All reviews leave the key quiet street city centre stay there again foyer germany dom receptionist desk internet
Reviewed 31 October 2017

Cologne hotels get pretty booked up. This lovely and solid old building is a tiny bit off the beaten track but the price is much less than a city centre place and it's reasonably well connected by underground or bus. It's in a quiet street and looks like it must have been an old music academy from the nice displays in the foyer.
We found the room absolutely fine. Spotlessly clean. Breakfast (buffet) was more than adequate even including an attempt at bacon and eggs! Front of house was friendly and cooperative. Somehow, we made a double booking and they refunded this without a murmur.
Overall, a definite recommendation for Koln.

Room Tip: Ask for Rhine view
Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2017

My adult son and I stayed 1 night, we had no reservation. The evening desk clerk, Julia, was awesome. Welcoming, friendly and helpful. Not only did she help us out with how to operate the parking meter but told us about a "local" German restaurant that was just perfect. Room was good size, and had a beautiful view of the Rhine river. Best buffet breakfast we have had in germany. Historic hotel, quiet neighborhood.

Room Tip: Had an elevator but had to climb about 10 stairs to access it.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

I am not sure where to start with my review. This was the second time we stayed during the IDS in Cologne and I have the feeling the hotel gets worse each time.

First issue was on arrival when I was put in a smoking room. I walked in and smelled it immediately. Went back to reception and ask if somebody has smoked in this room. The receptionist asked back why? After a while I been told that yes sometimes they use it as smoking room.
I did not realise that smoking rooms still existed. I told her then that I can't stay in that room and we booked a none smoking room. Been then told that they are fully booked and I can try to swap rooms in the morning. Well not great but not much I could do.

Next morning the receptionist was very unwilling to swap my room and said they could give the room a special treatment to get rid of the smell. After further discussion and me not accepting it she offered me to move my room.
Coming back from convention I had a none smoking room. Result....

Breakfast is ok but feels more like a cheap B&B instead of a restaurant.
Rooms are old fashion and in need of some tlc and love. No bar available or restaurant for dinner.

Customer service is very poor as other issues happened during the stay which have not been dealt with appropriately which I won't go into detail.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Reisender4631
Reviewed 8 January 2017

Hotel Viktoria

The word quaint works well here. This is a step back in time. Located on a quiet street next to the rhine and a short taxi ride across the bridge to Koelnmesse. I was in town for photokina. This hotel was an old music museum and the owners haven’t changed a lot of the interior. They use real keys, you have to walk to the second floor to get an elevator. I usually stay in modern hotels when away for business, they can be mundane but no risk. But on this particular occasion most places were extremely expensive and ‘change' is good.
This is a well run hote, several guests headed out for a run along the embankment of the impressive Rhine the morning I was there.
Check-in was fast and relaxed. The room was very nice, there is a mini bar and the drinks were affordable. I had a couple of beers with some pretzels.
The television in the room has mostly german channels as would be normal, but they have several international news channels in several languages. They are all tuned in well, quality is great. The wifi is free, worked very well in my room.
The room was very clean, had a good nights sleep, really enjoyed breakfast. Great service. Checkout was really fast, they organised a taxi for me. Recommended if you want a quiet spot in Cologne.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2016

This is a small but historic hotel about 20 minutes walk from the Cologne Cathedral. The staff are very friendly and helpful, can converse in English and are willing to help with any problems you may have. There is limited parking at the hotel but plenty of public parking which is reasonably priced.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, and if you have the right room, you can see the Rhine river from your window. Breakfast is served in the morning but the hotel doesn't have a restuarant or bar for evening use.

Room Tip: when booking online, you can select the type of room you would prefer
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business