See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 February 2016

Nice simple hostel for a couple nights in Hamburg, big rooms, clean, like staying in a hotel so no kitchen. Location is good to explore the area and access to U-banh and S-bahn. Need more Steckdose in the room and wifi is poor in the room. Will come back next time I go there.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2015

Stayed here in september 2012! I still remember the wonderful restaurant and the bright yellow- and orange painted room with two separate beds in. It felt very nice and warm. Good hospitality, we tried the nice apple-wine???, it tasted wonderful! Many thanks.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Actually, I would like to give 3,5 stars to this very convenient hostel. Why not 4 stars? Because I thought the curtains are too thin, so I woke up at the crack of dawn. As Schanzenstern is situated in the middle of the action there is some noise at night. Not too bad, but it woke me up a couple of times during our two night stay. And the mattresses are quite harsh, meanwhile the pillows were to thin. All of us, five in total, agreed on these (minor) issues.
On the other hand, we were very pleased with the size and cleanness of our five bed room and the roomy shower. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great, vibrant nightlife and the S- and U-bahn station is less 5 minutes walking. Last but not least the hearty breakfast was worth the 7,50 euros.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank supergaggle
Reviewed 23 April 2012

good place to stay, big rooms, nice view, i've been there with a friend for just two night, in a double bed with shared bathroom. good position, amazing breakfast with organic food. when we've been (march 2010) the weather was freezing and it snow a lot, but the rooms were lovely warm. quite place with shared bathrooms very clean

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I LOVED this hostel! I can't say enough about it. It's the best one I've stayed at in Europe so far. I showed up unexpectedly and thank god there was a spot for me. I like that the dorms are mixed with males and females. I prefer that to sharing with just girls. It makes it easier for me to socialize. The staff was quite helpful and friendly, and you can't beat the location. It's right in a lively district with tonnes of shops and pubs. There are so many pubs that if you trip you're likely to fall right in to one. It's great for younger people!

It's a newer/revamped hostel, so it's beautiful on the inside. The rooms are very bright and roomy with huge windows that open up. The bathrooms are GREAT! Extremely clean. There was a big table in my room with enough chairs for the amount of people staying in the room, so it's great if you want to play cards or something. I ended up chatting with all my roomies, and we all went out together that night. It was a blast.

The hostel has a restaurant in it, as well as a good sized outdoor patio area in the center of the building complex. It's got some trees and it's nice and shady. The continental breakfast in the morning is pretty good, so I'd recommend paying for it. (Just beware: the yogurt isn't sweet. haha. I found that out when I tried to make a muslix). The internet wasn't working when I was there, but that was probably the only downside I can think of. HIGHLY recommended :)

Date of stay: June 2009