“This is not a 4 star hotel.”

Savoy Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #217 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The location is ideal if you need to be in the heart of the city. Lobby is not bad, but the rooms are tiny! The bath is less than 3 square meters and did not have a funtioning shower, only a small bath for children. And as the showerhead was impossible to attatch to the wall, it was rather complicated to wash away the dust from traveling.
10 euros for internet per day is also unacceptable.
It seems to be value for money with it´s 50 euros per day, but add 10 for internet and 12 for brakfast, it will not be my choice the next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jostein
There are newer reviews for Savoy Hotel Frankfurt

Reviewed 11 February 2012

This hotel is well located near the main station but is an average quality hotel.
I had a small double room that for no reason had a roll away bed in it for taking up space. I should have complained to hotel management but after flying for 26 hours I could not be bothered.
This hotel is not great, but not bad. If you need a place to stay near the railway I am sure you could do worse.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We chose this hotel because reviews on the location were relatively good and as we were only staying in Frankfurt for 4 nights over the New Year we wanted to spend as little time travelling back and forth from the city centre.

The hotel is less than 5 minute walk from Frankfurt’s main train station which will be extremely convenient for some although we got a taxi from the airport to the hotel which was around 25 Euros. I’m glad we did as later on in the week we used their underground and spent ages working out how to get from A to B so after a flight it might not have been a good idea to try and make our own way from the airport.

Check in was a little lengthy only because there was just one person on the desk and a large party attempting to book in before us who appeared to be having problems. We were given our keys to a room on the second floor and took the lift up.

The room itself was a major disappointment, we’d seen some reviews saying the rooms were small but we’d thought really how small could a double be? In truth – our room was a comfortable single passed off as a small stuffy double. The small bed was pushed against one wall so my partner had to climb over me or shimmy down the bed to get in or out. There was a little seating area with a table at the end of the bed but to be honest there was so little leg room as the table it was squeezed in between the wall mounted seat and the TV and fridge area that it would have been preferable just to have the floor space. The bathroom was tiny and a little smelly. If you’re over 5ft 3” forget having a shower without a crick in your neck as the bath is mounted off the floor.

During our stay someone came in to fix the toilet (although we were never told what was wrong with it) and he left something nasty behind the toilet which wasn’t very nice.

The room has a wide radiator way too big for the room so it was very warm even on the lower settings but you had the option of a ceiling fan or to open the window which opens out to a wall of windows, not a nice view at all. The best thing about the whole room was the metal shutters which shut out all the light if you fancied a lie in. Although the cleaning staff do start pretty early so if you want a lie in you may have to put your ear plugs in. There are no tea and coffee making facilities which isn’t unusual outside the UK but there is a mini fridge stocked with small selection of soft and alcoholic drinks.

We had real difficulties with our internet log in which the hotel staff couldn’t help us with as the service is provided by a third party who they just gave us the telephone number for. When we called them we were left on hold for 5 minutes then heard ‘partying noises’ in the background then were cut off.

There is only one English speaking channel available which was CNN (repetitive) other than the pay per view film which we did attempt to watch only for the film to cut off three quarters of the way through. Again the hotel staff couldn’t help us as it was a service offered by a third party but they submitted a refund claim to the company for us.

The location of the hotel meant that you could pop over to the train station for a snack anytime you like or the city centre is about 10 minutes wall away. It’s true that the hotel is a t the dodgy end of the main road in to town full of sex stores and off licences which appear to the local hang out for the resident undesirables but once you’re past that part of town it’s not too bad.

For the price and perhaps if you’re only staying for one night it might be bearable for after 4 nights we couldn’t wait to leave and stretch our legs.

We will return to Frankfurt as it's a beautifu place but would we stay at the Savoy again – absolutely not.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor, tiny rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I chose this hotel because I was arriving & leaving franfurt via train so needed something close to the station & this is what I got. The hotel is just opposite to the main entrance of the station with lots of public transport in the area (tram, bus, U-bahn); however, the area around the station is one of the worst areas in franfurt, there are a lot of beggers & drunk people in the area & its a guarantee that you will be approached by one or more whenever you walk in the area.
The hotel itself is very basic; however, I couldn't have any complaints as I got a very low rate for 2 weekend nights. As previous reviewers mentioned, the staff at the reception are a problem. At both times when I arrived and checked-out (8pm & 11am) I found no-one in the reception & I had to ask the guy at the bar to go & find someone for me, which he did.
The room itself was of good size with plenty of space for my luggage & all my stuff, and clean. The bed was comfortable & the heater worked really well. The room had a TV, desk & chair, safe, & a ceiling fan. On the other hand, I had some issues with the bathroom. Although it was clean & of good size, the water flow in the shower was not strong which was very uncomfortable, also some of the towels were not that clean.
All in all, you can only stay at this hotel because its so close to the station & very cheap; however, I think with better research you can find better options.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mobz11
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We check in the hotel on 21 December at around 6-7pm and check out the next day morning at 6am. But that is enough to feel the rude and bad behavior of the front desk which is a middle age caucasian.
Though there are no other customers, the front desk appears to be very impatient and couldn't wait for our inquiry and wanted to chase us away from the front desk at the shortest possible time.
We saw another family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) just infront of us and they also received the same kind of rude treatment as if we are the second or third class customers.

When I go to my room, the few room adjoining was undergoing renovation and replacement of the carpets and other works and the room were left opened. The are workers constanly walking in and out of these rooms and I could even smell the glue adhesive at the corridor and inside my room even when my room door is closed.

The room that I stayed is extremely small and cold even with all window and external blind system closed fully (that is speaking from someone that usually left a small part of the the window open in winter). when I tried to turn on the air condition and it didn't work. Then, I saw the chargeable air-condition notice on the table which answers why the air-con didn't work.

I check out the next day morning at 6am skipping the breakfast.

I will not recommend for other to stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple