See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 July 2018

Stayed for 4 nights last week as part of a group. Had to check in at the sister hotel across the road as reception was closed when we arrived. The hotel is in a good position near the square and tram stop but that means there can be a lot of noise. As there is no Air Con and if it's hot, there is no option but to have the windows open. The entrance, corridors and stair cases are dingy and smell strongly of cigarette smoke. Laundry trolleys are left in full view all the time, making it untidy. The room, bedding and towels were clean and the bed was comfortable but all areas are in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was tiny, the shower tray chipped and the room smelled of drains. On a good point, there was a reasonable choice for breakfast which was quite acceptable. Overall a very disappointing hotel.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
SteigenbergerRostock, Guest Relations Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear Linda W,

thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Sincerely
Steigenberger Hotel Sonne

Reviewed 11 June 2018

The wi-fi is still dismal. You get on for anything from 2 minutes to 10 and then you're kicked off. And don't bother trying to force a reconnect, you have to wait for it to let you back on in its own sweet time. There was no other wi-fi available within range of my room on the second floor that I could utilise instead. The hotel itself is a pretty typical 3 star, although the soap dispenser in the shower wasn't filled, which might have proved inconvenient under other circumstances. Ideally shower cubicle would be bigger also. The location is actually fantastic, a stones throw from the Rathaus and just a short walk to the pedestrianised heart of the city centre where the lovely University building is located.The staff were helpful and I was able, thank god given the heat, to leave my backpack in the luggage storage when I arrived some 5 hours before my actual check in time.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
SteigenbergerRostock, Guest Relations Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear CheshireRockFan,

Sincerely
Hotel Die kleine Sonne
Sonja Höppner
Guest Relations

Reviewed 28 November 2015

Nice hotel near the market square and tram station (just 1 minute by foot). Clean and cozy. Big beds. Friendly staff. The only bad thing is poor Wi-Fi connection. However, you can use free Wi-fi in a hotel across the road.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
SteigenbergerRostock, General Manager at Die Kleine Sonne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2015

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our staff and the cleanness of our rooms.
I look forward to welcome you in our Hotel again soon.
Kindly regards,
Carsten Jaeckel

Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

Reasonable prices room (for two) right near the square. We were able to walk everywhere. Unfortunately with no AC you need to leave the windows open (especially in August when so hot!). I tossed and turned all night because of the various outdoor sounds, then come 6am the sounds of others (many were yelling). The towels were small but we had enough for the two of us and everything was clean. The staff at the front was very nice and helpful.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2014

Upon arrival my Air Berlin Frequent Flyer card was very carefully examined and I was informed that it was not a credit card! Wow, go figure I never would have imagined this and the quality of the visit only went down from there. Upon arriving in the room, itself which was prepaid I found that the room was very, very tiny. Hardly room to turn around and I had booked the room for 2 people. Sort of hard to tell how big the room actually was since there was only a very minimal amount of light coming from the one bed side light that worked. The switch by the door never turned anything on or off the entire dreadful weekend. There was a window but it opened onto a very dreary and dreadful alley looking area which never seemed to get much sun.

The bath area was also tiny but at least it was reasonably well lit. No room to move around though. Also, in the shower there was no place to place soap or other items. There was a dispenser of some sort of universal soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. But, no place to set a container of soap or a sponge while showering.

Last but not least there was the bed. Undoubtedly THE most uncomfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. Could well have been filled with hay. And, to go with the room it was tiny. Complete with one tiny pillow and one tiny duvet pro person. Very poor sound insulation between rooms to help round out the package.

Upon check-out I was informed by the ever professional staff that I owed yet another 4+ Euro for something called "loggia" was the best I was able to understand. I assume I might have been able to pay for this with my Air Berlin card but eventually it was removed from the bill which had already been prepaid.

Never again and no I did not even get any frequent flyer miles.

Not really an issue because after taking one shower I found that the towel was tiny and not much use for drying ones body.

Room Tip: Select another hotel. I strongly suspect that they do not have any good rooms at least based on my experience.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business