The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

There are some poor reviews who describe this memorial as "underwhelming" but I would say it is the exact opposite.

The memorial is deceptively large, and the layout of the stele makes the memorial appear to be much smaller than it actually is (especially in pictures)

The memorial is very haunting to walk through, I'd recommend going at a quieter time so there aren't kids using it as a playground

Write a ReviewReviews (29,610)
All reviews
"information centre"
in 297 reviews
"brandenburg gate"
in 900 reviews
"murdered jews of europe"
in 254 reviews
in 523 reviews
"stelae"
in 250 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The memorial is well placed right next to the Reichstag German parliment whre Hitler headed up his atrocities of mass murder but the memorial has no obvious narrative or meaning. If it was not for a little blue sign pist pointing to it you would not have a clue what it was other than perhaps a modern art installation?
I am not sure if the number and different sizes of the concrete blocks have any actual significance to the numbers and places of the people murdered?
Also it is stsrting to look tatty with litter weeds and some of the blocks crumbling. Germany is the richest country in Europe and historically responsible for the mass murder of millions of Jews and other groups Hitler took a dislike to so really they need to do some serious work on upkeep and upgrading this memorial.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A city that is looking to the future but has learnt lessons from the past. This touching and sobering memorial reminds us that ‘power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely‘.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

If you get to Berlin, you need to visit this place. We stopped one afternoon and my son said we need to come back again tomorrow, and we did. Very moving subject and memorial, this will make a great impact on anyone that visits. Be aware there are pickpockets in this area, my son was approached by the typical clipboard routine, but the offender was chased away by security. Nevertheless a moving experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Without a doubt this is a strong memorial to a horrible time in history. It's hard for me to give these types of places 5 out of 5's because it's sad to me that they even need to be there. We visited this memorial during a walking tour so we did get some additional insight and thoughts behind the memorial. Which in my opinion was desperately needed. It was the designers intention to have no signs, information or provide details as to the design of the memorial. But (in my opinion) that added to some confusion. For example, while we were there a family had their two children playing on the blocks. Someone else got very upset with them and started yelling (quite inappropriately) that they were extremely disrespectful and didn't know how to raise their children. Thankfully our Tour Guide was able to intervene and the family had no idea it was a memorial to the murdered Jews. They thought it was an outdoor art exhibit and truly felt bad. But could something like that be avoided? I think more information and context needs to be provided. As much as it is such a powerful memorial I could make the argument that yelling at a family is also inappropriate at such a sacred place.

Travellers who viewed The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe also viewed

Been to The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe? Share your experiences!