“Could be better.”

Ranked #566 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Sydney
“Could be better.”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel as it was recommended by a friend but if I had known what it was really like I would have given it a pass.

I booked the room with a bathroom and as stated in the 2008 reviews it is really basic so all you get is a room with a bathroom (no frills). There is no air conditioning in the room so I had to rely on an open window for fresh air, only the window just tilts forward a little.

There are better hotels closer to the main parts of town which cost the same or close to the price you pay for this so called hotel which is more like a hostel just do your research or go the the tourist information and tell them what budget and where and they can help you book a room for a small fee (EU$4).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
cork, ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I booked this hotel based on previous TripAdvisor reviewers, who highlighted Hotel Ansbach's excellent location and cleanliness. They had also said that the rooms were basic, so I was not expecting frills. The hotel was everything previously stated: everywhere was immaculate, room and bathroom included. The room itself was very bare, just 2 single beds, a table with 2 backless chairs and a night table. As I was using the hotel as a base to sleep, this posed no problem. The venetian blind didn't shut and the curtains were see-through, but luckily, I was on the fifth floor and felt safe from prospective peeping toms. The little bathroom was a nice surprise: white-tiled with modern appliances, although the shower was not very powerful. The breakfast buffet was generous and the coffee was excellent. All in all, I got what I paid for - a budget hotel. The 2 bonuses were its location and its spotlessness.

• Liked — Cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — Room very basic
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
USA
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Stayed with a group of ten at Hotel Ansback for two weeks as part of a study abroad trip for my grad program. We checked in without any problems and were on the third floor facing the street. The room was clean and basic. Two twin beds, desk with two chairs, nightstand with lamp, TV mounted in corner of wall, no alarm clock, phone, armoire for clothes and bathroom with shower. Hotel was quiet for the most part except for a few larger school groups that were very noisy, but they were gone after a few nights. The breakfast each morning was alright but after a week it got tired - but not the hotels fault. Consisted of: toast, dry cereals, lunch meats and cheeses, olives, boiled eggs, jams, butter, yogurt, apple and orange juice, coffee or tea. A good spread considering what other hotels offer. It ends promptly at 10 - they will turn the lights off on you if you are still in there. Front desk staff was somewhat cold except for the lovely Russian lady and a man. Two other ladies were exceptionally unfriendly and unhappy. The only problems we encountered were with Internet - we paid 4 euro per 24 hours as a group rate for sometimes non-existent service. Normally it is 7 euro. I attempted to pay with a credit card and the lady at the front desk wanted cash. I was not pulling more money from the ATM just for this as I was departing the next day and finally persuaded her to use the machine that was in clear view - this is a hotel after all! I must say that her attitude was not hospitable at all and bordered more on rude but I just let it pass and went on my way. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet, non-touristy area and a clean and no-frills sort of place. Nearby good eats: Noah's, Cafe du Paris near the zoo, the pizza place across from the hotel, and the sushi restaurant near the U-Bahn across Kurfurstendamm. Enjoy!

• Liked — not touristy area, clean, quiet, decent food nearby
  • Disliked — internet did not work well, front desk rude at times, no alarm clock
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Switzerland
Reviewed 23 March 2008

This is my fourth time in Berlin and at Hotel Ansbach and will never go to this hotel again.

FIRST DAY: very noisy! My room was at the second floor next to the housekeeping room and someone was slamming the door every five minutes! I could not sleep or just relax in the afternoon.
I kindly asked the young lady not to slam the door (who previously rushed in my room without knocking at the door -- I was half naked!!), she apologized... 10 minutes later : BAM BAM BAM! . I returned to the housekeeping room: there was a man (I tried to explain the problem but no one in this hotel except at the reception speak English, they speak German of course and Russian, so good luck!)

SECOND DAY:
At the breakfest lounge: I asked if there were some hot milk. A very unpleasant person coldly answered: "THERE!" (there was some cold milk only...)
After breakfast I went back to my room. "BAM, BAM!" every five minutes!
I returned fot the third time to the housekepping room and asked for silence! Another lady apologized but a few hours later : "BAM, BAM" !!! A real nightmare.

Finally I decided to explain the problem to a nice lady at the reception, who kindly wrote a paper in Russian for the housekeepers... (the only pleasant and polite person in this hotel...)

THIRD DAY (the day I'm writing this review from my room): I spend the whole night out of the hotel and arrived this morning. I kindly asked the receptionnist --another lady I had never seen before-- if it was possible just to change the towels in the bathroom, and not to make my bed as I wanted to sleep the whole day and not to be disturbed by the housekeeper.
She was VERY unpleasant -- not even a smile -- and told me that customers had to keep their towels which were not supposed to be changed every day!! I found this very strange for a hotel, also because their towels are very small and thin, and I replied to the lady that in hotels, customers put the towels on the floor to say "please change the towels". She seemed completely unaware of this custom... She coldly replied "ok for this time" (...)

I will never return to this hotel also because they have absolutely no consideration for returning customers.

I was so annoyed by their attitude that yesterday after lunch, that I decided to visit a small hotel in the same street (Ansbacher Strasse) for my next trip to Berlin and asked if I could have a look at one room : people were very kind, and were offering a single room for almost the same price!

• Liked — The room was clean.
  • Disliked — the window blinds which not working properly, very bad insulation.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 February 2008

The location of the hotel is perfect, being next to KaDeWe (posh & biggest department store in mainland Europe, think Harrods & make sure u try their champignons!) and the Zoo.

Bahnhof Zoo station has enjoyed a bad image due to drug trade but the hotel location is perefectly fine and I really enjoyed my night-time walks. After all, it's a minute or 2 away from Europa-Center shopping, Ku'damm with all the designer shops and in the heart of Berlin. You also have a tube station on the street and the nearby Zoo station is the centre of Berlin traffic, so you can easily go anywhere, although a lot of sights are within walking distance. Conveniently for tourists, tourist information is also nearby - you could wish for nothing more in terms of location.

The hotel itself is nice, with a friendly Eastern European receptionist, and there is nothing to complain about concerning the rooms. I saw the memorial church from my window and it was really quiet at night! The guests are a mix of budget travellers - Italian and French pernsioners, German school groups etc and the breakfast buffet is enjoyable.

There is a spa on the top floor of the building next-door which may be worth checking out, and I really enjoyed my late cups of Turkish tea opposite in Cafe Ansbach, which is incredibly cheap. For a gourmet experience, try KaDeWe 7th floor. I really felt sorry when leaving cos I felt like home, like a true Berliner.

I've been back many times since!

All in all: good opportunity to save on accomodation without losing in quality and enjoy a luxurious holiday in great surroundings.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — There's nothing to dislike!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)