“Good Food, Great Setting”

Ristorante Portonovo
Ranked #191 of 4,014 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eimsbüttel
Reviewed 21 July 2015

We had dinner here on a very pleasant evening in July and sat at a nice table outside. There is no doubt the setting and view is what sets Porto Novo apart. Looking out on the Alster on a summer evening as the sail and row boats went by is difficult to beat. The food is also quite good. I had a pasta dish that was tasty and my companion had a fish dish she raved about (I do not like seafood, but this seems like the specialty here). The service was average and slow at times, but we were content to sit, sip our wine and take in the view…we were in no hurry. All in all, I would recommend Porto Novo, especially when the weather allows you to sit outside.

Reviewed 14 July 2015

The setting by the lake is what makes this place special. The food was...well...I don't even remember what I had as it was a business meeting and the food was actually a bit of a distraction. But I do remember thinking this was a place to come back to for a quiet dinner with a view. Next time I'll pay more attention to the meal. Stay tuned.

Reviewed 13 June 2015 via mobile

Ordered food via a waitress who acted as though we were wasting her time. Wine came and she slopped it into our glasses in her haste, but obviously thought this was ok.
Starter came quickly but then waited over an hour for the main courses (which were thankfully delicious). These were brought by another waitress who was friendly.
Main courses finished and decided to check how long we had to wait for desert and the waitress wasn't sure!! Anyway what we wanted wasn't available!!
bill came quickly but no apologies for long wait...but it was obvious by then the waitress didn't care.
100 euro for starter, wine and two main courses. Would pay it for the food but would expect far better service.
Would not recommend.

Reviewed 12 June 2015

Good place if you like Italian food. During the summer, the terrace must be great, but now the weather was still a bit chilly. Fresh catch of the day, traditional Italian recipes, good wines. Simply a place to be ...

Reviewed 6 May 2015

I was in this restaurant for a Friday late lunch with 2 colleagues.
It was a sunny day and, obviously it is a very nice place to be when the weather is good. You are directly on the main lake and you have panoramic view on the sailing boats.
The inside is a full glass window room offering the same panoramic view as the outside terrace. Although the decoration is a bit poor, the tables are nicely set-up with bright white tablecloth.
Terribly sorry to say, this is where the positive side of the experience stops!
Service was just inexistent! The waiter and waitress have a very nice brasserie uniform but they should be train how to be attentive to customers. Although the restaurant room was half empty it took quite a while to get a waitress to take our order. They have a 35 euros for 3 courses menu, I don’t know if this formula existing for dinner. So, we went for the 3 courses.
We got the drinks and entry fairly rapidly but then when waited easy 20 mn until we claimed for our main dish. I appear we’ve been forgotten and we had to wait 15 more mn to get served.
After the main dish, we began to feel like abandoned again when we claimed for the desserts. “really, you ordered some desserts?” said the waitress. We ordered espresso at the same time and …. of course, we got the cafes well before the desserts.
As entry I took the Duet of salmon and beetroot tartare with avocado and mango compote. For main, Penne Rigate with beef tips, oyster mushrooms in truffle sauce and for dessert, the dessert of the day, the very traditional …… white fresh cheese with red berry compote (nothing Italian, but truly from Hamburg!).
Based on the tripadvisor reviews I was expecting a culinary experience. Unfortunately, nothing special. Presentation was insipid and the food was fairly good but no incredible taste and really far from true Italian taste.
This was a disappointing experience. I generously give a 3 stars rating because of the location.