“Breathtaking and Amusing”

Tigerpalast Variete Theater
Ranked #51 of 434 things to do in Frankfurt
More attraction details
Owner description: Curtain up in the Tigerpalast. Here twice a night the leading lights of international variety captivate a house of 190 guests with their proximity and charisma. Thrilling moments and the best of entertainment in tangible exchange with a spellbound audience – it’s a far remove from the stress of city life.Factor in the atmospheric live orchestral accompaniment and dynamic cuisine of a high professional standard and the evening becomes an experience unforgettable in its entirety - in the heart of Frankfurt.
Reviewed 25 November 2014

Brilliant spectacular entertainment, A Variety of acts that amaze and entertain from the first minute. We could not decide which we liked best; trapeze for the energy and skill, or the clown or the strong duo. All were outstanding. Would love to return as I hear they change the acts frequently

There are newer reviews for Tigerpalast Variete Theater

Reviewed 20 November 2014

Tigerpalast has been in Frankfurt for decades. It is unusually expensive (about €75, depending on whether you go on a weekend or weekday) per person, and anything you order to eat or drink is unusually expensive for the area. An example is a 0.75 liter carafe of wine is over €40 (for one of the cheapies). Main Courses are over €50 as well. OK, well, I didn't go there to eat anyway, but, since you have to get there early to get the best seats, well, include your "nibbles" along with the price.

The Bathrooms are immaculate, scented, real towels and beautiful. On the other hand, the theater itself is old, with old chairs and tables, and looks a bit ragged inside. I have seen diners in New Jersey which are much better appointed. Wherever you sit, you won't have much room. They pack the tables - our table was about 18 inches (45cm) across, and they put four chairs at it. You would not expect this sort of old decor at this price level.

And now, the show...

Although billed as "breath-taking" performances, the show would not remind anyone of "Cirque du Soleil". It would remind you of old Vaudeville. Most of the acts were from other countries. There were a few different jugglers. One was a Czech, very good, although not much different from what you might see on the street where you throw a few coins in the hat. The second, a pretty Italian who hung upside-down and juggled with her feet. She was very good.

There was a professional pick pocket too. He was good, called people onto the stage and stole there watches and wallets. A clown/comic, also good, a couple of Russian (?) ballet dancers with a small routine, a baton twirler from New York City (Not bad, but, a baton twirler? Really? At this price? I don't know how she ever got this job). A trapeze act, from the USA, was probably the top-paid act. It is a small club, and the trapeze hangs from the ceiling. They were a bit older, and probably their circus days are finished. Maybe it isn't there fault - how much of a trapeze act can you do in so small a space?

Probably the most unique part of the show was the MC. At first, I didn't think too much of him. He came out and juggled his hat. Later, he had all kinds of cute, anecdotal stories which are fun - but only if you are really, really good in German. One bit he does is speaking as if the alphabet didn't have 26 letters. He continues the story dropping another letter from his dialogue each paragraph. If you aren't a German-speaker you won't understand the jokes, however.

All-in-all, I enjoyed my night there - but it is way, way overpriced for what it is. I may have been one of the few people (on a Sunday Matinee) there under the age of 60. On their website they sometimes have specials. These are normally less-popular times to go, like matinees and away from the holidays. If you find a special price it might be worth a visit.

3  Thank Fluglotse1
Reviewed 1 March 2014

After having dinner in the catacombs of Tigerpalast, we attended the show. What a deception! Even though the band was quite good, this couldn't save the appalling performances of which the magicien was the most disturbing one. I am somebody who laughs easily but this show was a joke. Many of the other performances were mediocre at best. Palazzo has a permanent show in Frankfurt and I would recommend going there.

1  Thank DeKokkies
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I am not a fan of such shows but I must say that I enjoyed most of the acts on that evening.
the only thing that bothered me were the lousy seating conditions. we booked way in advance, the fancy package with dinner, but at the end we got the seats just below the stage with no leg room. at one point I stopped asking sorry from the lady beside me as I accidentally kicked her every time I moved. some members of our group went to stand by the bar as it was not possible to see the show from their seats. watch out!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

within an indoor area like that can do such performance really cool~
i like all those performers flying above my head~

2  Thank foxkoehn