“You Shouldn't Miss a Visit”

The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
Ranked #5 of 1,023 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Without a doubt this is a strong memorial to a horrible time in history. It's hard for me to give these types of places 5 out of 5's because it's sad to me that they even need to be there. We visited this memorial during a walking tour so we did get some additional insight and thoughts behind the memorial. Which in my opinion was desperately needed. It was the designers intention to have no signs, information or provide details as to the design of the memorial. But (in my opinion) that added to some confusion. For example, while we were there a family had their two children playing on the blocks. Someone else got very upset with them and started yelling (quite inappropriately) that they were extremely disrespectful and didn't know how to raise their children. Thankfully our Tour Guide was able to intervene and the family had no idea it was a memorial to the murdered Jews. They thought it was an outdoor art exhibit and truly felt bad. But could something like that be avoided? I think more information and context needs to be provided. As much as it is such a powerful memorial I could make the argument that yelling at a family is also inappropriate at such a sacred place.

Write a ReviewReviews (30,238)
All reviews
"information centre"
in 297 reviews
"brandenburg gate"
in 894 reviews
"murdered jews of europe"
in 254 reviews
in 696 reviews
"stelae"
in 256 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed walking around the memorial quite unusual every block is different one way or another.. there’s also an underground museum in the area well worth a look

Reviewed 5 April 2018

It's difficult to put a rating on a website such as this for something that commemorates and memorialises such atrocious events. I took my 7yo son here and explained, in brief, what had happened and why we were there. We walked around the stones and watched as the rain hit them and he told me that it looked like the stones were crying because they were sad.

Of all the art I have ever seen or experienced this was the most profound and remarkable. I'm writing this not as a critique of the installation itself but as a recommendation to others to go and see it. Go and walk around it and say a silent prayer for all of those whose lives were immeasurably altered by such evil.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This memorial was really interesting. It generated a lot of conversation in our family because it’s so unlike other memorials. It gave us opportunity to reflect.
Walking in between the concrete pillars is an interesting experience.
It wasn’t a somber place when we visited, lots of children around. Don’t expect peace and quiet.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The monument is very moving..close to the Reichstag the Topography of Terror and Hitler's bunker. From outside you see "headstones" but as you go through the monument you can bring other interpretations.Our group spent time discussing our impressions after the visit for some time.

Travellers who viewed The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe also viewed

Been to The Holocaust Memorial - Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe? Share your experiences!