre shower and toilet night's sleep min walk excellent location rhine towels messe cathedral closet cereal
Reviewed 12 May 2012

With a group of friends I stayed in a four person room, equipped with two bunk beds, a en-suite shower and toilet.
The hostel is bery big and run quite professionally, so it lacks character. That is compensated by the good facilities, cleanliness and central location in Cologne.
Only thing I missed was at least some basic soap in the bathrooms, but other than that the hostel is a very good choice for the budget minded traveller, with a decent free breakfast as bonus.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Jetpacker
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I had made a booking with them in April 2011 for March 2012, and cancelled it in November 2011. When I cancelled the booking the said we don't have any booking so there is nothing to cancel. Surprise Surprise come March 2012 and I'm charged for the booking. Called them twice and emailed them a few times but no reply wahtsoever. Cancellation policy states that free cancellation can be done 2 days prior to checking but I did it months before. I have all the email correspondence and have emailed it to them already, but nothing in reply. Having lived in Germany I think it's really shameful the way this Youth Hostel is cheating tourists. Now I'm having to fight the Credit Card company, waste my time, and money making international calls. I think German Tourism should look harshly at such practices. VERY DISSAPOINTING.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Raghavmodi
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The hostel is located virtually across the street from the Köln Deutz station. To go to central Cologne you have to cross the Rhine from here. It is a large, modern building. I arrived without a reservation. It was a bit difficult to get the receptionist's attention who either had a bad day or the wrong job. After he had consulted with another equally motivated receptionist I was offered a dorm bed. The room was modern with four bunk beds and with a private bathroom and separate toilet. It was clean and modern. Breakfast was simple though plentiful, from the buffet. WiFi is available for pay however, cheap. There is a room for bicycles. The 24 hours shop with drinks and snacks comes in handy. Overall it was a good stay however I thought it was a bit expensive, given you get a dorm bed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank alpenbewohner
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This hostel is near from Koln Hbf (central station). You can go just one station by S-bahn from Hbf. The facility was clean. And you can buy something drink (including beer) and eat inside hostel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Comachi
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The service I experienced were varied. People in the front desk were not really friendly and welcome, but the one in the cafeteria was really nice :)

My friends and I booked the private 4-bedded-room which was in the 4th floor. When we first arrived in the room, there was no sheets on our bed. We thought that they didn't give any. But on the next day, we received message that sticks on our room's door saying that we should make up the bed then when we came to front desk, they just gave it the sheets.... they didn't tell us on the first place.
When we first arrived also, it's not really clean. The temporary cover was untidy and there were some small dirt from food/snack on our bed and on the floor. The room was also quite small. We four couldn't even lay down our luggage altogether.
But, the bathroom was fine. It wasn't bad.

The location is strategic. Right in front of the big train-station which make us easier to go everywhere. Plus, it is near the LANXESS arena, the big stadium there. We were lucky that we're going there during the World cup, so we could easily go there to watch the match.

The other things, the elevator sometimes doesn't work. The breakfast got no varieties.
There's also a game-room, but they only have a big-screen TV there.

This hostel is the kind of place where the school kids stay during their study tour. There are masses of young kids there.
Bad thing is also there is no free-internet!

All in all, the price is quite worth for the room.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends