All reviews small hotel the main train station top floor fresh fruit breakfast room breakfast was excellent cold meats large room cologne cathedral dom christmas euros
Reviewed 22 August 2009

In line with all the other reviews I can only speak positely about this hotel. The rooms are not huge but they are very clean and comfortable. The location is great, within easy walking distance of all main trouist attractions and also great places to eat. Breakfast offers a wide choice and is available until late in the morning, which is great if you don't want to be up and away at the crack of dawn. All members of staff were very friendly and helpful. Their English is excellent, but they are more than willing to put up with your faltering German if you are trying to improve your language skills, as we were! The only slight downside is that there is some work going on in the road just outside the front of the hotel at the moment. My room faced the rear and the noise didn't affect me at all, but my friends, whose room face the road, were woken at 7am by the roadworks during the week. Once this work has finished the hotel will be perfect.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I think all the other reviewers have said it. This hotel is small, very clean, 10 mins walk from the central station and the cathedral. The staff are friendly, ready with recommendations for where to eat. What really impressed me was that at there is a little folder placed on breakfast tables informing guests what is happening in Cologne that day, complete with recommendations for where to go. The hotel is perfect a stop-over or a longer stay. If I have a quibble at all then it is that there are no family rooms - we had to book 2 rooms for a family with 2 small kids. But hey, we had a great day in Cologne.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank CopenhagenMark
Reviewed 5 August 2009

the hotel is just 5 minutes by feet from the main station of cologne and U-Bahn stops, the street of the hotel is very very quiet. the rooms are fantastic, i think it has been recently renovated because everythig is new. The bathroom is very big and full of conforts.
breakfast is served up to 12 a.m. in the weekends and 11 a.m during the week.
The employees are very nice and welcoming.
I advice this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gipsy1984
manfred100, Manager at Hotel Domstern, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2009

Thanks for your feedback, we are so glad and humbled by all those terrific reviews.
You are right that our house was recently renovated and we certainly make sure that is is well kept!
Just to avoid disappointment however for other prospective guests we want to point out, that you stayed in our Junior Suite which is definitely more spacious and has a very big bathroom.
The other rooms are also renovated and comfortably furnished but are considerably smaller.
After all please keep in mind that our house is in the very center of the city and was originally built in 1890, fortunately it was one of just a few buildings in the center to withstand WW2 undamaged.
It is our goal to protect and maintain the atmosphere combined with modern comfort and personal service.
Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again here with us at Domstern Hotel!

Reviewed 2 August 2009

I'm just back home after my travel in Germany. I stayed 4 days in Hotel Domstern and I confirm the good quality of this hotel. the rooms are tiny and very clean, the breakfast is rich and the staff is really kind. besides, the location is very good, just a few minutes from Koln central station...If I come back Koln, I'll stay in Hotel Domstern again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This is a terrific hotel. Staff are friendly and offer truly helpful advice re where to eat, what to see, etc. Room was perfectly comfortable. Breakfast was great (including their own fresh fruit salad!). Location could not be better. I cannot recommend it warmly enough.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business