All reviews fantastic spa great hotel gymnasium maschsee guests germany
Reviewed 18 July 2018

The Aspria Maschsee is a wanna-be luxury resort, which is trying but not succeeding. Located on the border of the Machsee, in the outskirts of Hannover city, the hotel is easy to reach with your own car, but requires a taxi if you do not have one. They do offer free parking in the outdoor parking space that is closed by a gate. There are no parking valets available.
The hotel doubles as spa and training facility, which can make you feel a bit intimidated unless you yourself bring training cloths, sneakers and swimwear. If you are just in town for business or a conference (like me), this may not be your best hotel to choose, even if it is quite close to the Hannover Messe (if you drive...).
The room I had (Yankee) was quite nice, clean and large with a kitchen area, as well as a bathroom with bathtub. The room numbering was strange, and required a bit getting used to - instead of numbers, they used the alphabet, naming each room after the American signalling names - Yankee meaning Y, Zulu Z and so forth. A fun twist, but I am not convinced it makes sense to play on a well-recognised system as using room numbers.
The hotel layout requires you to walk for a long time to reach your room: two floors only, with at least 30 rooms on each floor, placed on only one side of the corridor. Mine being at the end of the alphabet meant I was in the end of the corridor, far far away from everything. This was a good thing in that it was generally quit, but it also meant I got to work out just walking to my room.
A big setback was the lack of air condition in the room, meaning I had to open all windows in order to get some cooling.
Often when I travel, I need to eat. A luxury hotel like this, I expect a high-quality restaurant with both great service and great food. Unfortunately, neither was the case. When I came to the restaurant (three days), each time it felt like I was interrupting the weighers, forcing them to actually work. This being close to Norther Germany, the service can be a bit like that, but at a luxury resort I do expect to be treated with respect and to be served in a decent manner. The food was not especially good either, for example the lammhaxe (lamb knuckle) was presented in a nice way (standing up), but the meat was dry, and the tomato sauce totally ruined the tasted of everything else on the plate. The other plates I had was equally disappointing (I ate there three days, trying something different each day). Having people wearing towels in the restaurant also made the experience less than optimal.
The only positive thing at the restaurant was the wine. They had a quite nice grauer burgunder (pinot gris for the rest of us) from Germany.
Breakfast was included in the price, but I never figured out where it was.
Was all bad? No, of course not. The location is fantastic, especially if you enjoy running or walking. Take a walk along the see.
The spa was truly great too, I had one of the best massages I have ever had at their spa. 90 minutes of pure enjoyment.
And the personal at the reception was very welcoming and cute in all their helpfulness.
All in all, I would not mind taking my wife to spend a spa-weekend here, but I cannot recommend this hotel for business / conference trips.

Room tip: Ask for a view of the lake.
Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 13 July 2018

This is a great hotel for spending time at a spa. It is close to the motorway and directly on the Maschsee with great views into the city of Hannover. It is a former bathing centre and has a large spa and beach. This is first class and has free entry for hotel guests.
However, the hotel has a small number of rooms and these do not come up to the same standard. There is no air conditioning (important in summer as the rooms are under the roof). If you leave the window open, then you get the noise from people on the lake or nearby restaurant. The water in the shower runs hot and cold. The power sockets by the bed are switched and are easily turned off (important if charging devices overnight). The wifi in the room is relatively weak, although the speed is OK. The reception covers both the hotel and the spa and can get very busy.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

This is an unusual place to stay. Based within a very large health spa, with huge areas of workout equipment and exercise rooms, you feel like you are staying in a very large and high end gymnasium.
Rooms are on an upper floor away from the gym, and are comfortable and a great view over the lake.
However, if you are not a fitness person it will feel strange. To get to the restaurant you have to walk in between lines of exercise bikes and various other machines, all being used for workouts.
The menu is also very healthy as you would expect, and breakfast is very basic.
So not a normal hotel, but not uncomfortable except in terms of being a fitness fans location.
Not a negative review but maybe not my first choice as a normal hotel would suit me better
If you love fitness workouts this is the place for you

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Q1476QBpaulm
Reviewed 30 June 2016

I stayed in Aspria for one night during a business trip. Unfortunately I did not have time to take advantage of the vast amount of wellness and sport offered. The room was new and in a design hotel style. The bathroom was just as new and really nice. Great shower and spacious. The breakfast offer is poor. The service and lobby is rather functional than luxury or anything.

Date of stay: September 2015
Reviewed 29 April 2016

From the website it appears that all rooms have the same category and price. Also it seems that all rooms have lakeside view. Yes; almost all rooms. I seem to end up in a room that was farthest away from all the action and with a panoramic view of the …...parking lot. And it was only the parking lot that could be seen. Since it is a popular Sports-club, the parking lot was constantly crowded with people so I had to close the darkening curtains to prevent people waving at me while I was undressing. There were no other (lighter) drapes so I had to switch on the lights during daytime.
Also I had to keep the windows closed at night because of the constant noise from the car and train traffic (trains run right behind the parking lot).
I requested the reception to possibly find me another room but naturally they told me that all was full.

When you completely are into training your body you could have a swell time at Aspria. When you are also into keeping your body healthy, food wise; you better look elsewhere.
I had dinner in the restaurant (to at least enjoy some of the lake view) and found that only the very small portions are healthy. The variety and quality of the meal was more like the standard offering you can find in every low (burgerlich) class German restaurant.
We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day to keep your body healthy. Aspria Hotel apparently never heard of this statement because there was less offering than a basic bed&Breakfast. Also the offering contained mainly the body health killers like scrambled eggs/bacon/white bread rolls. When I requested muesli (it was not present at the buffet!), I was provided with one! small jar of mixed standard supermarket stuff.

Showering was a challenge also. It seems that my 6-feet height is unusually tall for Aspria because the shower tube did not provide the length that would enable me to really stand under it while showering. Also the shower head holder did not remain in this elevated position. But that is something that might be repairable.

All in all; Maybe the lake side rooms are nice (just hope you get one). Go there when you work on your outer body; Don’t go there when you care for your inner body.

Room tip: Demand lake side view and look elsewhere for all breakfast or dinner
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Aspria_DE, Manager at Aspria Hannover Maschsee, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your stay with Aspria Hanover and for your valuable feedback on tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected and we will take your feedback into the Club to work on solutions, to change some points which we will be able to change, to provide a better and more comfortable time with us.
2 of our 19 rooms, the Apartments, do not have a lake view. You can find this information in the room description on our homepage while create a booking for it. We were sorry that we were not able to change the room during your stay, if there were a chance we would have done so as we understand that these rooms are not the preferred ones. We would be happy to receive a second chance from you and to welcoming you as guest again in the future, so we can show you that we were able to improve some items. Please get in contact with us so we can arrange the best room for you for a possible stay.

Your Aspria Team